Search the forum,

Discuss should i have a room thermostat with my combi boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't bother ringing the GSE as he came and connected the gas supply and should have checked everything was correct when he was there! As for the plumbers family twisting on at you, tell them to off! It's you and your family with a badly fitted boiler which could possibly kill you. I couldn't imagine why you wouldn't fit a room stat? Hard wired £10 wireless £50 both take 10 mins to wire up!!
The reason why im calling the GSE is because i want to put pressure on him to get some money out of the plumber to pay for me to get an independent GSE to check his work and correct what is necessary. Its his name on the benchmark.
I dont see any point in complaining to gas safe about them because its only my word against theirs that the plumber did the work and if i dont get some money back from the plumber then he will just get away scott free. All that will probably happen is that the GSE will be told to correct his work but i dont want him back in my house.
I have a guy coming tomorrow to do a check list of the faults and i can go from there. I trust him.

Boiler on ply is no problem at all, most manufactures say this is fine.

The scorch mark is obviously from the lack of a heat mat when soldering... .

Ar is 'at risk' abbreviation for a gas appliance
A little slow on responding, but thoughts are with the scorched Ply, that it went from AR to ID when the soldering was carried out and ended in a NCS. LOL

AR= At risk
ID= Imediately dangerous
NCS=Not to current standards
More pc psycho babble to mess with your head ! lol

Yep and officials
Councils
police
social workers
doctors
old people
children
dogs
Oooops sorry People !
Oh and mucked about with food !
Eat meat not muck like burgers and sausages !

Last edited by a moderator:
Wassup, :bigcry: we do every'ting else just not GSR, (we subcontract the decommissioning) so would love to know what we should look out for when we come across a baddy.

Feel like they've all gone to play footy and I'm left on the bench :bigcry:

Wassup, :bigcry: we do every'ting else just not GSR, (we subcontract the decommissioning) so would love to know what we should look out for when we come across a baddy.

Feel like they've all gone to play footy and I'm left on the bench :bigcry:

Basics really, incomplete flue, black marks from poc around appliance, the smell of gas.... If it looks wrong it normally is!

black marks from poc around appliance, the smell of gas.... If it looks wrong it normally is!

Really! Black marks from a surefire mean zilch, no mention of smell of gas, if you pay cheap you get what you deserve imo and i know people are struggling to make ends meet blah blah blah. Heard it all before.

I didnt ask for cheap heating, i just asked for a quote. I paid the going rate, seeing as i paid him cash and didnt get a room stat it works out the same as the person who lives two doors away that had their heating installed a few months ago. I didnt know he wasnt going to give me a receipt.
So i deserved it then did i?

don't take it too strongly bailey, Tamz i's an old hand and has seen more than most what problems a suspiciously low quote causes.. we have a slightly different view on pricing ect ect. sadly (if you had gotten more than that one quote) you got the bum deal.

i'f you had used any of us you would likely have have paid closer to the £4000 mark but have gotten a quality install.

don't take it too strongly bailey, Tamz i's an old hand and has seen more than most what problems a suspiciously low quote causes.. we have a slightly different view on pricing ect ect. sadly (if you had gotten more than that one quote) you got the bum deal.

i'f you had used any of us you would likely have have paid closer to the £4000 mark but have gotten a quality install.
I got four quotes, all GSE apart from him who said he wouldnt install the boiler....my highest was £3.500, I went with the person i did because his mum lives upstairs to me and he is...was a friend and i decorate for him sometimes. I thought i could trust him.

You payed cheap and cash which is worth another 4 or 500 on an invoice. I'm not saying it is your fault you didn't get the quality of workmanship you desired. You went with what you thought best. But had you gone with a legit installer most likely you wouldn't be on here. We all live and learn.
I get guys to do work for me cash in hand but i'm in a bit different position from the man (woman) on the street in that i know and have worked with them for many years so know what to expect.
Btw the guy you had out today to look at it will get you sorted out no problem.

At the end of the day, new install must meet Part L building Regulations as well as the Gas Safe stuff and may be Part P for the wiring. So a room thermostat is required as part of the job. Discretion on this is only on system updates, not for a full new system.

At the end of the day, new install must meet Part L building Regulations as well as the Gas Safe stuff and may be Part P for the wiring. So a room thermostat is required as part of the job. Discretion on this is only on system updates, not for a full new system.
Thats all i wanted.....just a working system that meets the regulations, it doesnt matter how cheap they do it, they should make it safe and working properly.

But had you gone with a legit installer most likely you wouldn't be on here. W
The plumber told me he wasnt installing the boiler, he said he was getting a GSE to do it....he did it when i wasnt at home, when i questioned him after he had done it he convinced me he was allowed to as long as he didnt connect the gas.

This chap is no professional if he is trying to blag out of the roomstat work.

The cash world doesn't work like that as you have learned. Usually all you will get is the basics hopefully to standards.
Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement.
That can be applied to every avenue of life.
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]
[/FONT]

The plumber told me he wasnt installing the boiler, he said he was getting a GSE to do it....

Maybe that is when you should have thought mmm.........

Don't worry. Stan will get you sorted out. We all have made mistakes in life.

This chap is no professional if he is trying to blag out of the roomstat work.
I know he is not, its hard when its a friend though. I dont usually doubt myself but i did this time. Ive learnt a big lesson.

Btw my biggest mistake cost me near a half million £. I didn't realise it at the time either as i walked her up the isle :smile:

The cash world doesn't work like that as you have learned. Usually all you will get is the basics hopefully to standards.
Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement.
That can be applied to every avenue of life.

I get your point but i could of spent £5.500 and got just the same deal, thats what he said he would of charged if i wasnt a friend......you just dont know ...do you. Nobody knows what they are getting really until the jobs done.

Btw my biggest mistake cost me near a half million £. I didn't realise it at the time either as i walked her up the isle :smile:
No what you mean." Hurricane romance", all huffing and puffing to start with, then you loose your house.

No what you mean." Hurricane romance", all huffing and puffing to start with, then you loose your house.

And the rest:lol: I never realised i was worth so much on paper but her lawyers did. I got the bit that wasn't on paper and worth (word removed) all!

Well you told me that i deserved it..... so guess what im going to tell you:smile5:

I get your point but i could of spent £5.500 and got just the same deal, thats what he said he would of charged if i wasnt a friend......you just dont know ...do you. Nobody knows what they are getting really until the jobs done.

5 n a half grand in his dreams. Even Big Gas wouldn't have taken that.
You will be wiser next time around and i do sympathise with how you have been treated. Most times people offering jobs on the cheap are never a bargain.

5 and 1/2 grand? I would fit you gold plated rads for that and a roomstat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to should i have a room thermostat with my combi boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock