Search the forum,

Discuss should i have a room thermostat with my combi boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baileys i feel very sorry for you having to deal with this.
if i were in a better position experience wise i would come along and give a ruthless report on it.
You should have not needed to turn to this forum with this if it was done correctly in the first place!

To add to what the guys have said.
as this is a new install you should have not one but two room stats.
one for living areas and another for the sleeping or more commonly upstairs and downstairs.

It should comply with this document.

http://www.idhee.org.uk/TACMA Guide 2010.pdf

out of interest how old is the installer? On an unrelated note.

Baileys i feel very sorry for you having to deal with this.
if i were in a better position experience wise i would come along and give a ruthless report on it.
You should have not needed to turn to this forum with this if it was done correctly in the first place!

To add to what the guys have said.
as this is a new install you should have not one but two room stats.
one for living areas and another for the sleeping or more commonly upstairs and downstairs.

It should comply with this document.

http://www.idhee.org.uk/TACMA Guide 2010.pdf

out of interest how old is the installer? On an unrelated note.
Thank-you The plumber is in his late 40s, only been plumbing for about 4 years, the GSE was early 20s. Is the plumber allowed to hang the boiler, flue, and connect water pipe to the boiler, if he has done a boiler course, i didnt think he was allowed, he is not a GSE.

he is not allowed to do any gas work unless he is gas safe registerd and competent to work on this type of appliance. this includes siting/hanging the applaince, and fitting the flue.

he can pipe up the water pipework aslong as the gas is not connected at the time, but the boiler needs to be fitted first by a gas safe engineer.

Last edited:
he is not allowed to do any gas work unless he is gas safe registerd and competent to work on this type of appliance. this includes siting/hanging the applaince, and fitting the flue.

he can pipe up the water pipework aslong as the gas is not connected at the time, but the boiler needs to be fitted first by a gas safe engineer.
Thank-you for that and im sorry for being a pain but im having to sort this out myself and im only just learning about central heating.
I have contacted gas safe by email and phone three times to make sure im getting it right and they told me the same as you but his family have now found out about this and they are not at all happy that im questioning his ability to do the boiler. They say that because he has done a course on boilers that he can do all the installation apart from the gas connection.
Gas safe say that i should have it checked but i need to name the installer, i cant do that because the family may cause trouble. I need to be reassured that what i suspect is right.... so thank you.

Thank-you for that and im sorry for being a pain but im having to sort this out myself and im only just learning about central heating.
I have contacted gas safe by email and phone three times to make sure im getting it right and they told me the same as you but his family have now found out about this and they are not at all happy that im questioning his ability to do the boiler. They say that because he has done a course on boilers that he can do all the installation apart from the gas connection.
Gas safe say that i should have it checked but i need to name the installer, i cant do that because the family may cause trouble. I need to be reassured that what i suspect is right.... so thank you.

you have every right to suspect its not right.

its not just your money, heating and hot water its also your safety.
if he hasn't installed the flue correctly or if the gsr hasn't set up the boiler right.

between them they have an awful attitude towards yourself, the customer.

and you've questioned it correctly, he hasn't installed the system to regulation and between them they haven't filled in the commissioning sheet correctly (stating interlock)

Really don't feel bad as you need this sorted.

in reply to the family, tell them that if hes qualified to do the work and has nothing to hide then he has nothing to worry about and gas safe will deem him competent to do the work.

the sheer fact that they seem upset should be telling you all you need to know.

im sorry i cant really help other than reply to this forum post.

you have every right to suspect its not right.

its not just your money, heating and hot water its also your safety.
if he hasn't installed the flue correctly or if the gsr hasn't set up the boiler right.

between them they have an awful attitude towards yourself, the customer.

and you've questioned it correctly, he hasn't installed the system to regulation and between them they haven't filled in the commissioning sheet correctly (stating interlock)

Really don't feel bad as you need this sorted.
I know i do need to get it sorted but i doubt myself when they tell me different to what i think and i feel that im in the wrong.
Its taken me 4 years to save for this central heating and i was looking forward to having a warm house, i wish i had my storage heaters back now.
Ive learnt my lessen and i will never get a tradesman in that im an acquaintance with again. I dont know if i can convince him that he should be qualified to fit a boiler, i dont know if he realises it or not but he is doing a good job at convincing his family that he is.
The flue is 19cm from the air brick, i think its meant to be 30cm. He told me to block it up if im not happy.
Im feeling better now that you are all telling me that im right and that he is not meant to be doing the work that he says he can because he is good at convincing me that he is legally allowed to do it.

in reply to the family, tell them that if hes qualified to do the work and has nothing to hide then he has nothing to worry about and gas safe will deem him competent to do the work.

the sheer fact that they seem upset should be telling you all you need to know.

im sorry i cant really help other than reply to this forum post.

I just need you all to tell me that im right, i know thats all you can do and you are helping me lots, i just doubt myself when they are all verbally attacking me. I tried to explain to them that if he has the gas safe card to show me then all is good but he hasnt but they still think that he is allowed to do it.
I need more faith in myself.

tell him to join this forum and explain to us why he is qualified to do the work.
When i first started this topic i was worried that he may be on here and might recognise the photos of the boiler and realise that i was talking about him but as time went on i was hoping he was looking and seeing what i was trying to explain to him.

I just need you all to tell me that im right, i know thats all you can do and you are helping me lots, i just doubt myself when they are all verbally attacking me. I tried to explain to them that if he has the gas safe card to show me then all is good but he hasnt but they still think that he is allowed to do it.
I need more faith in myself.

Attacking you over the phone? Text messaging ? Facebook?

He obviously hasn't done a 'course on boilers which allows him to hang' them even if one existed, which it doesn't, otherwise he would have known about the distance from the vent. FFS reading the instruction manual that came in the box would have shown you this.

This is the exact reason why plumbers can't hang boilers and do everything other than the gas pipe work, as the flue he has installed ( which is classed as gas work by definition in the gas safety installation and use regulations 1998 if he wants to check up on it) is wrong!

The flue elbow doesn't look to be located right, my bet is the hole is slightly to high and the elbow isn't pushed in all the way. (I may be wrong as I'm not overly familiar with this boiler, are the elbows quite long?)

The abuse is to stop you doing the right thing, which is shop the pair of them in to gas safe.

You'll get a similar reaction off most registered gas engineers. We pay out continuously to maintain the registration,so why should idiots like him get away without the expense?

Last edited:
Attacking you over the phone? Text messaging ? Facebook?
One family member lives next door and one over the road so i had to face them today. They are all telling me that he can legally do the work, i can defend myself though but they are trying to convince me that im wrong about him not being able to do fit the boiler flue etc.
This is why i come on here to confirm it again.

He obviously hasn't done a 'course on boilers which allows him to hang' them even if one existed, which it doesn't, otherwise he would have known about the distance from the vent. FFS reading the instruction manual that came in the box would have shown you this.

This is the exact reason why plumbers can't hang boilers and do everything other than the gas pipe work, as the flue he has installed ( which is classed as gas work by definition in the gas safety installation and use regulations 1998 if he wants to check up on it) is wrong!

The flue elbow doesn't look to be located right, my bet is the hole is slightly to high and the elbow isn't pushed in all the way. (I may be wrong as I'm not overly familiar with this boiler, are the elbows quite long?)

The abuse is to stop you doing the right thing, which is shop the pair of them in to gas safe.

You'll get a similar reaction of most registered gas engineers. We pay out continuously to maintain the registration,so why should idiots like him get away without the expense?
The elbow doesnt look like its positioned right to me either, it looks like it has been forced into place, if thats what you mean. The flue is only 19cm from the airbrick aswell ive read its meant to be 30cm, he told me to block the vent if im bothered by it.
I agree, youve paid to become qualified, he thinks he is so good at his job that he doesnt need a qualification to prove it, thats the impression i get anyway.

Turn your gas supply off, switch the power off to the boiler and get a gas safe guy in to make it safe.

Just in case you need proof, taken from GSIUR regulations 1998

Regulation

work on a gas fitting to be carried out only by a competent person; and employers of gas fitting operatives, together with other specified persons (eg those in control of the work such as building contractors), to ensure that operatives have the required competence for the particular work being done. Employers of persons carrying out work on gas fittings/service pipework and self-employed persons doing this work are required to be a member of a class of persons approved by HSE; at the time of publication of this ACOP/guidance this means that they should be registered with the Gas Safe Register

Definitions of a gas fitting

gas fitting” means gas pipework, valves (other than emergency controls), regulators and meters, and fittings, apparatus and appliances designed for use by consumers of gas for heating, lighting, cooking or other purposes for which gas can be used

Just in case you need proof, taken from GSIUR regulations 1998

Regulation

work on a gas fitting to be carried out only by a competent person; and employers of gas fitting operatives, together with other specified persons (eg those in control of the work such as building contractors), to ensure that operatives have the required competence for the particular work being done. Employers of persons carrying out work on gas fittings/service pipework and self-employed persons doing this work are required to be a member of a class of persons approved by HSE; at the time of publication of this ACOP/guidance this means that they should be registered with the Gas Safe Register

Definitions of a gas fitting

gas fitting” means gas pipework, valves (other than emergency controls), regulators and meters, and fittings, apparatus and appliances designed for use by consumers of gas for heating, lighting, cooking or other purposes for which gas can be used
Thank-you for that.

Feel your anguish! Hope this gets sorted . The blokes a moron and a blagger. I would just ignore the paso he's conning out with.

i wouldnt worry about the flue as there is some movement in these baxi's without loosing the seal.

what baffles me is...if you are not allowed to install an appliance that deems it A.R

then why has the boiler been mounted on a combustible surface, and one could say (tongue in cheek) with signs of scourching?????????????

15682d1383849412-should-i-have-room-thermostat-my-20131107_181030.jpg

Feel your anguish! Hope this gets sorted . The blokes a moron and a blagger. I would just ignore the paso he's conning out with.
I try to ignore him and his family but its not my personality to be able do that. I get so wound up by it. How do people not understand how dangerous it is to be doing gas work when you are not trained. I have to think of my neighbours as well, if my gas isnt save then they are not safe either and i need to make sure that they are.

i wouldnt worry about the flue as there is some movement in these baxi's without loosing the seal.

what baffles me is...if you are not allowed to install an appliance that deems it A.R

then why has the boiler been mounted on a combustible surface, and one could say (tongue in cheek) with signs of scourching?????????????

15682d1383849412-should-i-have-room-thermostat-my-20131107_181030.jpg
Im not really understanding all you are saying, i dont know what an ar is.
What could the scorch marks be, it smells like burning but where would it be coming from.
The reason it was suspended from the wall was because the gas pipe runs down the center of the back wall

Boiler on ply is no problem at all, most manufactures say this is fine.

The scorch mark is obviously from the lack of a heat mat when soldering... .

Ar is 'at risk' abbreviation for a gas appliance

Boiler on ply is no problem at all, most manufactures say this is fine.

The scorch mark is obviously from the lack of a heat mat when soldering... .

Ar is 'at risk' abbreviation for a gas appliance

Thanks for that, he didnt use a heat mat thats probably why its scorched.

Thank-you guys for listening and answering my questions tonight, no doubt i will be back here again before this saga ends:smile5:

Yea, if he's of a bit of a know it all like your saying, I'd be letting gas safe know of this activitys, bring him down a few pegs and show his family that he is infact wrong.

Some people do it knowing they're in the wrong just to make a cheeky buck but he just sounds plan arrogant.

He will probably only get a slap on the wrist. All of us here pay our registration and retrain every 4 years so I'm not sure why he thinks he's any better and can be excluded from that.

Yea, if he's of a bit of a know it all like your saying, I'd be letting gas safe know of this activitys, bring him down a few pegs and show his family that he is infact wrong.

Some people do it knowing they're in the wrong just to make a cheeky buck but he just sounds plan arrogant.

He will probably only get a slap on the wrist. All of us here pay our registration and retrain every 4 years so I'm not sure why he thinks he's any better and can be excluded from that.
Its my word against his though because he got the work signed off by a GSE and you are right they wouldnt do much anyway

Well if a GSR signed it off gas safe will inspect and send him a notice to correct the dangerous and defective works. At his expense!!
Hopefully make the GSE think twice about signing off substandard and illegal work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if a GSR signed it off gas safe will inspect and send him a notice to correct the dangerous and defective works. At his expense!!
Hopefully make the GSE think twice about signing off substandard and illegal work?
I read that you can ask for a gas inspection and if you are chosen then it could be six months before they come and check it. Ive turned my boiler off now.
Other than that i will have to make a complaint, that wont go down well with them all, i think i will be watching my back.

Have a read of

Attachments

• 26 July 2011 - TB 014 - Gas work.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 23
Have a read of
Thanks mike i will look at it when my son gets home, im having trouble opening the file.

Im getting a bit closer to getting things sorted. I rang a builder that i last saw about 25 years ago and told him my situation and he is putting me in touch with a GSE that he totally trusts to do his gas. His niece was killed by a faulty gas boiler, installed by an illegal fitter so he is very careful about who he has in and he was livid when i told him about mine situation.
Ive also decided to ring the GSE who connected me because its his name on the benchmark he needs to know what a mess the plumber has got him into.

I wouldn't bother ringing the GSE as he came and connected the gas supply and should have checked everything was correct when he was there! As for the plumbers family twisting on at you, tell them to off! It's you and your family with a badly fitted boiler which could possibly kill you. I couldn't imagine why you wouldn't fit a room stat? Hard wired £10 wireless £50 both take 10 mins to wire up!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to should i have a room thermostat with my combi boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock