Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Modena 80E - no DHW in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
This is the first one of these that I've come across so any help would be appreciated.
Customer complained of no DHW and drop in pressure at the gauge. I topped it up via the filling loop and re pressurised the expansion vessel, after which it was all fine.
Two days later and she's called to say that it's happened again but this time the last led is flashing (number 5 if I remember correctly).
I've got to go back but I'm thinking that the expansion vessel is shot - any comments or advice?

This is the first one of these that I've come across so any help would be appreciated.
Customer complained of no DHW and drop in pressure at the gauge. I topped it up via the filling loop and re pressurised the expansion vessel, after which it was all fine.
Two days later and she's called to say that it's happened again but this time the last led is flashing (number 5 if I remember correctly).
I've got to go back but I'm thinking that the expansion vessel is shot - any comments or advice?

or heat exchanger

These are prone to split internally and over pressurising. Could also be a blocked expansion vessel tube.

Check the basics before you go pulling it apart
PRV passing, causing pressure drop
Any visible leaks, rad tails, pipe work etc
Exp vessel needing recharge, don't know the specific pressure for a Modena, but 12 psi should be about right
Drain boiler before checking exp ves pressure, can get a false reading otherwise esp if hot
If the above is a case of "teaching your granny to suck eggs" just ignore me and delve deeper

Cheers for the advice guys, I'll go back in the morning a bit better prepared now.
Wattsie1987, what is it that actually splits?
jonnyswamp, your advice is very pertinent, and welcome, as I've been out of the industry for good while and combi boilers came around in the interim so I'm just learning about the intricacies of them really. It used to be all gas fires and back oilers when I started

Cheers for the advice guys, I'll go back in the morning a bit better prepared now.
Wattsie1987, what is it that actually splits?
jonnyswamp, your advice is very pertinent, and welcome, as I've been out of the industry for good while and combi boilers came around in the interim so I'm just learning about the intricacies of them really. It used to be all gas fires and back oilers when I started ��

Sorry I assumed you would of checked all of the above first. As they are a duel hex they can split internally causing the mains pressure in the dhw part of the hex to push into the heating part of the hex causing the pressure to rise and a prv situation.

Sorry I assumed you would of checked all of the above first. As they are a duel hex they can split internally causing the mains pressure in the dhw part of the hex to push into the heating part of the hex causing the pressure to rise and a prv situation.
Would a split hex cause the prv to operate if the pressure was constantly dropping then?
She has been using it for a couple of days after I topped up the system pressure for her but it has still dropped from 1.5bar to 1bar over a couple of days.
I've now located a prv unit but it cost £80 so I hope that it's just the prv (Its the MF03 model so it's a manifold with everything already attached) :)

Would a split hex cause the prv to operate if the pressure was constantly dropping then?
She has been using it for a couple of days after I topped up the system pressure for her but it has still dropped from 1.5bar to 1bar over a couple of days.
I've now located a prv unit but it cost £80 so I hope that it's just the prv (Its the MF03 model so it's a manifold with everything already attached) :)
if its constantly dropping,its not a split hex,if it was over pressuring and the loop had been disconnected it could be the hex,there is either a leak there somewhere or the EV has failed causing the prv to open,if its Giannini head on the prv you can just change that ,ferroli used a mixture of different heads though

if the head looks like this,buy a factors giacomini 3 bar valve and swap heads over soupape-3-bars-reference-l9010142.jpg

gas man, that's the prv from the MF01 & 02 models. I already have one of those to take back to Plumbcenter :)
the part that I needed was the complete manifold with the prv and flow switch etc already attached. £72 inc vat.
Im going to fit it this morning - don't usually do weekends but they I did say that I'd fix it this week so it's my fault for saying

Update!
I had to cut the nut off the bottom of the prv manifold to get it out but it was definitely that causing the problem as nothing exiting via prv run off now.
I have a got another minor problem though - the union at the bottom of the prv manifold won't seal properly but I'm guessing that's because there's no washer in there to seal it. There wasn't a washer in the joint when I took it apart but there definitely should be one as it's just two metal faces mating against each other. Tried an O ring but that's no good and I'm all out of fibre washers at the moment so it'll have to wait until Monday now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Modena 80E - no DHW in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
Hi. I have a hot water high pressure problem that my heating engineer (and other engineers that he has spoken to) cannot fix. I’m hoping someone...
Replies
Views
Hi, Solar thermal not so big these days but a couple of Q for anyone who still works in it. Background. I'm an Electrician not a plumber.. I've...
Replies
Views
hi can any qualified heating engineer comment on this set up that i just discovered at my elderly parents house? on a recent visit, and upon...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, hopeing someone can help We have a Greenstar Ri Boiler and its lost pressure, pressure gauge on top of the boiler reads 0.6 bar and...
Replies
Views
This is a weird one, for sure... I had an old Vaillant combi replaced by a new Worcester Greenstar 4000 by Boxt. It was as simple a job as you...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock