Discuss One pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Liam

Hello Everyone,

i dont know if am setting myself up here but as a young lad, when I come across a really old system it can throw me at times. Basically I wondering if there is a way I can tell if the system Is one pipe. All the heating pipes are under the floor, so I obviously can't check them. Bear in mind I am only doing a initial survey, so it's unlikely I will be getting boards up and stuff. Can you tell from looking at the boiler?

Thanks

There are a few clues. But you can still get caught out.

age of property ( have a good look if it's pre 75 ish)
look at the pipework off the boiler. If the flow heads one direction, eg upwards into ceiling and the return appears from the floor it's quite likely.
top and bottom opposite ends connected on rads on a domestic system ( not always the case though)
obvious ones like surface pipework, (you can see the flow & return connected)
radiators all placed on outside walls, in a ring main set up.( this might seem odd, but it was the best way to pipe up a one pipe system. )

others will ill have some more tips. Or disagree with mine!:45:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to One pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages...
Replies
Views
I want to swap a K1 radiator with a P+, the same size on a combi system. Can i turn off both valves, remove the existing radiator, put the new one...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone. New to the forum and looking for assistance / advice. I live in a rented house with a not very co-operative landlord. I have just...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone ;0 Iv just discovered this forum, looking through internet to find a solution to my small problem. So I just reopened, builders...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock