Search the forum,

Discuss One Pipe System Ideal Mexico 2 Boiler in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system

I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages and couldnt get to the bottom of it and I thought worth asking the elders on here for their view - Hot water temp is 40 Degrees - Ideal Mexico 2 Boiler - https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/hot-water-temp-is-40-degrees-ideal-mexico-2-boiler.623404/

Questions
1) Is my system fully pumped or not - It appears I have a pump but then rely on gravity to get water back to boiler for heating and also for hot water. I think this is a hybrid and I dont know the terminology - Many engineers who come here are suprised at it and so am I
2) I do not have hot water even if boiler on max demand after cylinder change - Is it because of the pipe bends or cylinder needing to be gravity coil type? Advice from DIYnot has been add a pump after the two port valve but that seems really strange given it worked before orhave a new cylinder made

Help so much appreciated

What I know
1) Ideal mexico 2 bed 125 heat only boiler - There is one flow pipe (3 inch white bore pipe) and two returns (one return from centra heating and one return from hot water cylinder). There is a DAB 65/135 pump on the boiler which pushes the water upwards
2) Cold water and FandE tanks in loft
3) Only one control for hot water cylinder on system
4) Certain I have a one pipe system

Old cylinder is picture below and new cylinder below - Old cylinder did heat up very nicely but new one does not anymore - No changes to pump speed and 2 port valve in manual mode

Old
1706022768085-jpeg.330443

New
1705694294729-jpeg.329909

Picture of the boiler and pump please ?

Any more pipes around the boiler (left hand side)?

Easy was to tell if gravity turn heating on pump should run / have power

Turn hot water on inc making a call on the cylinder stat etc pump won’t have power

That cylinder isn’t suitable for gravity heating due to the coil having a high resistance

Any more pipes around the boiler (left hand side)?

Easy was to tell if gravity turn heating on pump should run / have power

Turn hot water on inc making a call on the cylinder stat etc pump won’t have power

That cylinder isn’t suitable for gravity heating due to the coil having a high resistance
1) There is one more pipe at the back of the boiler which is a raditor return - There is also a gas pipe behind the boiler

2) I always have to turn on heating to get hot water - That is because there is one flow pipe and a two port (which I put in manual mode) to divert to hot water cylider

I am not convinced that I have gravity hot water - I have a pump at the boiler which shoots water up the white flow pipe and that is teed t the hot water cylinder

How can I tell what system i have

1) There is one more pipe at the back of the boiler which is a raditor return - There is also a gas pipe behind the boiler

2) I always have to turn on heating to get hot water - That is because there is one flow pipe and a two port (which I put in manual mode) to divert to hot water cylider

I am not convinced that I have gravity hot water - I have a pump at the boiler which shoots water up the white flow pipe and that is teed t the hot water cylinder

How can I tell what system i have

Sounds like the wiring has been altered when they installed the two port

The white left pipe in the cylinder cupboard goes to the heating tank doesn’t it ?

Sounds like the wiring has been altered when they installed the two port

The white left pipe in the cylinder cupboard goes to the heating tank doesn’t it ?
I agree it has been wired wrongly - Thats a small matter though

The white left pipe is 3 inch pipe - This is the main boiler flow - It is teed for the hot water flow and also runs into the loft where it drops to the radiators - It is the one main flow pipe for heating and hot water

Can you take a picture of one of your rads please?

Here is an example. Many radiators are like that with hot at top and flow at bottom

I am certain it is a one pipe system because I had a viessman engineer come to install a system who told me it is a one pipe

Most pipework is 3 inch or 2 inch steel pipework and there are slight drops in the loft to keep the water moving
IMG_0638.jpeg

i was told on the diynot forum that the flow pipe to the hot water cylinder is not horizontal but inclines upwards and could catch air and be airlocked

I found that difficult to understand because the air vent is much higher then even the highest part of the flow pipe but I am not experienced in this

What options do I have ? So far I think

1) rebend the pipework so it is downwards inclined
2) add a pump after the two port valve
3) use 28mm instead of 22mm for the flow pipe to hit water cylinder

I anyway want to replace the boiler with a heat only inter gas 30kw but before I do that I need to make sure the system works properly otherwise it’s thousands wasted

200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t suitable for gravity due to the coil so you will have to swap the cylinder or convert to a fully pumped system eg install another 2 port on the rad circuit

New boilers don’t really like 1 pipe systems so I would be advising repipe

Reply to One Pipe System Ideal Mexico 2 Boiler in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock