Discuss pump on solid fuel to overcome pipe drop in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
Looking at some time connecting my solid fuel boiler up to HW cylinder, problem i have is where cylinder is the first floor drops by about 350mm
so can not get a continues rise in pipe work, attached should be a diagram i think would overcome this issue, can you see any issues with what i have drawn? if the pump was to fail it is on the return side so if water in boiler got too hot the is no restriction to the vent pipe, also the is the heat sink rad, but not sure if the pump been in that position if it failed would restrict the return to much from the heat sink rad, if i put the pump before the return do you think the pump would interfere with the return as it would be positive pressure,
Thanks
John

Attachments

• 123241 pump.pdf
    310.3 KB · Views: 24
Can’t have a drop or trap

Not a 'competent person', but have seen a few woodburner systems. I'm not commenting on your specific house, so take these as general comments.

I wouldn't rely on a cylinder to be the primary circulation as once the cylinder is hot, convection goes down to near zero anyway. You need 2 things: constant circulation (by gravity) AND a vent. You are correct to say the pump must not be on the heat-leak circuit. You can use separate tappings for gravity and pumped circulation at the boiler, or go down the injector tee path which would ensure you don't have the risk of the pump fighting the convection in the gravity part of the circuit.

Who's to say the cylinder will be the the main place the heat goes anyway? You could have a gravity-fed radiator which, if large enough, could be your primary circulation [edit: need to make sure this CANNOT airlock] and then you will pump everything else. If your system is designed such that the cylinder is no longer integral to the safety of the system, then there's no real reason not to have the cylinder pumped on drops.

22mm is almost certainly too small for the vent. Imagine the water in the boiler expanding to 1600x its volume and you'll understand why we like to overengineer for the worst thing that might happen. The risk with this kind of system is that gravity systems have become a niche product, and not everyone understands them now, so sometimes normal practice will not be safe.

Last edited:
so what your saying is basically the solid fuel boiler can not be connected to the cylinder because of a 350mm drop and a circulation pump wouldn't over come the problem, and the is no other way round it?

Correct the flow always has to rise and return has to drop / fall back to burner can’t have a pump on it to push / get over a drop / trap as you always need flow else it’s a bomb

Other than boxing in so that the flow always rises and return drops etc no

Or move the cylinder/ thermal store

Correct the flow always has to rise and return has to drop / fall back to burner can’t have a pump on it to push / get over a drop / trap as you always need flow else it’s a bomb

Other than boxing in so that the flow always rises and return drops etc no

Or move the cylinder/ thermal store
Forgetting the pump, what would be the difference from my 350mm drop, and solid fuel boiler on ground floor with flow and return rising up to the attic running across the attic then down to a cylinder on the first floor?

Reply to pump on solid fuel to overcome pipe drop in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A bit of an unusual topic, as these are very rare in the UK. I went back to Poland to commission, test and tune the 20kW solid fuel boiler and...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
I have a Rayburn running my CH and HW, when the boiler is lit, the gravity flow works as it should rises to the cylinder and drops back to the...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock