Search the forum,

Discuss Solid fuel (smokeless coal) efficiency in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Marcin

Adept
A bit of an unusual topic, as these are very rare in the UK.

I went back to Poland to commission, test and tune the 20kW solid fuel boiler and the domestic heat exchanger for the hot water tank (300litres). Old heating system with steel 2-inch pipes and cast iron segmented rads

We were warned, that the boiler can struggle a little to heat 210m2 (most likely 24kW would be better for 5 bedrooms, lounge, kitchen, bathroom and the toilet).

On arrival - the house was very cold, an elderly mother is afraid of lighting fire.. (oops, a huge design fault). 12 deg inside, 300litres DHWT @mains cold.

There is an automatic coal delivery: every 1min 40 sec, spiral turns for 8 seconds, air pump set up to 15 (in scale 0-30).

I decided to torture (aka stress test) the system and kill some legionella bugs. Target: 75 Cels on rads and 75 inside DHWT (temporarily - I will reduce it appropriately), so after some tweaks, delivery 9 seconds, every 1:20min, air pump 15

Few questions though.

1. Ashes are approx 10% of the burnt coal volume. Barely any slag present. Good/bad?

2. I do not understand what is the purpose of the valve pictured. It has to be there as per manufacturer's blueprint, but what for? Is there a problem when cold water gets inside the boiler, hence the bypass, to slowly seep the warmth into the CH system?

3. System struggles to get to my desired deperatures (75 and 75). looks like 55CH/65DHW. Should I give it more air and fuel? Wait until the bulding warms up a bit more and then to tune the settings?

House got warmish in about 6 hours (16 cels), currently holds 19 degrees in all rooms, Tap hot at 65 after 24h. Used 25kg of coal.

I do get that this technology is widely frowned upon, but for less than £10 per day, it is quite tricky to heat the big house.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20231103_104259.jpg
    20231103_104259.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231103_112745.jpg
    20231103_112745.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20231103_112754.jpg
    20231103_112754.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231103_180836.jpg
    20231103_180836.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 17
Dont know much about the system but...

it looks like a fairly crude furnace and much depends on quality of fuel but 10% is ok.

Three way mixing valve being used as bypass needs adjustment?

Do you need to heat all the rooms and 300 litres of water store and for how many residents?

You only used 25kgs fuel/24hrs?, using the info below, CV of coal is 6.94kwh/kg so heat input was 7.23 kwh/hr., assume 75% boiler efficiency = 5.4kw boiler output (from a 20kw boiler?), you need a new fireman.
Any idea of the flue gas temperature?.

"The coal selling by LS POLAND is characterized by a high calorific value exceeding 25 000kJ / kg, with a low moisture of about 10%, low sulfur content of 0.3% and ash of about 6%."

You only used 25kgs fuel/24hrs?, using the info below, CV of coal is 6.94kwh/kg so heat input was 7.23 kwh/hr., assume 75% boiler efficiency = 5.4kw boiler output (from a 20kw boiler?), you need a new fireman.
Any idea of the flue gas temperature?.

"The coal selling by LS POLAND is characterized by a high calorific value exceeding 25 000kJ / kg, with a low moisture of about 10%, low sulfur content of 0.3% and ash of about 6%."

Im using Sztygar Ultra: Groszek Plus (dawniej ekogroszek) Ultra Sztygar - https://www.wegielsztygar.pl/product-pol-113-Groszek-Plus-dawniej-ekogroszek-Ultra-Sztygar.html So, it is 28-26 MJ (or if you prefer 28000-26000kJ), so 26MJ gives about 7.2kWh/kg.

Still, many consider about a kg per hour as high consumption.

Yes, the boiler is rated 20kW, but it's the max.

In "work" mode, you can set up air blower, length of the coal delivery (in seconds), and frequency how often it should load.

For example, if I would set up the blower to the maximum and set up delivery every minute, and for 10 seconds, I would probably change the deflector into plasmous stage. But it would waste huge amount of coal nonsensically. The whole trick of using it, is to burn the coal as slowly/effectively as possible.

I cannot reliably measure the flue gasses now, but - I can touch the steel pipe for a second, and the walls with the chimney shaft are cold (as they should)

Dont know much about the system but...

it looks like a fairly crude furnace and much depends on quality of fuel but 10% is ok.

Three way mixing valve being used as bypass needs adjustment?

Do you need to heat all the rooms and 300 litres of water store and for how many residents?

Apparently, coal boilers should not receive a full load of cold water returning from radiators. It causes sooth and moisture to slowly damage the steel heat exchanger and makes te burning less efficient. That is why those mixers are being used. Took me a while to understand that idea.

After 3 days of heating, the temperature has stabilised across the house - all around 20-21 cels, which was desired.

300 litres DHW storage is way too large for one person, but every few months during family gatherings there are about 6 adults and 3 kids using it.

Reply to Solid fuel (smokeless coal) efficiency in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock