Search the forum,

Discuss Please Classify This Flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefaz

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
IMG_1075.jpg
What are your opinions on this Flue from an Icos?
I know what mine is,I'll explain when I get a few answers. I couldn't detect any CO

ID I would say

Okay. So this is off a lady in my street. She tried to get on a contract with a big company...I'll let you guess. So anyway I get a text saying could I have a quick look at the boiler as it need some work done before they take her on. I ask what is wrong via our lads to which the reply comes 'the flue is disconnected and needs sorted' I laugh and say yea what really worng and ask for a picture. This comes to me. I told her to turn If off and went straight over. Apparently this company say it's only AR....BUT it had been left on and the sheet said the customer had refused to allow it to be turned off. (Lies). Anyway I tell her it's ID and do the necessity and leave her some heaters. I told her to complain to them to ask why their boiler has been left ID. She did and the company sent out another engineer for confirmation...to which she was told 'it's only AR,use it at your own risk'. I have since told her not to use it under any circumstances and have reported this to the local gas safe inspector. Out of everyone I've showed for opinion (15 people) everyone said ID....apart from the 2 people from this company.

The thing is as its not yet disconnected it could be classed as ar but I wouldn't

Okay. So this is off a lady in my street. She tried to get on a contract with a big company...I'll let you guess. So anyway I get a text saying could I have a quick look at the boiler as it need some work done before they take her on. I ask what is wrong via our lads to which the reply comes 'the flue is disconnected and needs sorted' I laugh and say yea what really worng and ask for a picture. This comes to me. I told her to turn If off and went straight over. Apparently this company say it's only AR....BUT it had been left on and the sheet said the customer had refused to allow it to be turned off. (Lies). Anyway I tell her it's ID and do the necessity and leave her some heaters. I told her to complain to them to ask why their boiler has been left ID. She did and the company sent out another engineer for confirmation...to which she was told 'it's only AR,use it at your own risk'. I have since told her not to use it under any circumstances and have reported this to the local gas safe inspector. Out of everyone I've showed for opinion (15 people) everyone said ID....apart from the 2 people from this company.

Is the flue exhaust disconnected and leaking POC's ?

Is there a chance that the flue exhaust could come away from the boiler ?

Don't get me wrong, I would have turned it off and issued a notice but not categorised it as ID if there is not any actual danger !

Last edited:
It isn't leaking right now no. It's the air intake really. You can see into the boiler from the top!

It isn't leaking right now no. It's the air intake really. You can see into the boiler from the top!

Then I would not say it's ID

ID is if there is an actual danger that will cause or has caused a danger or injury to life or property.

If you left it, it would not poison anyone, as it is. It definitely needs dealing with. However, as it stands it is at risk of becoming a danger, it is not one yet !

ID,if you class that as AR you need help

It's not an immediate danger, It's combustion is not effected and it is not leaking fumes.

Each engineer will obviously use their own discretion.

Like above really, Shuv it back on at fix the problem is the best way to deal with it.

Re fix it to boiler !!!

It's not an immediate danger, It's combustion is not effected and it is not leaking fumes.

Each engineer will obviously use their own discretion.

Like above really, Shuv it back on at fix the problem is the best way to deal with it.

Re fix it to boiler !!!

Its a flue,as you said though just fix it back,looks like the clips missing

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at that further,clips there so possibly flue holes to high putting it under strain

The horseshoe clip is there. The flue hole isn't right! I think it's ID all day long. The case is no longer sealed!

ID for me. The boiler is no longer a room sealed appliance as its open to the room.

ID for me. The boiler is no longer a room sealed appliance as its open to the room.

I would agree absolutely. I had a Ideal classic which had an ongoing leak from a drain off above the boiler and a hole the size of a tennis ball on the top. Probed above the hole at boiler 0ppm - still ID

APOLOGY MY MISTAKE !

I have skimmed the OP and missed that this was an icos. They do have a sealed case and in MFI's it does state that the appliance MUST NOT be operated without it.

I take it back and offer my most humble apology.

In my defence, I wouldn't have left without fixing it but you are ALL indeed correct.

It will be ID. MF's are always the last word

Last edited:
Can't be bothered with AR such a wishy washy cop out just I'D and squeeze a boiler change.
It's a bag of nails snyway

if that's not ID then this trade is more of a joke than I first thought!

plus as hammers says I would id it because its a ideal lol

ID for me but the Icos although not the best is still not the worst Ive still got a few on books going strong

rub some dirt onto the flue like they do at college and ID it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please Classify This Flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oily smell from boiler recently before failed. Great plumber sorted though when opened external baffle at front of sealed flue the internal spring like tube lining outer insulation had all perished. Barn conversion with thick walls (763mm). Worcester Bosch say Flue Kits are obsolete and...
Replies
Views
Flue Snugs Hello all new member here. Flue snugs. I’m seeing a lot of boiler installs on you tube that don’t have flue snugs to comply with Part L building regs. What are the rules regarding flue snugs, do they have to be fitted on all new boiler installs. I prefer to use sand/cement...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I was hoping you could help with a potential boiler build query for my father. He has recently had a new boiler installed via British Gas (valiant brand). The external boiler flue seems excessively tall, proving to be somewhat of an eye sore (please see pictures attached). I know it...
Replies
Views
We are considering buying a house which currently has a 20 year old Ideal Icos boiler, so we're factoring in replacing the boiler soon. Current boiler is on an external kitchen wall with the flue going straight out. However, it's positioned in between a door and the kitchen window, quite close...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, My chimney failed the test so I need to install a flue liner for my Gazco Stockton gas fire. It was over a year ago when the engineer condemned the chimney and I remember him also saying something about it needing some sort of box fitted into the fire recess but I can't remember the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock