Search the forum,

Discuss Heat pump and micro bore pipes in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi thank you for letting me join this forum .
We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t look well piped , kinky in pipes in some places ,some of the rad don’t heat up too well , probably because of the badly piped system,
the pipe is all underground in a concrete flooring .
I’m thinking of repiping tho rads in 15mm copper .
I’m about to do some major renovations to the bungalow.
my question is ,
could I T off the flow and return with 22mm copper at the heat pump and taken it into the loft space then run 15mm down to the rad that I’m having problems with or would this effect the heat pump as it probably set for a higher temperature to take into account the micro bore piping ?
Thanks for any advise .

What size is the heat pump and what’s the total load eg rads in either w or kw ?

Did you have a Heatloss done at the time of the install of the ashp ?

What size is the heat pump and what’s the total load eg rads in either w or kw ?

Did you have a Heatloss done at the time of the install of the ashp ?
Thanks for the reply

The heat pump is a Daikin 14kw ,

I’m not sure how many KW the rads are I would need to work it out .

But it’s a 3 bedroom bungalow.

There two rads which are just getting lukewarm and other one not getting warm at all .

As I said the pipe to these have kinks and bends of over 90o ,

It don’t look as if it’s been piped very well the company have now gone bust so I understand .

Not surprise seeing their work .

We purchase the bungalow and the system was already fitted .

I have removed the rads and flash them out , I also checked the valves and all seen clear.

The pipes are running in concrete so there no way of knowing if there a badly kink pipe or blocked without doing a full flash and checking the flow of each .

My feeling is that it could do with replacing the pipes ,

I could just cut the kink bits out but it just be putting a plaster over it .

My thought is to cut into the Flow and Return pipes just by the pump and run 22 mm up through the loft and then use 15mm to the Rads which are not working .

I just wounded if this would put the whole system off balance using both Mircobore and 22/15mm pipe .

The other option was to re pipe the whole lot in 22/15mm but then would that affect the heat pump as it probably over sizes because of the micro bore pipe.

That’s a massive one best to work out the Heatloss first as it could be costing you a lot to run

As depending on the run and size might be undersized so might be best to repipe

Last edited:
Best you contact Daikin and see what they say.
They are overly helpful when you have questions about using their equipment.
They may even design a system for you to ensure their equipment will work as specified.

Reply to Heat pump and micro bore pipes in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to connect to the heating system, So while the wood burning on during winter months it will stop the heat pump for working hard Or not all all . My...
Replies
Views
Bungalow built in 2001. All copper pipework (water and heating) runs in channels of expanded foam polystyrene between a concrete floor and OSB boards. Pipe are lagged in stitched felt and what looks like bubble wrap with sand (?) over the top. During the bathroom refit, I lifted up some of the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2 my ch boiler, non condensing is playing up, I can get hot water, but when heating is on pipes only get hot for 1st mtre or so? I can hear feel the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm studying plumbing and my work mate sized the opportunity to help him installing a new radiator. I'm looking for general advice which might eliminate mistakes. It'd also help me to build a portfolio before getting a job in trade. The house is old built and the rad goes into the kitchen...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in the garage which is fully pumped to the TS, the system has two pumps both basic 3speed Grunfoss, one on the boiler return and the other on the CH flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock