Search the forum,

Discuss Pump in attic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bronwyn

Hi
Hope someone can help me. I'm busy redoing my shower and connecting it to mains.
My plumber on advise from another installed the pump in my loft
It's a Grundfos amazon double negative 3 bar.
So everything connected and this pump is not working. Now that he researches it
He finds out that it can't go above the hwc. I really don't want him to redo this. Is there
Anyway to make this work. I've read that installing in a loft is doable......
So frustrated with this bathroom fit atm. Any ideas would be welcome.

Cheers

Installing in a loft is fine, but not if the cylinder is in the room below! Shouldn't be too much hassle relocating the pump to the airing cupboard, surely?

Post some pictures of the airing cupboard, and the loft, pump location etc. and we can advise.

It has to be an installation fault. Most shower pumps will work in the loft as long as there is height between the bottom of the cwsc and the top of the pump. Check MIs for specifics. A few pics of the install would also be helpful for us so that we may see what is at fault. As Mas says though if there's room have it in the airing cupboard

Will send some photos when i get back home. Speaking to him this morning he is wanting to move it back down to the airing cupboard, but, the only place available for it would be above the cylinder tank, where i place my linen. He is worried about the heat that rises from the tank though. Any ideas about placing the pump there?

To be honest most parts of an airing cupboard are hot so I wouldn't worry too much about that

Thanks. Im using a good plumber but he made the mistake of taking advise from someone else regarding this pump. And my mood is turning tense so just wanted to understand what is actually going on and what can be done about it, to avoid an outburst.

yes...... that too. not sure what to say to him, as his quote is now slowly been changed to a daily cost. This isnt my fault so im not really happy paying for additional work on what should have been installed correctly to start with.

Don't accept it and stand your ground. It's his fault by the sounds of it so I expect him to put it right FOC.

yes...... that too. not sure what to say to him, as his quote is now slowly been changed to a daily cost. This isnt my fault so im not really happy paying for additional work on what should have been installed correctly to start with.

You shouldn't accept that. Nobody knows everything but you should not be paying for his lack of research. If I need to install something I haven't encountered before, I download installation manuals before quoting the job, not during or after the installation.

I would be rectifying this installation FOC if it were me who had made the mistake.

You shouldn't accept that. Nobody knows everything but you should not be paying for his lack of research. If I need to install something I haven't encountered before, I download installation manuals before quoting the job, not during or after the installation.

I would be rectifying this installation FOC if it were me who had made the mistake.

Well said Mas

This is assuming though that he has installed it wrong

I think your issue is that you do not have sufficient static head for the pump. Your cold water tank (in the loft) must be a metre above the pump for the pump to kick in. Easiest option is to raise it on the rafters.

Hope this helps.

If its anegative as you say

He should just have to bleed the water through to the pump ( Fit some air vents )

And then usually the pump charges the little vessels and the start the switches once a shower is opened

So i would say tell him to install some air vents to fill the pump Cant be installed above a cwsc
I have never fitted this model but the salamander Universals

Thanks for tips. After speaking to manufacturers we've decided to bring it down into airing cupboard. I also drew up a programme to show him that we are behind schedule and compared what he has done vs the quote. So we've agreed on the quoted price. Feel a lot better.

It is definitely a twin negative 3 bar. But it's in the loft horizontal to the cwt and as other person said there sufficient static head. I should have just converted to a combi boiler.

If it's negative head pump it can be installed above the hot water tank. They are designed for when the head is less than 60cm. All it needs to detect is the tiniest amount of flow and away it goes. I've fitted them in lofts before as customer has wanted them installed there to reduce noise, admittedly it was a salamander but they all work off the same principle

Yes horizontal. From what I understood from manufacturer was the cold water tank needed to be 1m above it.
So he either has to raise it or bring it down. I'm now trying to dismantle my st james lever tap handle and put white ceramic sleeves on instead of the black. Sorry if I don't make sense.... its probably because I just have know idea .....

This is the guy on the jobs problem. I asked a mate on facebook and got it wrong isn't the OP's problem.
His mistake his problem.

Oh god, so i got the pump working, plumber gone, happy days. Just recently though it seems as if the pressure has dropped off, when making the water hotter. im wondering if a filter could be blocked? Does anyone know of someone in the Worcester area, malvern that knows what they doing?

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Somebody whose name escapes me lives in Worcester.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pump in attic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock