Discuss Replacing an immersion heater thermostat with a cylinder thermostat. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a problem with the thermostat that is located in an immersion heater element fitted to a direct HW cylinder (located in an attic). It operates properly for a few weeks and then for some reason the stat trips. As the element is 27” long I guess that sometimes it can be prone to bending slightly as it reaches peak temperature and makes contact with the thermostat.

Would it be possible to discard the element thermostat and replace it with a proper cylinder thermostat? This would appear to negate the ‘bending’ element problem but can anybody see any reason as to this arrangement not being acceptable?

Thanks for any advice.

Thought the thermostat was in a separate phial of the immersion heater element fitting. You can just unscrew the two contact wires and pull it from the phial. With the symptoms you have given, it sounds like the element is slightly pin holed and shorts out when it heats up. So change the whole element and might as well change the thermostat whilst your doing it.

Thanks for replying. Yes, the thermostat is in separate phial and I have tried replacing it on several occasions but, at some stage, regardless what thermostat is installed, it will trip. Hence my question about the bending element making contact with the sheathed section that houses the thermostat. Changing this type of stat for a proper cylinder type might perhaps deal with this issue.

You say the element could be pin-holed. Would this be likely on an element only 7 or 8 months old? It is an Incalloy type which I thought were supposed to be well protected.

The new ones are carp. I've had to replace new ones quite a lot. Not sure if anyone makes a decent one anymore.

a cylinder stat is completely different from an immersion stat, wired differently and operating differently. you cannot just substitute one for the other.

Incalloy immersion heaters are usely recommended for hard water area's, I cant see how you are bending the element to such an extent that it is touching the part that holds the temperature sensor ! as a Direct cylinder has got nothing else inside that will interfere with the fitting of a 27" heater ! If your cylinder is in the attic where is the cold water storage tank that supplies it ? or is it a case that you are trying to fit a 27" heater in a Fortic cylinder ??

a normal cylinder stat does not have a non self resetting cut out, so no you cant change one directly for the other.

the current would be totally different also, cant see a cylinder stat being designed to take the amps. It would need some simple to eletronics to diy it at a guess. It would not be advisable imo.

Last edited:
A cylinder stat is designed for indirect heat ie shutting a boiler down when heat satisfied.
A direct heat 3kw electrical immersion element relies on its own correctly rated stat. Crossing the two is likely to end in tears.....and an electrical fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing an immersion heater thermostat with a cylinder thermostat. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've recently replaced an immersion heater for a direct cylinder, for 2.75-3kW. The new one seemed to be working a week before I got a callback. I...
Replies
Views
I have read of hot water cylinders being heated with a dual element immersion heater. The main principle being that a shorter element heats the...
Replies
Views
I recently posted to request information about supply of a "dual Immersion heater". Two members kindly replied with helpful advice. I tried to...
Replies
Views
Is there any reason other than poor element. Why an immersion heater would fail 4 months after fitting on an unvented cylinder? Apparently it has...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock