Discuss Is my apprentice taking drugs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Stanios just talk to the boy theres always two sides to a story dont jump to conclusions if in the worst case scenario he is on something, or has some other problem then offer him help, if this get thrown back in your face then you seriously need to think of his future with you , explain that as your employee everytime he goes out to carry out work he is representing you and the company image and needs to present himself in a clean tidy professional manner, the college side of things would worry me he needs to knuckle down attend college gain, the highest grades possible complete his NVQS and portfolios he cannot progress in his career till the training is completed. Kop

If it were me I would tell you to duck off out of my or my sons personal life as it is nothing to do with you.

I dont know why but all of a sudden employing someones means you own them and can tell them what they can and cant do outside of work as it's simply their business not yours what they do.

If it is impacting on work then you can say something but otherwise butt out.

The point is - it is impacting his work.
He was kicked out of College also.

Reason enough in my book.

Last edited:
Haven't read all the replies but my personal take on this is to stay out his personal business. Spending £300 A weekend is nothing these days, when I was his age I could easily blow £80 a night and that was 13 years ago. Before you ask I've never taken a drug in my life. If he wants to be paid early thats up to you whether you do it or not, but if you do it frequently he'll expect it and know he doesnt need to be carful with his money.
However if he's coming to work drugged up then that's a different story and I'm sure you are within your legal rights to request a drug test if you suspect something, but you have to warn him about it first. It probably won't do much for him trusting you though. As for his attitude towards plumbing outside of work and at college, I thinks that's how alot of youngsters are now, they leave work at work and don't think about it when they get home and some just generally dislike college and don't want to do all the paperwork and studying that goes with it.
In general though, if your happy with him and he works well, invest in him. If your not happy with him or have concerns (about work, not personal life) then sit down with him and bring it up and ask for an honest response from him.

The point is - it is impacting his work.
He was kick out of College also.

Reason enough in my book.

Where does it say he was kicked out of college just they refused to take him on 1 day a week. Maybe they dont do that I had 1 apprentice his was 2.5 days college 2.5 days work. Both my boss and me said it's stupid as he didnt have any transport so he lost half a day. Once in his second year he didnt bother going the half day and worked it instead and the college were ok with that.

But nowhere does it say he was kicked out because of drugs.

Stanios even said no evidence of drug use at work and he is a really hard worker. Maybe he is just like I was and hated college but enjoyed working.

Might not be drugs, it could be gambling debt or he may have taken out a loan that he's struggling to pay back.
Gambling is a drug and ruins lives. I think you need to sit the lad down and talk calmly but firmly with him, without sounding like you're trying to interrogate him.
At the end of the day, you have a business to run and you have bills to pay too. A slip up from this lad could ruin your reputation. He's a very lucky lad to have someone like you taking him on and caring about his well being too.

Cheers for the wisdom, many wiser than me in these matters evidently! I've probed about his nights out they are eventful, suppose being out of touch hadn't realised such money can be spent on alcohol. Il tread carefully and probably just lease a van and keep a very close eye on things.

We are in it for long term I hope with that view I should not reprimand him even if there is evidence he is using socially as he would probably use and not tell me again I rather know and maybe be helpfull when and if it gets out of hand? Though I hate the thought of business paying into some scummy drugdealer's pocket (can't they just legalise the stuff or something)

They shoud legalise the lot. Revenue could be spent on useful social projects, like houses, schools, hospitals and the likes. Drug dealers in my scheme are making a fortune and the police seem to do nothing about it. They own 60k motors, holidays, caravans.....One boy I know from growing up is estimated to make about 4k a week from weed!!

Reply to Is my apprentice taking drugs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock