Discuss Primatic cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Raff

Hi, am new to this forum. I am no plumber but consider myself to be competent at most diy jobs, i have done basic plumbing jobs as in adding additional rads, replacing water tanks etc etc. My mother recently moved into her 1950's house and wants a towel warmer to replace a rad, modification to pipes etc.
Have looked everywhere for f&e tank but just is not one anywhere, having read other forums i have come to the conclusion that she has a Primatic cylinder coupled with a rather ageing glow worm boiler.
My question is how do i go about draining the heating system ? as i need pipes to be drained for soldering purposes, freezing pipes is not an option as pipe layout is restricting and i need to solder. Can i plug the shared water tank above the cylinder? Or do i have to drain the cylinder of hot water? Any detailed instructions would be much appreciated... Thanks.

When you say drain the system do you mean just drain the heating as normal through a down stairs rad? do i also have to drain hot water through a tap? As you say do not bung the tank should i either tie up ball valve or turn off rising main? Also would i just drain below rad i need to do work on? i.e upstairs rads. sorry for all the questions but really unsure on this system and dont fancy tank imploding. Thanks again..

Many thanks ajs, was just unsure if i had to drain via the rads only or had to drain tank through hot taps as well.

Many thanks again, will let u know how i went on when job done.

sorry to go on but when refilling apart from dirty manky tap water how do i know if the air bubble has been maintained..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Primatic cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock