Search the forum,

Discuss Really badly choked up boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I went to an 18 month old Grant vortex combi 26 which was the worst i've ever seen to the point that the baffles had an inch of soot on top of them and when I pulled the swirl baffles out they were solid with soot. I cleaned it all out so it was sparkly clean changed nozzle etc etc

I was expecting he oil pump to be too high pressure but it was at 8 bar and the air setting was about 5.5 which I wouldnt of thought would be too far out. but it was smoking a treat so opened the air up until it was fairly clean then put my analyser in and I cant get the co2 below 12% with the oil pressure on 8 and I had to wind the air as far as I could.

In the end I dropped the oil presssure to 6.5 bar and I managed to get the co2 down to 11.4%. What I cant work out is why with the air fully open will it not drop below 12% is it because

A Its still burning off some muck around the heat exchanger. (this is my thought)

B They are not using Kerosene? and maybe using gas oil or even red diesel or something else?

Im going back early next week to check it again as it was so hoping it burns off all the muck and I can just reset it all back up and away it goes>

Hmm... What colour was the oil?

red diesel is gas oil btw :)
Did you change the nozzle?

also if its new, did you check the burner had the correct blast tube?

Last edited:
Should have dropped a smaller nozzle in for a week to help burn it off. I wouldn't want to stick my meter in that for a week. Have you checked the analyser filter?

wrong nozzle been fitted, or flue seal gone causing pocs to recirc, for 2 ideas

Yeah gave it a full service so new nozzle hose etc.

I didnt realise gas oil and red diesel were the same lol. It looked like kereosene to me

Did you check it was the right nozzle in the box? Flue is probably choked too, chuck a soot breaker in :/)

wrong nozzle been fitted, or flue seal gone causing pocs to recirc, for 2 ideas

Checked the nozzle before I put it in to make sure it was what was written on the tub. Right nozzle for the boiler as I double checked the manual. I ran the boiler with the air hose disconnected as well no difference as I thought it may be something like that.

Yeah gave it a full service so new nozzle hose etc.

I didnt realise gas oil and red diesel were the same lol. It looked like kereosene to me

Did you replace the nozzle like for like or as per MI's?
i always get them up on my phone as i would say about a tenth of what i go too have the wrong nozzle!!

yup!

Should have dropped a smaller nozzle in for a week to help burn it off. I wouldn't want to stick my meter in that for a week. Have you checked the analyser filter?

Analyser filter was clean I made sure it wasnt smoking before I put it in and the inside of the boiler was spotless by the time I finished on it. (Me on the other hand was covered from head to foot in soot!)

Do you reckon it could just be burning of the muck still then? Ive worked on loads of oil boilers over the last couple of years some badly choked up but none this bad and never came accross this problem.

Smells very different also. Were the FGA readings any better with the snorkel removed?

CO was fine cant remember what it was and all paperwork is in the van down the road. I will get the readout out in the morning.

Last edited:
If the CO was good, you must have done a beautiful clean then, should have been a surgeon.

If the CO was good, you must have done a beautiful clean then, should have been a surgeon.

I couldnt be a surgeon I dont mind my own blood but others and I feel sick lol.

It was between 50 and 60 if I can remember right but I did leave it running for half hour before doing it. And I spent ages cleaning it as I always do so I hope it was a beautiful clean.

Keep the oil pressure at 8 bar, disconnect the snorkel if any doubt about it or flue, check the air damper inside the burner is actually opening when you turn the Allen bolt - many can be broken on RDBs. Be sure to tighten new nozzle up fully. (easy to forget)
Unlikely, but you can have a faulty new nozzle putting loads oil out.
Co2 will be fairly decent if you removed 99% of soot. Smoke pump will show yellow reading when setting good, until all soot is gone after a day or 2.
Maybe not in your boiler, but look out for a mouse nest inside snorkel or a dead mouse inside burner or other debris - only takes a minuscule bit of fluff in the narrowest, smallest points of the burners air intake to blast tube to reduce air by large amount.

Last edited:
As said check you have the right blast tube, the vortex can change how it burns.

Badly sooted i normally drop out a baffle or some of the spirals or springs in the condensing heat exchanger and set it lean. Then back after a week and sort it properly.

I also would put the air up a little to keep it on the safe side & let it clean itself out for a few days.
I still use a smoke pump just to reasure myself that it's not still running black.

I think you may have sorted it, just needs time to settle. It would struggle to light on diesel if at all.

I presume it has 1 of those Riello RDB burner on it. This is gonna sound mad but on some models you know where you adjust the air, that's not the only air adjustment. If you take the burner out, there's a couple of screws holding the plastic casing on around the air louvre side with the air intake on the right hand side. If you remove the plastic cover to see the fan impeller there's actually another adjustment louvre. I only know this cos I got caught out with that before. So check that out, some Riello Burners have this. Check it out, it's worth a shot

I presume it has 1 of those Riello RDB burner on it. This is gonna sound mad but on some models you know where you adjust the air, that's not the only air adjustment. If you take the burner out, there's a couple of screws holding the plastic casing on around the air louvre side with the air intake on the right hand side. If you remove the plastic cover to see the fan impeller there's actually another adjustment louvre. I only know this cos I got caught out with that before. So check that out, some Riello Burners have this. Check it out, it's worth a shot

Was thinking same, - the inner is a air adjustment which should be set, in theory, for the burners actual output.
The outer is for fine adjustment - normally all that needs adjusted hopefully.

Do you mean the louved disk you set round to your outputs?

The 1 inside the air box under the 'snorkel'. If ye don't set that right, the outer air adjustment won't be able to greater change the CO2 levels. Maybe it was overlooked. Just thought I'd mention it incase it was missed

Been Back out to it today to reset it. I whipped the baffles out again just to make sure they were not sooted up again. put FGA in it was running on 8.5% so set it all back running brilliantly now so was just the excess soot being burnt off causing the problem.

I remember a mate of mine played a practical joke on his apprentice whereby he got the apprentice to go through the boiler servicing but tipped a bit of oil inside the combustion chamber when the apprentice went to the loo, and predictably enough the apprentice was unable to set up the boiler combustion for 20 minutes until the oil burnt off, with my mate saying "you must have done something wrong", then going off to snigger to himself.

On another occasion the guy was fitting a WC and the other lads on site kept tipping a little water behind the pan and telling him that the WC was leaking and he would need to take it off and refit it. This went on about 4 times before he realised someone was taking the P.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Really badly choked up boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock