Search the forum,

Discuss should i have a room thermostat with my combi boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said before
i have questioned whether i did get the right installer but its a bit late now. I thought they were competent, how was i meant to know. The benchmark has been filled out as i said but he has ticked the box that says boiler interlock provided and as i said above he said its nothing to do with a room stat.

A simple explanation ?
Boiler interlock is not a physical device but an arrangement of the system controls (room thermostats, programmable room thermostats, cylinder thermostats, programmers and time switches) so as to ensure that the boiler does not fire when there is no demand for heat. In a system with a combi boiler it can be achieved by fitting a room thermostat.
In a system with a regular boiler it can be achieved by correct wiring interconnection of the room thermostat, cylinder thermostat, and motorised valve(s). It may also be achieved by more advanced controls, such as a boiler energy manager. TRVs alone are not sufficient for boiler interlock
This is what i read and tried to explain to him but he wont listen.

Then get rid of him. Cut your losses on it and get a professional in. I've followed your posts and I'm abit concerned about your install. Can you post pictures of the boiler install?

Then get rid of him. Cut your losses on it and get a professional in. I've followed your posts and I'm abit concerned about your install. Can you post pictures of the boiler install?
so am i worried. I dont want him to do anything to my heating anymore. I know i should cut my losses but im very angry for the situation he has put me in because i know his family well but i dont want to involve them as its not their problem.
I will post some pics, what exactly do you need to see.

I'd like to see the boiler, the flue, the pipework to the boiler and the gas meter please if poss.

Attachments

• 20131107_181332.jpg
    20131107_181332.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20131107_181116.jpg
    20131107_181116.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 20131107_181052.jpg
    20131107_181052.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20131107_181040.jpg
    20131107_181040.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 71
  • 20131107_181030.jpg
    20131107_181030.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 20131107_182806.jpg
    20131107_182806.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 74
The flue needs sealing inside and the pipework is extremely close to your electrics.
Is your gas meter next to the boiler cupboard? Where does the white waste pipe run to?

The flue needs sealing inside and the pipework is extremely close to your electrics.
Is your gas meter next to the boiler cupboard? Where does the white waste pipe run to?
The gas meter is in the cupboard next to the boiler and the white pipe goes into the sink waste.
I did ask if the boiler could leak as its so near the electrics and he said it shouldn't.

He's basically taken your money and run. Your family is going to be affected by this so why not let his family know what an a$$holÂŁ they are related to. I would be reporting them both to gas safe. 1. The 'plumber' illegally installed appliance ( the gas pipe is not the only bit you must be gas safe registered for, who out of interest decommissioned, purged and capped old supply? )
2. The muppet who connected the gas and fraudulently filled in paperwork? Yes he commissioned it but he was complicit in the installation by the 'plumber'

He's basically taken your money and run. Your family is going to be affected by this so why not let his family know what an a$$holÂŁ they are related to. I would be reporting them both to gas safe. 1. The 'plumber' illegally installed appliance ( the gas pipe is not the only bit you must be gas safe registered for, who out of interest decommissioned, purged and capped old supply? )
2. The muppet who connected the gas and fraudulently filled in paperwork? Yes he commissioned it but he was complicit in the installation by the 'plumber'
I know, you are right in everything you say but the people i have spoken to about it just tell me to get someone else in. How do i know though that the next person is not going to rip me off and start wanting to replace things that dont need doing, its taken me a long time to save up for my heating.
Im also not the type of person to let someone get away with doing this to me, they are making me look stupid and its winding me up even more.
Ive tried explaining to them that i need a fulling working legal system but they think what they have done is ok, they dont see no wrong in it.

Well . First thing is take some photographs of the work and we can all pick fault,,, but then actually give you a list which you must get sorted, a list if what you might like to get sorted and a list that you can sort?

Firstly as previously requested photos then some of the radiators.

Where are u located?

My advice would be to contact someone maybe from a reccomendation from here ask for a quote to bring up to spec and give the original guy say 7 days to correct or you will claim cost of work from him ?
A lot depends on whether it was a mates rates job or you have a full paperwork trail ?
Might be worth contacting Gas Safe you would have to ask the guys on here as I am not in that club and not sure I want to be !
Maybe post your quote if you have one you can hide the installers details .

Why hide installers details ..... Unless they are mine ? Name and shame the doosh!

I couldn't actually see any bonding, (earthing), certainly should have been tested to ensure Zs of earth terminal adequate. Also looks like none of the pipes are supported.

Ther are lots of reasons why your newly installed boiler isn't building regs compliant. Hope you haven't paid them in full yet.
Who is responsible for meeting the requirements of the Building Regulations?
Whoever carries out the building work should be responsible for ensuring that the work is compliant with the Building Regulations. Responsibility ultimately lies with the building owner though, who may be served a notice if work doesn't comply with the Building Regulations.

I couldn't actually see any bonding, (earthing), certainly should have been tested to ensure Zs of earth terminal adequate.

Not in the scope of most gsr's as you know and no requirement to do so. Only requirement is to inform the householder to get it checked usually with a pre-printed card.

My advice would be to contact someone maybe from a reccomendation from here ask for a quote to bring up to spec and give the original guy say 7 days to correct or you will claim cost of work from him ?
A lot depends on whether it was a mates rates job or you have a full paperwork trail ?
Might be worth contacting Gas Safe you would have to ask the guys on here as I am not in that club and not sure I want to be !
Maybe post your quote if you have one you can hide the installers details .
I wouldn't call it mates rates as his quote was only a couple of hundred less than the other quotes i got. He only wrote the name of the boiler on the quote that he was installing. He did tell me that if i wasnt a friend then his price would of been three times the amount, i told him that he wouldn't of got the job then, so yes he thinks he has done me a good deal.
So basically im screwed, i will get over it soon but i hate the thought of him getting away with it. He is so smug, he sees no wrong in what he is doing.

This looks like a totally new installation to me with new wiring new gas meter etc ?
Whoever did the electrics would need to be certified ?

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP

Easy solution.
Ring both the plumber and the GSR who signed it off and telll them you are going to ring Gas Safe and ask for an inspection (the will do that for free).
If thy are wise, their rses will start twitching and they will be round sharpish to get you sorted.

3amazuhy.jpg
Just seen pictures . Fault 1 flue is too close to air vent, if bricks are 73 or 65mm the did stance is less than 300mm. Page 6 of boiler guide I think? Distance to opening or vent from a flue.

Fault 2 no eath on meter outlet.

Fault 3 flue looks to be poorly fitted into boiler and not sealed to brickwork.

Pipe work missing a few clips and it's very close to your electrics but they are less important.

I would anticipate that all ga safe would do is send installer a ncs letter and invite the 'plumber ' to join gas safe.

The flue and thermostat will require a gas safe engineer . Earth is a sparks job or qualified gas fitter.

You could remove air brick and replace with bricks or cement it over (looks poor tho)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure on electrical regs as seems too many conflicting opinions so have always handed all over to the sparks they have the knowledge and right kit .
I was told you need part p but then to be copliant with part p you also need to be 17th edition and then electrical testing so really not sure just avoid and pass it on !

3amazuhy.jpg
Just seen pictures . Fault 1 flue is too close to air vent, if bricks are 73 or 65mm the did stance is less than 300mm. Page 6 of boiler guide I think? Distance to opening or vent from a flue.

Fault 2 no eath on meter outlet.

Fault 3 flue looks to be poorly fitted into boiler and not sealed to brickwork.

Pipe work missing a few clips and it's very close to your electrics but they are less important.

I would anticipate that all ga safe would do is send installer a ncs letter and invite the 'plumber ' to join gas safe.

The flue and thermostat will require a gas safe engineer . Earth is a sparks job or qualified gas fitter.

You could remove air brick and replace with bricks or cement it over (looks poor tho)
I feel like ripping it all out and just open another bottle of wine!

Whereabouts are you? It's all very well commenting on pictures but there's nothing like seeing the installation in the flesh.

OK, so you saved a couple of hundred quid - (you've had more than a couple if hundred quids worth of advice for free fom here :) )

The plumber clearly isn't prepared to listen to you , so follow Tamz's advice above - it wont cost you a penny, AND will ensure you get a fully compliant system

If they don't fix it ALL within 7 days, then refuse them future access and spend the couple of hundred quite with a GSR fitter from this website, and I'm sure they'll put it right for you.

You'll then sleep well at night ( a couple of bottles of wime will do that too :) )

OK, so you saved a couple of hundred quid - (you've had more than a couple if hundred quids worth of advice for free fom here :) )

The plumber clearly isn't prepared to listen to you , so follow Tamz's advice above - it wont cost you a penny, AND will ensure you get a fully compliant system

If they don't fix it ALL within 7 days, then refuse them future access and spend the couple of hundred quite with a GSR fitter from this website, and I'm sure they'll put it right for you.

You'll then sleep well at night ( a couple of bottles of wime will do that too :) )
I didnt want them to know that i was getting it checked though, i dont want any trouble and i know they will cause some.
Anyway all ....thanks for your free service, i will go and sleep my wine off now.:wink5:

I didnt want them to know that i was getting it checked though, i dont want any trouble and i know they will cause some.
Anyway all ....thanks for your free service, i will go and sleep my wine off now.:wink5:

At the end of the day you've not been given the service you should've Baileys.

NONE OF THIS IS YOUR FAULT! Please don't blame yourself. You're more knowledge on heating systems now than you had a few days ago. But that's only because your gut said it was wrong and you were right to listen to it.

Post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL] and link back to this thread.

You need someone in who knows what they're doing!

At the end of the day you've not been given the service you should've Baileys.

NONE OF THIS IS YOUR FAULT! Please don't blame yourself. You're more knowledge on heating systems now than you had a few days ago. But that's only because your gut said it was wrong and you were right to listen to it.

Post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL] and link back to this thread.

You need someone in who knows what they're doing!
Thanks croppie, i sort of know its not my fault but it sometimes feels like it.
My plan is to get a gas engineer to have a good look at the system and to tell me, in his opinion if all is ok, i am worried because my plumber seems to be only abide by the rules he likes so i dont feel save with this gas at the moment.
Someone has told me of a plumber that they have known for a long time so if he is gas safe then i will see if he can pop in, if not then i will do as you say and post it on here.
Once i know exactly what and if there are any flaws in my plumbers work...other than the obvious.. then i will have more confidence to confront him.

My plumber still insists that he is allowed legally to hang a boiler, put in the flue and connect the wet pipes when he is not a GSE but leave the connection to someone that is. He said he can because he has done a coarse on boilers.......i thought you had to be a GSE to do all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to should i have a room thermostat with my combi boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock