Search the forum,

Discuss ‘Never Drain’ valve is coming to B&Q near you... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexGas

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
A Barnsley inventor has seen his new product, designed to make removing radiators an easy task, go on sale in hundreds of B&Q stores across the UK.

Entrepreneur Tony Cardno, a former Goldthorpe colliery fitter, has created a new design for the radiator valve which doesn’t require a radiator to be drained before taking it off the wall.

B&Q were so impressed with Tony’s radiator isolation valve that they have ordered 7,000 units - and now the ‘Never Drain’ valve will be on sale in 250 stores from this month.

More here:

https://bdaily.co.uk/entrepreneurship/09-09-2015/barnsley-inventors-pluming-product-picked-up-by-bq/

So it's an iso which will block or leak over time like all isos do or am I missing something

So it's an iso which will block or leak over time like all isos do or am I missing something

Looks like it. It better be a full bore valve. One more valve to look at and worry about…

It (or something very like it) has been bouncing around the trade for years. I saw a prototype two or three years ago.

I'm sure it will do very well at B&Q.

Do I detect a little tongue in cheek Mr stafford

Do I detect a little tongue in cheek Mr stafford

Horses for courses Matt. There's nothing wrong with the concept, although its very difficult to make a small inconspicuous valve that doesn't restrict the flow, and can be relied upon to sit still for 15 years and then work perfectly when called upon.

If this chap has managed to create such a valve, then hats off to him, but I think it will be an uphill struggle selling it to the trade. Which is why I said I thought it would do well at B&Q.

We see lots of good ideas in prototype, but the gap between a good idea and a workable business model is immense. Unfortunately, lots of inventors get carried away with solving the technical problem, and don't spend the time working out whether everyone else sees the issue in the same way that they do. For every Chris Adey, there are a hundred clever inventors with a second or third mortgage and a file full of valueless patents.

No need for towels! I just see though, a steady spray from TRV or lockshield valves (which cannot be shut off completely) destroying carpets, especially on sealed systems. Hope Tony is not trying to get rid of us!

All he had to do is to get one of these:

R315262-01.jpg

I take it Tony doesn’t play chess… Cos, if one would think one step ahead… there might be a need for a towel before it’s too late. Towels, towels and more towels!

Last edited:
very handy especially for something like a 2 metre double no doubt his next invention will be a hydraulic lifter to lift the rad full of water

If Ive understood correctly, they'll be good for new installations I suppose. I would have thought new builds would be the best place to fit them.
No point in BnQ trying to flog them is it, there no use once the rad has been filled up

a9f517646adcb1f04acb944a512674b7.jpg

They have been around for a while in this form.new builds big developers it's all about the penny's so won't Realy be used there.most small installers install the cheapest valves they can get so are not going to spend anther £5.00 or more on extra valves.
A good quality Trv (danfoss)and LSVwith drain off is the best way.
Some things are just never going to take off in a big way this is one of them.
But it's maintenance work for the future [emoji16]

Is he having a laugh? If so fair play to him, he does look a little like an ageing chuckle brother!

All jokes aside I see no useful application for this. A rad full of water is a heavy thing, dependant on size, but as has been previously mentioned when this isn't used for a good while on a system full of magnetite how well will it perform?

For a diyer to install these they will have to drain the system to rerofit all their rad valves which defeats the object as while the system is drained then they could just carry out the work they need to.

For a tradesman these will never be fitted as standard as there will be a significant cost increase, an inherent flow restriction (assuming they aren't full, bore which I can't see), another point that will eventually leak and create issues, they look bloody ugly and why would a tradesman fit something that will lessen your available work should they be this earth shattering product?

I can see the idea but the reality is that these are gimmicks marketed at those that can't see the future issues and believe that they could save a fortune in the future when in reality a rad comes of the wall very rarely.

Better to invest your diy money in a wet vac and a couple of scrap towels and some shallow trays. You will get endless uses out of all three of those products, especially the wet vac, and will still end up a lot cheaper.

Jon

Haha it's just an isolation valve... Rads are heavy enough without lifting the water as well, plus as said before the spindle will defs leak :)

I've had trouble lifting rads empty onto brackets let alone full, someone's going to loose there fingers under a rad,

A drain off on every rad is the answer, shut the valves and rain no mess no trouble and still got all your fingers

Take it the inventor has a thing against thumbs.... He should of asked a plumber, anyone would of told him the issues with his design.

Absolute garbage!!?

If it's a small system it takes hardly anytime to drain and refill (or better bung) and if it's a large system I can imagine customers wanting them on the rads!!

Are they longer then normal rad tails? Would make straight swaps a pain in the arris!

Ha ha ha ...he probably saw Toggers trying to drain an 1800 K2 into his carrier bag and thought wtf there go to be an easier way than this....yes a wet vac!

But if you need to change pipe work you will need to drain anyway does it make a sense ?

So what happens then when the trv is passing and you are working on a system with a tank in the loft space?

just encouraging DIY this carp is jeez

So what happens then when the trv is passing and you are working on a system with a tank in the loft space?

just encouraging DIY this carp is jeez

One should stand back! :smile: I bet, carpet sales will go up.

Last edited:
Just like those screwdriver operated isolation valves, I bet it will either seize up with time and the screwdriver slot will get mangled or it will leak around the valve stem after it's opened again.

Solving a problem that doesn't need solving and creating a new one in the process.

this new valve is a ball valve not a butterfly valve like the one in the picture, also domestic hot and cold water does not have inhibitor added, like any competent plumber knows it stops the valves from furring up and sizing.

lolololo

i bought a pair from wickes when they were having a clear out sale. i paid 50p for them 2 years ago, still in the van!!lol

I'm sure inventor Tony has seen this thread by now, maybe a few free samples for selected forum members so we can have a proper look.

If they do work in the long term and stop diy'ers putting cheap isolators all over the central heating waiting to bite us in the bottom at a later date and cost us money and time then it can only be a good thing. (on small rads).

being skeptical and experienced in removing anything from rads to full heating systems,my plumbers brain tells me,do not turn things on heating systems with slot heads on them,it will never work,good idea in principal,bad idea in practice,like many things in life,practice does not come into it,take most typical boiler designs as a very good example

this new valve is a ball valve not a butterfly valve like the one in the picture, also domestic hot and cold water does not have inhibitor added, like any competent plumber knows it stops the valves from furring up and sizing.

What is the difference between the two again?

Which type is the all reliable ball type pump valve?

And how many times do you need to isolate/drain down rads? In the past 15 years I've only had to do them once (twice on a couple) for decorating. Took the opportunity to drain down and flush through. Only problem is that valve won't work with my twin entry rad valves!

And how many times do you need to isolate/drain down rads? In the past 15 years I've only had to do them once (twice on a couple) for decorating. Took the opportunity to drain down and flush through. Only problem is that valve won't work with my twin entry rad valves!

It's about time you sorted out those valves :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ‘Never Drain’ valve is coming to B&Q near you... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock