Search the forum,

Discuss No cold water in bathroom after changing toilet? Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe better to try co codamols. They are a bit stronger than asprin.

No luck ? However a few people have said about the washing machine hose ? Just pulled out the spare hose, bit reluctant to do this though don't wan a mess anything else up. Any suggestions on what could go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you don't like me. But it won't work!

I didn't say I don't like you just say something useful, that's more useful Evan if it isnt what I wanted to hear. Do you think it will right itself again over night ? To be fair the longer I leave the tap off the more water comes out but resumes to a drizzle as always.

The gate valve you shut off, does it wind anti clockwise until it stops? If it does then its okay and is fully open, if it just keeps turning its jammed partially closed and sheared off inside.

Happens all the time.

No I got a wasinhg machine hose , outlet hose what was u going to suggest

Get a plumber in.
You don't know what you're doing and what you do know you've gleaned from plumbers on here giving you advice. You don't appreciate what it means for a plumber to explain exactly what a potential customer has to do to do the job themselves. They've basically done some plumber out of a job but you don't see that.
No doubt someone will show the infinite patience you require and you'll get the problem sorted. Good luck.

Thanks hybrid I know lots of plumbers, as I work for the builders merchant and I will
Get a plumber in to check my fittings etc, I was just hoping to get the job done .

Still think you've got a partial blockage somewhere, maybe something from the bottom of the tank. Similar to a job I was at last week when a bit of hair felt pipe lagging had got into the pipework from the tank and it was soaking up the water in the pipe then letting some through. It's a bugger to flush out. It could be as others say, an airlock but please appreciate that unless a plumber is physically there, our answers to you are purely conjecture, speculative based on the information you have supplied to us.
Still think, you should "bite the bullet" and get a plumber to have a quick look on this one as it could save you money in the long run, if you do damage to your property and pipework by trying to force mains water through your system without being trained to do so.
There will be a plumber on this forum who is from your area.

If only I lived 350 miles closer. LOL

I understand it's tempting to have a go and save a couple of quid but it's sometimes a false economy when things go wrong. There's value in a plumber's knowledge, not just his time and materials and you get all three when you pay for it.

System 3 checked the tank this morning clean as a whistle . For everyone out there Thanks for all the posts, plumbers coming 8.30 seems to think will be a quick fix and
Only gona cost me 30 quid cash. All will be checked out, would just like to say I know
You guys do this day in day out and are pros, will post back and let you all know what the plumber does.

just like to mention that the reason he should get a plumber is because he hasn't got the tools and not willing to buy them either, could of been a quick fix with the right tools and could of reused tools when replacing basin and kitchen sink i.e. and learnt a lot too.
however if you are not willing to buy tools for the job then you cant do the job.

cant paint a wall without a paint brush. cant fix a car without a ratchet.

however to all those that are not willing to help this guy and decide to be rude, then get off this forum, I am fed up of plumbers bullying people like this on this forum and getting away with it, this is supposed to be a respectable forum and I got told off for using XXXX instead of swearing, however there are loads of "plumbers arm members" who are free to bully and intimidate at will. if you aren't willing to help then get off the forum.

just like to mention that the reason he should get a plumber is because he hasn't got the tools and not willing to buy them either, could of been a quick fix with the right tools and could of reused tools when replacing basin and kitchen sink i.e. and learnt a lot too.
however if you are not willing to buy tools for the job then you cant do the job.

cant paint a wall without a paint brush. cant fix a car without a ratchet.

however to all those that are not willing to help this guy and decide to be rude, then get off this forum, I am fed up of plumbers bullying people like this on this forum and getting away with it, this is supposed to be a respectable forum and I got told off for using XXXX instead of swearing, however there are loads of "plumbers arm members" who are free to bully and intimidate at will. if you aren't willing to help then get off the forum.

We have helped. If you read through all the posts. I believe that the use of a wet vac has been suggested. And also how to check the gate valve is working. Also about forcing the air out using the mains water.
What more can we do???

The reason why we have stopped helping is because of the rudeness and stubborn attitude of not listening to what we are saying to him

We have helped. If you read through all the posts. I believe that the use of a wet vac has been suggested. And also how to check the gate valve is working. Also about forcing the air out using the mains water.
What more can we do???

The reason why we have stopped helping is because of the rudeness and stubborn attitude of not listening to what we are saying to him

Still no reason to be rude, if he doesnt listen then leave him to it and don't post rude comments.

Still no reason to be rude, if he doesnt listen then leave him to it and don't post rude comments.
I agree. Courtesy is free.

In these times of economic uncertainty and slow work in the industry, surely when someone comes on the forum looking for advice, their must be a plumber on this forum living close by that can offer to pop round and do the job.

Personally speaking I can normally get rid of airlocks by just turning on all outlets supplied by the tank outlet, the pipework must have a high spot in the loft if it is an airlock.

Are you sure the gate valve IS open? I've lost count of how many customers have told me a gate valve is fine and works and turns out not to be the case.

Basically all I am saying is that there may be times when people need to be told, "you need a plumber" or "don't do it" but cant we respect each other, personnaly reading the posts on here I would never employ a plumber from here for fear of him being rude and cocky, why is it the few bad ones on here really have to lower the tone on here for the rest of us.

Personally speaking I can normally get rid of airlocks by just turning on all outlets supplied by the tank outlet, the pipework must have a high spot in the loft if it is an airlock.

Are you sure the gate valve IS open? I've lost count of how many customers have told me a gate valve is fine and works and turns out not to be the case.

Does seem like some sort of blocksge, due to the fact that he is getting a little trickle of water coming through, which is building up, air locks are usually absolutely no water.

I would follow pipes down to bathroom, maybe something was turned off in the rush to get water off after water came gushing out, that has been completely forgotten about. I do it all the time., forget boiler was switched off and wait for water to get hot, i.e.

How many plumbers does it take to do a simple job?

Answer: One to do the job, and twenty to argue about it on the internet.

:rolleyes4:

Hopefully it's all gone wrong

If I could stop everyone on here helping you I would. Because the knowledge we have is very expensive. And I think it's about time you started to pay for it

These are the comments I am talking about, how is this in anyway helpful and then the OP was told off for giving as good as he gets with comments like "try not giving attitude when asking for help"

should the OP should just take grief from you guys and accept it?

Or it could be that the gate was letting by anyway and its just sheared 'closed'?

Had that before.

When a poster asks for free advice from a tradesman, effectively costing themselves or another plumber a paying gig, they should be a little humble and appreciative of the fact that we do it and in our free time. As it happens the OP saw the sense in getting a plumber in but I don't think anyone was particularly rude. If you have such delicate sensibilities then a job in this industry is probably not a good fit.

Some of us work 7.30am till 9pm trying to navigate the minefield that is penny pinching, deceitful "customers", merchants trying it on, quoting for free for jobs you don't get because the customer always goes with the cheapest, being robbed at the petrol pump and so on and so on.
Giving advice for free is something we do out of kindness, is not an obligation.

Sorry if you take offence to this but you won't make it as a plumber being so soft. If you are serious about being a plumber start looking at this as your industry too. It's a business, not a public service.

Hopefully it's all gone wrong

If I could stop everyone on here helping you I would. Because the knowledge we have is very expensive. And I think it's about time you started to pay for it

Must admit, I did burst out laughing when I read this

Why do all these posts start 'I'm new to all this' Thats why theres plumbers. Having said that,

There is a chance the valve in the loft you've been playing with has snapped inside and will never open,

This is presuming that you've turned the cold water off leaving the tank.

If it is open it is an air lock. If you go down to the kitchen you can put your hand over the kitchen tap (spout) open the hot first then the cold do this for about 10 minutes and that will allow the cold mains to feed the rest of the house.

If this doesn't work connect up the cold on the washing machine connector to the hot washing machine connector turn them both on and for about 10 minutes this will clear the air lock.

not sure how that s going to work mate . doubt blasting the main up the hot supply in the kitchen going to clear it an airlock in the cold supply ?

fair enough if it was his hot that was affected though , but short blasts are in order , split a HWC when my time wasn t long out leaving the main running with the wm valves linked up, ouch !

if you aint got a wet vac , but have a shifting spanner , go up to attic, close cold supply gate valve . one of a pair of red handled valves somewhere near the base of the tank, ones the cold supply , others the cold feed to your HW cylinder . to find out which is which get the mrs to run a hot tap while you close one of the valves , if she tells you the flow is slowing down then that s the cold feed to hwc, get your mrs to close the hot tap ,open the red handled valve back up and label it cold feed, close the other red handled valve at the base of the tank(cold supply) .
now get your mrs to open all the cold taps in the bathroom and flush the wc ,leave all the taps open , confirm the dribble you ve been getting has stopped as you ve now isolated the cold supply to the bathroom . now disconnect the outlet side of the cold supply gate valve in the attic, pull the pipe out the valve , get your lips around it and blow as hard as you can ! you ll here it gurgling and spurting out the bathroom taps, keep blowing untill theres hardly any resistance when you blow, reconnect the pipe to the gate valve, tighten back up , open valve back up, full flow at taps and wc cistern again, job done.

£30 is cheap , times are tight but just to cover time, diesel, overheads i d be £70, and you wouldn t be seeing me till monday evening

all the best

Thanks a lot Simon, def wouldn't employ you anyway if that's all you got a say don't post mate? System 3 bang on same thing again same thing yes I know how to force the air out just don't have a wet vac. Any forcing it from the kitchen tap hot first then cold dont seem to work as the pressure is really fast hopefully will all right itself again, thanks system 3

No need for that either if the op don't like what someone says then they should just ignore and carry on looking for help
Freedom ad speech and all that lol

When a poster asks for free advice from a tradesman, effectively costing themselves or another plumber a paying gig, they should be a little humble and appreciative of the fact that we do it and in our free time. As it happens the OP saw the sense in getting a plumber in but I don't think anyone was particularly rude. If you have such delicate sensibilities then a job in this industry is probably not a good fit.

Some of us work 7.30am till 9pm trying to navigate the minefield that is penny pinching, deceitful "customers", merchants trying it on, quoting for free for jobs you don't get because the customer always goes with the cheapest, being robbed at the petrol pump and so on and so on.
Giving advice for free is something we do out of kindness, is not an obligation.

Sorry if you take offence to this but you won't make it as a plumber being so soft. If you are serious about being a plumber start looking at this as your industry too. It's a business, not a public service.

Bit confused, he is asking for free advice, I want to pay for my advice, where do I pay?

I am not delicate, I just can't stand the rudeness on this forum, this is just the tip of the iceberg, rudeness because people can't spell, get their words wrong, get mixed up, yes this is fair enough in a building site i.e. but not on a so called "respectable forum"

How is it costing you money? you arent giving up work to be on here are you? you aint loosing anything from giving out advice and probably it is helping you by giving you something to do when you are bored. so no he shouldn't be appreciative in my opinion.

he has asked for advice, you gave him the advice and he asked for more advice which to you made no sense. however to him it made sense and for his courage to give it a go and try something new he has been knocked down and been ripped apart for it. no this is not my belief of what a forum should be. should somebody be a little bit less knowlegeable then you then you should appreciate this and help that little more.
Seems like plumbers on here would slam the door on a blind man.

Now I have had several comments on here saying that I am too soft, I am not a good plumber because I don't be rude or joke about other peoples unfortunate situations and that the world isnt as nice as I think it should be.

I honestly know this but after receiving infractions for swearing, being told not to xxxxxx instead of swearing and being told there are strict rules on this forum, I do not understand how "plumbers arms" plumbers get away with being rude and bullying people when I got absolutely ripped into for swearing? does not make sense.

And this forum is a public service, you are helping out other plumbers "for free" and helping out the public and you may get help back. When did it become a business?

please get off your high horse and understand "forum" means "an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest."

Not ......
A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from their own or intolerant of people of different political views, ethnicity, race, class, religion, profession, sexuality or gender.

No need for that either if the op don't like what someone says then they should just ignore and carry on looking for help
Freedom ad speech and all that lol

Purely defending himself against previous comment which had no reference to OP questions.

He didnt help matters but he has been attacked and is defending himself.

Jase if you feel that strongly that the members on here are not your cup of tea your free to leave at any time

Maybe I will never make it as a plumber but I will never charge for advice, never moan that I only get 1 out of 10 quotes, work 24 hours straight if I have to and just accept that petrol costs what it cost, life is way too short ot worry about these small things, every time I have finnished at 9pm, it has been because of my own mistake and usually get a nice tip for putting that little bit extra effort in.
Advice doesnt cost me anything and I wouldn't charge the customer for it either. How many times have you complained that your quote was the most expensive and the customer went with it, if you are loosing that many jobs then you need to look at your prices compared to others in your area.
I would travel to the other side of the country to just give advice, for just the cost of petrol if it helped somebody out.

The reason most are on this forum is to make themselves feel better, thinking that they have helped somebody out, how much will you pay for that? it is not a duty to be on this website but it was your choice, if you don't want to give advice then go somewhere else to bully people.

And if we can help the public to do the small jobs, then they will be more willing to call a plumber to do the bigger jobs, if we bully them into calling a plumber then they will simply lie so that you think they have sorted it and then go and read a book or do a course on Plumbing. I hope one of these guys you bully turns out to be your mechanic, fixed your breaks mate, £2000, have a nice drive.

Jase if you feel that strongly that the members on here are not your cup of tea your free to leave at any time

But its not all of them, just a handful of them. some are here for the right reasons and some are clearly on here to simply bully.
makes me sick to be part of such a community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No cold water in bathroom after changing toilet? Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock