Search the forum,

Discuss Plastic piping for central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmonster

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,
What are your thoughts and experience on using plastic piping for the central heating run?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Would always use copper if it was down to me. If you have to use plastic though, make sure its barrier if using for Heating to prevent ingress of air and try to only use fittings in accessible places, i.e don't use them underneath tiled bathroom floors etc

Anything out of sight in plastic. Rad tails and cylinder cupboards in copper.

used it to save time in the past, wouldnt bother now though. feels better to use copper, especially as the new consumer rights laws have just changed in the buyers favour all round

I don't think many customers or building contractors would want you in the property for longer than necessary. Coppers better but cost more to install unfortunately.

Use loads of Hep2O on new builds, in the floors but never on show as that looks carp.

Ive done a few installs in Speed fit, with chrome and copper tails,

It's useful if your doing long runs with no joints but other than that I prefer copper I can sleep better at night then

Thank you you all for the replies.

the install is to go into my house as i'm going for a complete refurb...

i've never used plastic, this it's going to be my first... :)

Need to be careful if connecting to chrome pipe, (it can slip off) but as long as you follow instructions it will be ok, Main points NEVER Cut Pipe With HACKSAW / ALLWAYS USE MANUFACTORS INSERTS.

I'd use copper, Makes me feel bad when I go to merchants and people buy a length of copper pipe for example and half a dozen plastic push fit elbows not that its relevant

Plastic fittings are expensive and I don't trust them, If you haven't used plastic before I guess you usually use copper ?

I prefer copper.
But they are both proven, acceptable and have distinct benefits

Our work is either new build or complete refurb, we only use plastic on heat pump installations (not allowed on biomass - see MI's) we use exclusively polyplumb pipe and polysure fittings, (more expensive I know) that gives us complete peace of mind on any fittings underfloor. Also pressure test as per MI's (usually 10 bar..) don't do it with air, (too dangerous) that will find any leaks and 'set' the connectors as well.

Our work is either new build or complete refurb, we only use plastic on heat pump installations (not allowed on biomass - see MI's) we use exclusively polyplumb pipe and polysure fittings, (more expensive I know) that gives us complete peace of mind on any fittings underfloor. Also pressure test as per MI's (usually 10 bar..) don't do it with air, (too dangerous) that will find any leaks and 'set' the connectors as well.

Think you need to check on test pressure thought Polyplumb want 18bar 15mins min / max 60 min

Think you need to check on test pressure thought Polyplumb want 18bar 15mins min / max 60 min
Sorry I wasn't paying attention to the detail, just bringing up the requirement to do it, Hence comment of MI's
Polypipe is 18bar, and I think from memory Speedfit is 10 bar..

Here's all we've got from Polypipe and JG Speedfit - anyone got anything else?

Polypipe:
1st fix installations
Pipe and fittings only should be tested. The system should be completely filled using water at not more than 20°C at a test pressure of 18 Bar which should be applied for not less than 15 minutes and no longer than 1 hour. Joint security can be checked visually and by tugging at joints.
2nd fix installations
Complete installations including appliances should be tested with water to the maximum test pressure allowed by manufacturers of the appliances and fittings.
Please note, due to health and safety reasons Polypipe products must not be air tested.

Pressure testing of the pipe system is essential, however a successful pressure test using the following steps is not a guarantee of complete and correct installation and only ensures that pipes have been inserted into fittings passed both the ‘O’ ring and the grab ring.
If pipes have been scored or scratched during the installation process a high pressure test as below may not highlight these issues.

Speedfit:
System Testing.
To ensure the pipework and fittings have been inst alled correctly, whether it be on a new or extended system, it is essential that the system is checked and hydraulically wet tested. Testing should be at 2 bar for 10 minutes while checking for leaks or pressure drops and 10 bar for 10 minutes while checking for leaks or pressure drops.
This testing, combined with other relevant checks, should reveal installation problems and is regarded as good plumbing practice. However, system testing should not be regarded as a substitute for correct installation. (JG Speedfit do not recommend air testing of pipework)

Only benefit of plastic is how incredibly faster it is to do just about any installation with it.
If I was working on my own house though where time isnt really a constraint so I would always only use copper. Its just more durable. Customer's house 10 years down the line isnt your problem, your own house will be.

Only benefit of plastic is how incredibly faster it is to do just about any installation with it.

Other "benefit" to a self-builder / diyer is the lack of technical jointing aka soldering skills needed.

It's so much quicker on installations. I hate to admit I use it all the time on heating installs. I use coils rather than lengths mainly. anything on show is of course copper. Airing cupboards/rad tails etc. I done a heating install the other week. 7 rads on. Combi. No previous heating at all. My mate fitted the boiler and I done all the rest. I had all rads hung by 12. All first fix pipe done by 5. Next day I piped up the rads with couple of drops downstairs in copper. Took me longer to do those drops than the whole first fix. Crazy

Plastic is quicker on new builds with access to underside of floor/ joists. when retro fitting its can be as time consuming as copper i think, mainly because you need to lift boards every 300-500mm or so to battern and/or clip where as copper needs less supports so can be fished further.

Find plastic sags when hot even when clipped correctly wouldn't want to use it on open vented system at risk of air locks. But have started to use hep2o more as does have benefits and these are only plastic fittings I have confidence in at the moment.

.. have started to use hep2o more as does have benefits and these are only plastic fittings I have confidence in at the moment.

That's why we use polysure; fittings not cheap, however they are secure :)

personally i find the expansion of your regular plastic/barrier pipe to be to much! everything has its pros and cons but i do think there are a lot of people abusing plastic pipes by not clipping and not using it to its full benefit of its length over copper by using manifolds to minimize fittings in walls, under floors and generally places that cant be accessed, obviously more pipe will be used but IMO its worth it ,

Iv been using the new TEC mlcp for awhile now , i like it , doesnt expand like your plastic and behaves more like annealed copper , not keen on the bend radius but with its 3 piece liner it makes the joint double sealed as to what it would normally be , coupled that with the 316 stainless fittings and you have a very good joint! expensive but good!!

personally i find the expansion of your regular plastic/barrier pipe to be to much! everything has its pros and cons but i do think there are a lot of people abusing plastic pipes by not clipping and not using it to its full benefit of its length over copper by using manifolds to minimize fittings in walls, under floors and generally places that cant be accessed, obviously more pipe will be used but IMO its worth it ,

Iv been using the new TEC mlcp for awhile now , i like it , doesnt expand like your plastic and behaves more like annealed copper , not keen on the bend radius but with its 3 piece liner it makes the joint double sealed as to what it would normally be , coupled that with the 316 stainless fittings and you have a very good joint! expensive but good!!

Are you bending it using a pipe bender ? find it bends as good as copper, like it that you can pipe right up to the boiler and the white pipe looks good where its visible, and the customer doesn't cover it in paint !

We use mlcp (from emmeti) in our underfloor heating, goes down a treat :) (PE-RT/AL/PE-RT Alpert MLCP UFH Pipe – 16 x 2mm)

Are you bending it using a pipe bender ? find it bends as good as copper, like it that you can pipe right up to the boiler and the white pipe looks good where its visible, and the customer doesn't cover it in paint !

just by hand , i thought that you couldnt do it with benders? just my opinion but you know when you use benders on copper it fixes the copper and then pulls/stretch's it around a radius , i didnt think this was suitable for it being pex/al/pex & plus tectite make bending springs for it which is another reason otherwise it does state that bend radius is the same as a bender 4xO.D {think thats the same?} but tectite bending springs should be used but ill give it a go on a scrap piece and see what its like, but yea its good, only downside i think is the bore size and the liners seem abit restrictive ? but otherwise its joints with liners are almost fool proof

That's why we use polysure; fittings not cheap, however they are secure :)

Doesn't Polysure still rely on rubber O-rings to seal though?

I've used a lot of Rehau PEX with there everloc fittings over the last 3 years or so for new builds and prefer that, no grab rings and no rubber O-rings to deteriorate, pipes flared and then a brass sleeve is pulled on to the barbed brass fittings with a machine. I'd imagine its atleast twice as expensive as polysure though.

I would be tempted to look at Buteline if I wanted a cheaper alternative, as again theres no grab rings and no O-rings, the PB pipe is just slid into the barbed fittings and crimped on with there crimp tool which is only £30 or something. Hugely popular in NZ but a few places stock it here now.

Yep they have o-rings, though we've played around a bit and it has sealed up to > 6 bar without them - never took them to destruction, the crimping process works on an annular basis so squeezes / seals/ locks it all round.

At least these kinds of fittings are getting more professional and less diy :)

Product / component availability is the key element.

just by hand , i thought that you couldnt do it with benders? just my opinion but you know when you use benders on copper it fixes the copper and then pulls/stretch's it around a radius , i didnt think this was suitable for it being pex/al/pex & plus tectite make bending springs for it which is another reason otherwise it does state that bend radius is the same as a bender 4xO.D {think thats the same?} but tectite bending springs should be used but ill give it a go on a scrap piece and see what its like, but yea its good, only downside i think is the bore size and the liners seem abit restrictive ? but otherwise its joints with liners are almost fool proof

Had a chat with rep about it ,was him what told us that you can use a normal bender !! seems to work OK

Hi all,
What are your thoughts and experience on using plastic piping for the central heating run?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Copper all day every day, if the client wants a faster cheaper job i'am not the guy that's going to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastic piping for central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock