Search the forum,

Discuss No cold water in bathroom after changing toilet? Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't bully anyone and if you think that's bullying then I don't know

you can't avoid the ocassional bit of rudeness on internet forums. it's the anonymity that does it. i think this is a far more civilised and polite place for comments than many places i've visited - even the rudeness is usually accompanied by a humouress edge. have you read the comments under youtube videos? unbelievable how bullying and offensive some people are.

i would prescribe a beer jase, i think you've permitted too big a bee to get under your bonnet over this one.

How is it costing you money? you arent giving up work to be on here are you? you aint loosing anything from giving out advice and probably it is helping you by giving you something to do when you are bored. so no he shouldn't be appreciative in my opinion.

If you can't grasp this then you'll never make it in any walk of life. My mortgage being paid relies on people paying me for my knowledge and expertise. With the free distribution of information afforded by the internet my (and your) pool of work is shrinking.
Not knowing how to do something is no longer and obstacle for the diyer. Now our customers consist of those too busy, too lazy and physically incapable of doing the work.

Our knowledge allows me to cloth and feed my children. That being said I will still give someone a little advice if asked. You think that person shouldn't show some appreciation? Wow.

I honestly know this but after receiving infractions for swearing, being told not to xxxxxx instead of swearing and being told there are strict rules on this forum, I do not understand how "plumbers arms" plumbers get away with being rude and bullying people when I got absolutely ripped into for swearing? does not make sense.

I don't know why you're making out the members with access to the plumber's arms are some kind of arrogant, elitist bully because they're not. They're just professional plumbers.
You can't swear on the forum but you can be direct and honest with someone. Whether they have a tantrum or not is another matter.

And this forum is a public service, you are helping out other plumbers "for free" and helping out the public and you may get help back. When did it become a business?

please get off your high horse and understand "forum" means"an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest."

Plumbing is and always has been a business, I take it seriously as all plumbers should. I'll help another plumber if, and only if, his customer base doesn't overlap with mine. Likewise i'll see a member of the public pay another hard working plumber to do a job before I hold their hand through it and no-one gets paid.
If it's a hobby for you then great, just don't preach to the people who are walking the walk. It's a bloody hard game and i'm not in it for fun, social consciense be damned.

As for your last post, all I can say is you display an absolutely shocking naivety which will evaporate in the first year of trading if you manage to make it that far. I just hope you don't have a family relying on you to make a living out of being a tradesman because they'll starve.

Anyone able to recommend where can I buy some boxing gloves?

I wanna say something but I don't know which side I should be representing ...

Also, if it's any help, I could contact Alain Rolland (the Wales/France rugby referee) ...

If you can't grasp this then you'll never make it in any walk of life. My mortgage being paid relies on people paying me for my knowledge and expertise. With the free distribution of information afforded by the internet my (and your) pool of work is shrinking.
Not knowing how to do something is no longer and obstacle for the diyer. Now our customers consist of those too busy, too lazy and physically incapable of doing the work.

Our knowledge allows me to cloth and feed my children. That being said I will still give someone a little advice if asked. You think that person shouldn't show some appreciation? Wow.

I don't know why you're making out the members with access to the plumber's arms are some kind of arrogant, elitist bully because they're not. They're just professional plumbers.
You can't swear on the forum but you can be direct and honest with someone. Whether they have a tantrum or not is another matter.

Plumbing is and always has been a business, I take it seriously as all plumbers should. I'll help another plumber if, and only if, his customer base doesn't overlap with mine. Likewise i'll see a member of the public pay another hard working plumber to do a job before I hold their hand through it and no-one gets paid.
If it's a hobby for you then great, just don't preach to the people who are walking the walk. It's a bloody hard game and i'm not in it for fun, social consciense be damned.

As for your last post, all I can say is you display an absolutely shocking naivety which will evaporate in the first year of trading if you manage to make it that far. I just hope you don't have a family relying on you to make a living out of being a tradesman because they'll starve.

FYI I have been trading for 2 years now. I like the way you make it personal, my 3 year old boy is starving and on the streets, hungary, not knowing where his next meal is coming from.

And the reason I say "plumbers arms plumbers" is because every time I see rude comments it always comes from "plumbers arms" plumber.

Maybe you have been doing it too long and don't appreciate the fact that you are earning a hell of a lot more then the people out there who are on minimum wage stuck in the same old job day in day out. or the people who can not get a job and receiving benefits trying every day to get a job. Or the people who have to walk 5 miles a day just to get a clean glass of water.

There is more to life then money and I am suprised you have any customers if all you think about is money, if customer had £2,000 on side and went out, would you take it?

Every time I tell people I'm a plumber they say "you must be rich" but from what you are saying plumbers live on the bread line. Hungry and barely able to afford diesel. Giving advice in your spare time does not cost anything. They were probably going to find a way of doing it themselves anyway so stop reading into it so much.

Also, if it's any help, I could contact Alain Rolland (the Wales/France rugby referee) ...

Anyone but him, he'll never cross this side of the severn again and live to tell of it. It's still a bit raw, I think it's contributed to my recent grumpy demeanor lol!

Speak to any computer engineer and they will say that there is no money to be made in fixing computers as people can do it themselves, the trick is to evolve and move on, not live in the past and cry about a few quid.

and if there was a plumber in the house next door, I was meant to get that job but they decided to go with him. I saw him outside really puzzled, I would still help him. Never know he may be able to help me when I'm really stuck one day.

The customer might of gone with him as he explained a bit better or because he gave off a better impression or because it was cheaper, really doesnt bother me.

'not sure how that s going to work mate . doubt blasting the main up the hot supply in the kitchen going to clear it an airlock in the cold supply ?'

Having re-read the post at the begining of this saga I realised this but I had the impression that the OP was not really receptive to advice and decided to leave the debate and not to respond further.

Although, I don't agree with jase158 with regards to bullying, I do think the whole post has got a little out of hand amongst ourselves.

Trouble is if we were all sitting in the pub having this discussion there'd be no misunderstanding because we could explain things clearly. Time and time again, things are read out of context or the meaning has been misconstrued and no-one wants to give in etc.

Funny thing is though the OP has given up and got a plumber in and hasn't posted any further.

Did the OP do any of the things suggested, probably not, he was probably looking for an easy soloution to the problem, all the suggestions required tools or some knowledge or ability. When the OP thought he sorted the problem in the morning or thought it sorted itself there was a bit of an attitude there. Two hours later though, was back looking for more advice...... I think this annoyed people.

On this happy note I'm off for my regular Sunday night surprise (or not so much of a surprise) between 9.45 and 10.00....

Maybe you have been doing it too long and don't appreciate the fact that you are earning a hell of a lot more then the people out there who are on minimum wage stuck in the same old job day in day out. or the people who can not get a job and receiving benefits trying every day to get a job. Or the people who have to walk 5 miles a day just to get a clean glass of water.

I earn more than people on minimum wage because I work harder and longer. I "earn" more than people on the dole because I made wise choices, the fact that they're able to claim benefits means they already get enough sympathy from me.
As for the "children are starving in africa" argument I think you've done yourself a disservice there.

There is more to life then money and I am suprised you have any customers if all you think about is money, if customer had £2,000 on side and went out, would you take it?

Ahh, so anyone with a bit of business acumen is a greedy thief? I think we're getting to the bottom of things now. I suppose you were camped outside of St.Paul's this morning?

Every time I tell people I'm a plumber they say "you must be rich" but from what you are saying plumbers live on the bread line. Hungry and barely able to afford diesel. Giving advice in your spare time does not cost anything. They were probably going to find a way of doing it themselves anyway so stop reading into it so much.

I have no idea what you were aiming for with this. It's commendable that you are so community spirited but I don't think it's your place to tell someone else that they should give away their means of earning a living for free or for little or no thanks. It's up to each individual to decide and membership of this forum doesn't dictate that we must help the public or even that it is this forums sole purpose.

I think we're at opposite ideological poles and won't agree. I'm happy to continue making a healthy, but honest profit out of my business.

'not sure how that s going to work mate . doubt blasting the main up the hot supply in the kitchen going to clear it an airlock in the cold supply ?'

Having re-read the post at the begining of this saga I realised this but I had the impression that the OP was not really receptive to advice and decided to leave the debate and not to respond further.

Although, I don't agree with jase158 with regards to bullying, I do think the whole post has got a little out of hand amongst ourselves.

Trouble is if we were all sitting in the pub having this discussion there'd be no misunderstanding because we could explain things clearly. Time and time again, things are read out of context or the meaning has been misconstrued and no-one wants to give in etc.

Funny thing is though the OP has given up and got a plumber in and hasn't posted any further.

Did the OP do any of the things suggested, probably not, he was probably looking for an easy soloution to the problem, all the suggestions required tools or some knowledge or ability. When the OP thought he sorted the problem in the morning or thought it sorted itself there was a bit of an attitude there. Two hours later though, was back looking for more advice...... I think this annoyed people.

On this happy note I'm off for my regular Sunday night surprise (or not so much of a surprise) between 9.45 and 10.00....

Saw a thread on here little while ago where a woman was asking for advice, she was absolutely ripped into and ended up going a bit ballistic, she was the one who got kicked off. If you were to do that in a pub, your mates would turn round and give you slack for starting on a woman.
My problem is that these people can get away with things that would not normally be accepted elsewhere. And absolutely amazed how they blatently deny it afterwards too. Manners cost nothing.

Jase why don't you contact the admins to get access to the plumbers arms? These discussions are healthy and are what that forum is for.

That said I don't think anyone bullied or ripped into anyone in this thread. Some people became a bit frustrated with the OP but that was it.

Finnaly agree with you,

However in my experience anybody with a bit of business acrumen, gives something free to make more sales.

Buy 1 Get 1 Free, 2 for 1, 3 for the price of 2, free quotes.

Suppose these are all scams and you are actually paying more then you would normally?

You remind me of somebody else.....

Couldn't answer my question though could you. Would you take the money?

I have no idea what you were aiming for with this. It's commendable that you are so community spirited but I don't think it's your place to tell someone else that they should give away their means of earning a living for free or for little or no thanks. It's up to each individual to decide and membership of this forum doesn't dictate that we must help the public or even that it is this forums sole purpose.

I think we're at opposite ideological poles and won't agree. I'm happy to continue making a healthy, but honest profit out of my business.

Can you explain to me what you believe a forum is for?

I'm happy making a healthy profit and helping people along the way.

Jase158 and Hybrid

Judging by the last couple of posts it seems that I should cancel the boxing gloves order. At the risk of sounding patronising (and I don't mean to be patronising at all) it makes a great change to see a heated discussion on the internet end in accepting each other's viewpoints, even if not in total agreement with them.

I've seen a fair few forums over the years and this is easily the most gentlemanly of them and the debate above proves this. Compared to some of what I've read on other forums (language, bullying and pure nastiness, etc) this forum is really tame and we all hope it remains that way.

Anyway, another week's just starting and let's hope it goes well for all of us.

Couldn't answer my question though could you. Would you take the money?

Would I steal from someone? I didn't think I had to answer that one and I wont.

Though why you equate attributing a high value to the service I provide to theft I can't fathom.
You remind me of someone too. A character from Atlas Shrugged.

So your honest,
Do you tell the customer that your going to scrap copper in?
Do you charge customer the same for materials as you get them for and put petrol on bill instead?
Do you tell the customer that the boiler your installing is free because you have bought so many boilers from them that you get one free?

So back to my question, would you take that money?

Life swings in roundabouts, all I'm saying is if you are on a "forum" which is for helping people then you should be willing to help, should this be telling them they are out their depth then so be it, however having a go at them and being rude is not productive nor is it helpful.
If this is the way you wish to run your life then so be it, but I was expressing my disgust at how people treat other people on this forum.

Do we have any ex screwfix members on here?, that forum is a dead duck now but was a good laugh about a year ago. The plumbers talk forum was the worst of them all for diy'ers being ridiculed and abused.

Jase why don't you contact the admins to get access to the plumbers arms? These discussions are healthy and are what that forum is for.

That said I don't think anyone bullied or ripped into anyone in this thread. Some people became a bit frustrated with the OP but that was it.

Because I would never associate myself with those people in there that are exactly what I can not stand.

So your honest,
Do you tell the customer that your going to scrap copper in?
Do you charge customer the same for materials as you get them for and put petrol on bill instead?
Do you tell the customer that the boiler your installing is free because you have bought so many boilers from them that you get one free?

You're just being childish there. Though not as childish as repeatedly asking me if I would steal from a customer.

Life swings in roundabouts, all I'm saying is if you are on a "forum" which is for helping people then you should be willing to help, should this be telling them they are out their depth then so be it, however having a go at them and being rude is not productive nor is it helpful.
If this is the way you wish to run your life then so be it, but I was expressing my disgust at how people treat other people on this forum.

A forum isn't exclusively for helping people, it's a meeting place for minded people where they can discuss common issues. That people chose to help one another is testament to their decency, not their force participation.

If you find the people on this forum so distasteful then I suggest you leave us to our nefarious ways. For crying out loud don't go to the screwfix forum, you'll last all of an hour.

Do we have any ex screwfix members on here?, that forum is a dead duck now but was a good laugh about a year ago. The plumbers talk forum was the worst of them all for diy'ers being ridiculed and abused.
Hope none of the bad apples. That was a thoroughly unpleasant forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I am looking at this all wrong.

You have been working all week, had a really bad week, customers moaning and winging, getting tiny leaks that just don't stop no matter what you do and then your last job and customer is asking a hundred questions whilst watching your every move "is that right" "are you sure thats how you do it" then you come on here to unwind and help other people and you get some clown who just doesnt listen and asks you "are you sure" you find the funny side to it and take the mick, its not his fault but you have had a bad week and he just tipped it off. but next time you do it think, would you do that to the customer if they asked you "are you sure" would you turn around and say "go find another plumber mate cos I cant be doing with you?". If so then fair enough do as you like and don't let me step in.
If not then think next time, this guy you are having a go at could be your next customer or somebody elses next customer, he has tried it himself, realised he is out of his depth, but instead of calling a qualified plumber in he will call a builder/ electrician friend or just a friend to do it. being rude does not help our trade and does not help our businesses. this just makes us look like complete and utter jerks. sory for the rant to all the nice plumbers on here but like i said beore, there are a few guys that really spoil it for the rest of us. Why haven't I left? because I will not be pushed out of anything, if these guys wont be kicked out then why should I leave.

if a plumber is friendly, gives good advice and is polite the customer will tell 1 person...If they a rude, short with the client ect they tell 10! soon know one will come on here for advice or help in fear of getting shot down

You're just being childish there. Though not as childish as repeatedly asking me if I would steal from a customer.

A forum isn't exclusively for helping people, it's a meeting place for minded people where they can discuss common issues. That people chose to help one another is testament to their decency, not their force participation.

If you find the people on this forum so distasteful then I suggest you leave us to our nefarious ways. For crying out loud don't go to the screwfix forum, you'll last all of an hour.

Funny, I have been on there before and never found any rude comments, funny that.

if a plumber is friendly, gives good advice and is polite the customer will tell 1 person...If they a rude, short with the client ect they tell 10! soon know one will come on here for advice or help in fear of getting shot down

allelujah, somebody finnaly gets me.

With the free distribution of information afforded by the internet my (and your) pool of work is shrinking.

if you feel you are loosing work by giving advice then don't, what do you suggest? some sort of pay per question? LOL!

Love it, can't think of an answer so go straight to "your being childish"

really clever response.

your still not understanding me, your choice is help or not help.
what you and others are doing is making a choice, help or be rude.

That's right. "Customer".
I've built up a good rapport with my customers by being professional, fair and consistant with my work and my pricing.
If a customer wants something for nothing they are dealing with the wrong man. There are no loss leaders with plumbing and no loyalty with customers. A job done for free is a job lost and if your price isn't right no amount of good will can sway a customers decision.

If anyone thinks otherwise they're deluded.

FYI Jase
I have worked with 100's of tradesmen from every part of the building trade over more years than you have lived and i have yeat to meet or even hear of 1 who would pocket as much as a 10p found in anyone's house. Not because they are all 100% honest people, in fact some were among the biggest rouges i have ever met.
Figure that one out.

You have a lot to learn about how genuine tradesmen operate.

Btw you are starting to be abusive now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No cold water in bathroom after changing toilet? Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock