Discuss Old 3/4'' 20mm copper. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cdavie2002

Is it ok to use a 22mm compression fitting on (20mm)/(3/4'') pipe to connect to modern everyday 22mm copper? It's holding this far, took a bit of torquing!

im the same as danny, ive used plenty of 22mm fittings without a problem in my younger days. Probably lucky that the fittings/olives where alot better made i guess. Ive seen what happens when a 22mm fitting pops off a 3/4 pipe when a work mate at the time did it. The damage come to many thousands of pounds. Not ever worth the risk when a 3/4 olive costs very little, just carry a few on the van.

I did a standard to combi boiler swap a couple of years ago. The system was about 40 years old and the guy that had done the previous swap had used a 22mm compression on 3/4 pipe. The system was very low head and when I pressurised it the fitting blew off. Luckily it wasn't on a low point of the system so not much water came out or i could easily have flooded the flat below.

Don't bother with compression, the imperial pipe rattles around the metric fitting. Just use a CU1M for the old boys or YS1M or end feed equivalent soldered fitting with lots of steel wool to clean the old pipe up before hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old 3/4'' 20mm copper. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back