Search the forum,

Discuss I've snapped external stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

Hi guys,

water board had tarmac'ed over external stopcock so couldn't replace internal leKing stopcock

they came out after 3 weeks and put the access grid back in. I opened it up only to find it full of concrete!!! Phoned them back out, the came today and used a crowbar to break up the concrete and remove

i went, turned stopcock off, felt a little iffy. It was still passing, gave it another turn and it snapped the handle off. Didn't use much force at all

They are now coming out to repair as an emergency as occupants have no water.

Many idea if I liable??

Last edited by a moderator:
not as far as I am aware, have you rang them back up?

Yea, I've told them, that's why they are coming out on a emergency callout as customer has not water. First time it's ever happened to me so was just looking for advice

No you're not liable I snapped one a few years ago and thames water came out and fixed it no problems, the fact that it's been concreted in then smashed can't have helped it anyway

No you're not liable I snapped one a few years ago and thames water came out and fixed it no problems, the fact that it's been concreted in then smashed can't have helped it anyway

My thinking exactly!!

it is how you play it - its their stop tap and we 'are not supposed to play with them'

I - as you do sometimes have a few beers with whom would have been call a water board
superintendant - utility area boss man - his take last time we went over this -recently

was they dont want wally w's playing with their kit and the way out is ALWAYS if you screw up

1. just go away and dont go back BUT you can call in with 2
2. In emergencies 'qualified' people can operate their stuff - then call in with you name company etc and all will be ok

Centralheatking

CHK

j a su

They are responsible for the stoptap outside and anything before that.

Anything from that stoptap is the customers.

Well, I couldn't replace the internal leaking stopcock without turning the external one off. The water board ain't gonna fix the internal stopcock so therefore another firm has to touch their property.

i always really careful with the taps and have never broke one but the fact that their own guy took a crowbar to the concrete blockage says it all

beesley121 - I have untwisted loads of stiff road stop taps and caused huge gushers
in my time - i closed the A4 many years ago for a whole weekend / i wiped out much of
Larkhall in Bath one afternoon -

My motto is - along the lines - just go for it - their stuff is sometimes dead old and siezed
Centralheatking

beesley121 - I have untwisted loads of stiff road stop taps and caused huge gushers
in my time - i closed the A4 many years ago for a whole weekend / i wiped out much of
Larkhall in Bath one afternoon -

My motto is - along the lines - just go for it - their stuff is sometimes dead old and siezed
Centralheatking
Ahh that's why I had no water in Batheaston then when I lived there! What was the outcome?

These things happen from time to time. I doubt it will be an issue, but if they kick off point out to them the recent history, it was obviously fatigued and the washer did not do the job, Their valve their problem.

turned off a nursery school one morning to change an internal stopcock and dropped the cover on the plastic s bend to the meter, lovely fountain, kids v impressed, owners not so, so called the board, told them it was a H&S issue young kids etc etc, and got on with swapping the internal stop tap, just in time to see the board van turn up and replace the damage. He looked on knowinly and handed over some spare bends to save him coming out next time :)

My biggest was on the A4 in Corsham just on the chippenham side about 200m from the 2 pigs pub - road dug up on a friday night and traffic lights all weekend - the crews that got called out virtually hugged me for their overtime CHK
Ahh that's why I had no water in Batheaston then when I lived there! What was the outcome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I've snapped external stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock