Discuss No heat downstairs since Homeserve 'fixed' it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Prepare for a long story/process....
Open vented system no longer heats downstairs radiators.
No thermastatic valves just manual.
Boiler downstairs, BAXI, seems to work fine

I am a DIYer, Homeowner just over 1 year.
Moved in, heating was fine.
Then some blew up in the airing cupboard.
After 8 homeserver visits and a compensation cheque for their lack of skills..
The motor has been replaced twice
The diverter valve 3 times
HW tank stat twice
Room thermastat once
Whole system drained twice.
Eventually the electrical problem was fixed

Since then, we no longer get heating downstairs, their last visit "there must be a blockage caused by sludge". This is when i sacked them off and looked into this myself.

I've removed and flush out EVERY radiator in the house (Yes, they did have a fair amount of sludge in, now removed) I placed them back in and bled the air. Still no heat downstairs.

So i drained the system down as much as i could, every radiator open, doing this, i found that even though the water stopped coming out, if i went to another downstairs radiator, it was full of water?? This may be normal, or this might be part of the issue?

This is when i also added a Magiclean filter to the system, on the pipe between outlet of the pump and diverter valve. I bought 2m of pipe and ended up with 1.3m left, only used around 30cm but there was a lot of trial and error with fitting due to very tight space. This thing is working a treat, up to now it has cleaned a good amount (nothing compared to what i manually flushed out, it would have taken months of cleaning for the filter to do the same job if at all)

Once drained, i cleaned the header tank, added 2 liters of 800x cleaning solution (I have 9 radiators, most single but some double) so this should have been more than enough. Let everything fill up and bled the air, ran for 24 hours, mostly with heat, but at night i turned off the boiler and left pump running.
Next day i went around to each radiator at a time, attached hose to downstairs radiator, left the top tank filling ON, and left the pump on.
My idea was to keep adding fresh water to the system whilst draining each downstairs radiator, diluting the chemical in the system (Not letting the header tank get low) did this for around 2 hours.
Then drained the whole system. again, downstairs radiators still had water in them? so drained them manually as well.

Added neutralister to the header tank, let everything fill up, bled and ran for 1 week.

Still no heat downstairs!:(

So i learned about air locks.
Upstairs rads were fine and bled, so turned them all off at just 1 side as normal.

One at a time, isolated each radiator, bled out pressue, removed whole bleed nut(i think its called) attached a plastic nut to hose adapter.
Then i opened one side of the radiator fully for a few seconds, from what i can tell, a few bubles came out, turned that side off, did the other side.
Moved on to the next rad.

Every time i did this, hot water came through one side as expected, so the hot feed must be fine.
The cold side also generated high pressure as expected.

So this is where i am up to.
All upstairs radiators turned off, no heat downstairs.
Hot and cold feed seem to be fine to me.
pump seems to be working fine.

I have no idea what to do, the hot water is being pushed into the radiators, the cold water will flow backwards at force, so i assume the pipe isn't blocked.

Any ideas or questions extremely appriciated :)

Magiclean 1.jpeg

Magiclean 2.jpeg

Magiclean 3.jpeg

Magiclean 4.jpeg

No i'm not, did know about this.
i'm not sure where this would be, i'll take a few pics as i've only got 3 gates to choose from

Sorry I edited my post after that. I thought from the technical diagram you had a bypass but from the images it doesn't seem you did.

When closing the upstairs rads, do you also close the gate valve on the return from the cylinder too? (I'm assuming you've also got just the heating on, not HW also). Also what speed is the pump set on.

Unfortunatly any further back or to the side and everything is covered by the pump and filter or cylinder.

No that's better. From your first image it only looked like there was two pipes coming from below, when there is 3. Cylinder return is correct, have you tried closing the gate valve on the cylinder, (The red one on the 15mm pipe) when turning off all the rads upstairs. There's a chance the MV isn't closing on HW or sneaking round the HW circuit when you're trying to force the heat downstairs.

Also bogrodders advice of installing an auto air vent would help vent any air from the coil.

Thanks for your help guys.
Like @bodrogger said, i will check that gate valve to see if it's cutting off flow and install auto vent whilst it's drained.

What is your advice for just draining the coil?
I can turn off the flow to the diverter valve, as well as the flow out of the coil. So does that mean i only have to deal with the amount of water in the coil in the tank? So i would just loosen it, let it drain a bit and be good to go.

Also any idea why there are two pipes here ? i would have thought just 1 goes back to the boiler

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-08 at 18.54.26.jpeg

So if you start from the front working to the back with the pipes along the wall you've got,

1) Return to boiler (The tee is the cylinder return)
2) Flow from boiler
3) Return from rads (22mm coming up from floor elbowing across)
4) Flow to rads (The one with the red arrow pointing down)

Reply to No heat downstairs since Homeserve 'fixed' it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back