Discuss New Bathroom questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Tom, I was thinking the same.

By the way, for any further post, my name is Martin (cannot find where to edit this!)

No problem Martin

Have you taken photographs of everything, just in case?

I took photo's before the work, during, and after, although some of the in between work could not be photographed as it was boarded up too quick.

I have 116 pics. Think that's enough :)

It is now 18.07 on 12 April 2010, and no word from the contractor, with my calls and texts being ignored - not looking good eh?

I'm now pre-empting myself and have prepared an official letter to send to the contractor at 15.00 tomorrow if I hear nothing, and have been looking into the Small Claims Court should all else fail.

I really wish I had found UK Plumbers Forum before I had the work carried out, and found someone reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like maybe the plumber was out of his depth?

How long has he been plumbing?

I know its easy to critisise in these situations but he has not done himself any favours regarding not turning up.

He may have decided to cut his losses and walk away.

Have a word with Trading Standards - they will help you with your letter as there are certain terms which you should use.

Unfortunately it sounds like you've been had by a cowboy plumber.

Have a word with Trading Standards - they will help you with your letter as there are certain terms which you should use.

Unfortunately it sounds like you've been had by a cowboy plumber.

Thankyou, I have an appointment with them later today (Tuesday).

UPDATE: 13.36 13 April 2010

This is unbelievable. Please read this and laugh or weep (because I don't know what to do!) ...

The contractor turned up, and I pointed out, in a friendly manner, the long list of problems with the bathroom. After saying that there was nothing he could do, and asking who told me that his work was wrong (I quoted this forum, showing printouts, and also advice from Trading Standards), he then walked to my front door, held out his hand for me to shake, and said ...
" Thankyou Martin, Nice to meet you, goodbye".

And off he walked.
I have contacted Trading Standards again who have given me advice on the letter to send (which I will today by Special Delivery), and I will then, if no reply, take legal action against this company who puts you professionals into a bad light.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like a watch dog rogue traders contact to time

If you gave him time to put it right snd he didnt even bother to show up you were doin the right thing in coming here and Trading Standards

It looks like it will cost you a little more to go down the route of the small claims court if thats what your looking to do but at least you didnt pay out the full whack

Any chance of uuploading some of the photos?

Did you show him what the pump manufacturer said

Ive not alot more to add as WHPES has said it all really, the low pressure at the taps is probably because they are for high pressure installations, it sounds like you supplied the taps so id just take that one on the chin.
If you havent paid the man all the money, will the money youve got left pay for somone else to put the work right?.

Just to let you all have an update.
90 minutes ago, I had a phone call from the contractor telling me that he does good work, does not like a list of his bad work being shown to him, and cannot believe that I discussed it on this professional forum.
Without going into detail, he has threatened to kill me in the street, or when he waits outside my home, and is going to break into my home and smash it up.
I did not get into conversation (the above is the polite way he spoke to me), nor did I get angry with him, but the matter is now with the Police, as to be honest, I am scared.
This contractor said to me when he started, if ever I promise something or say something, "I do it".
I have the Police coming round later, and Trading Standards are being a total godsend to me with help.

I will need to get 3 quotes from Plumbers/ Bathroom Fitters, in case I need to sue, who can rectify this work, so any recommendations, from you, the professionals will be appreciated.

This has honestly been the worst most scary day of my life.

you've done the right thing by phoning the police but I cant say much than that, I assume you have his business address details for the Police to pay him a visit.

Your not the first person to be ripped off by a cowboy and certainly not the last

Its natural to be scard but in reality he's just angry that he couldn't pull a fast one on you and get out and get paid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Bathroom questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock