Search the forum,

Discuss Indirect system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The basic system is easy,the problem is what the last plumber has left you with,i cant see why some plumbers put iso valves on and some dont,i know now that the job i going to the last plumber has rounded both valves on the central heating pipework,probably trying to turn then with pliers or grips,the idiot,i know the basic sytem mate,just needed re-capping thats all,and now i re-capped its all clear again..........but thanks for calling me young lol.........pics of job to follow,piece of cake.....if i gotta drain down,i will drain down the system......

Sorry Simon J , but honestley some of the questions thes guys need to ask about the most basic plumbing, makes you wounder why they chose to do plumbing in the first place, and how they managed to get C&G quals, are these people what the plumbing industry has to look forward to ?? Maybe its not their fault ! but their is somthing wrong with the system when these guys are let out of collage with-out the basic knowlage they need to build on.

I do agree alot. I've gained alot of experience in my short time

I work with a plumber that is same age as me and has been doing it long than me YET he phones me most days asking what to do

For eg. I had to teach him how to balance a system
I had to talk him through an air lock
Ive even had to show him the correct way of using a flexi with rubber washer

I'm not slagging anyone off, but if you passed your City & Guilds, why didn't you learn this?
This is fundamental information that all Plumbers must know.

I remember every job interview I went for years ago, the interviewer, probably the boss with limited Plumbing knowledge would ask, "What's the difference between a direct cylinder and an indirect cylinder." You would then be shown a picture, and tell him what was wrong. The answer would normally be a pump on the cold feed or something.

Do you know the answer to this question? If not. Get your books out and read some, like we all had to do.

The problem with most courses nowdays is that the emphasis is on passing rather than learning.

plumbing.jpg .....the differnce............

Added a few more pics to my pictures,just so you know i been revising lol,cheers for all your replys........lots more pics to follow......... for future reference.............

Job completed this afternoon,i ended up bunging the tank and all draining went well,water was off approx 20 mins whilst i fitted new isoloation valve"s to new wash basin hw and cw,then i run every out-let in turn and carried out rest of work with only one small problem which was the chrome waste for basin,32mm my arse lol,fitted white compression fittings which i still not happy with,as i had to get bigger seals because the chrome pipe did not fit well into 32mm push fit at all,i had to but bigger seals to seal into the 32 mm compression fittings,something to bear in mind with these chrome basin traps, can you buy chrome fittings ? .... i never seen them.....................anyway cheers for all your comments,job done even had 3 cakes baked for me by the owners daughter lol..........

12 bathroom complete..jpg9 basin waste..jpg10 basin and tap..jpg11 basin waste..jpg1 old basin and trap..jpg2 new toilet in situ..jpg3 tap pipes cleaned ready to be cut..jpg4 pipework for wc..jpg5 wc outlet..jpg6 wc pipe fitting..jpg7 wc pipe fitting..jpg

Attachments

• 8 basin wall-plate.jpg
    8 basin wall-plate.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you learn to do plumbing? :smile:
That picture of the pipe from the ballofix valve to the toilet cistern is an eyeful!
All it needed was a nice copper pipe offset, or a couple Yorkshire elbows, or, if you want a DIY job - a flexi.

Lol,there is a reason i did that lol,didnt want to cut the rising pipe back any more than it was,but i agree a bit of an eyeful!!,not enough gap for an offset,cheers for comment though,its noted .........

Lol,there is a reason i did that lol,didnt want to cut the rising pipe back any more than it was,but i agree a bit of an eyeful!!,not enough gap for an offset,cheers for comment though,its noted .........

Lol! You could have fitted the ballofix valve lower if needed & used a 90 degree fitting to the cistern valve tail & a bent piece of copper - or used solder elbow, if you didn't fancy doing an offset!
Nice steel wool job of pipe though! :smile:

Last edited:
Hi Sti B, you say that the person that you did this job for is a friend of yours ! is he still speaking to you ? for some-one who has been doing plunbing for 4 + years, this is a very poor standerd of work ! Did you get paid for this ?? Looks like total weekend DIY job, Monday morning wife calls plumber to put it right, the job is an eyesore ! you could have removed boxing and alterd pipe work, changed for chrome pipe (Yes you can get chrome fittings) Do you do this work part time ? You realy need to spend some time whth some-one who can point you in the right direction, or change your job, if you started work with me you would have been sent home by 10am.

JTS said....... You realy need to spend some time whth some-one who can point you in the right direction,

Thats why i joined the forum,cheers for your comments...............

looks like a french horn only joking steve b. i take it the person he needs to go out with is you is it jtsplumbing. all due and respect its must be brill coming out of college knowing absolutley everything about plumbing jts. i wish i was like you not having to learn anymore. anyway have you thought about doing a course on brain sugery as a side line im sure youll be the best at it.then theres quantum physics you could do on the weekend before you know it nobel prize. could you please send me your autograph

Last edited:
French horn lmao......see if i woulda been with phil today,that woulda made his day,takin micky outta me whilst lol watching me altering wc,dot worry i can take it lol,see you on next job lol........

French horn lmao......see if i woulda been with phil today,that woulda made his day,takin mickey outta me whilst lol watching me altering wc,dot worry i can take it lol,see you on next job lol........

i look back at some of my jobs and think WTH was i thinking but, it was all learning and i would never do it ever again

as far as i can say is congratulations for completing the job on your own
well done for not having a leak
and top marks for making the waste work, they can be very diffucult to work with

keep up the good work
quality will come with experience ( not saying that what you done wasnt good)

I'm afrain I'm having to agree with some of the coments on here about the look of it but I'll also try and offer a bit of constructive criticism.

I'd say your main problem has been a lack of planning with the pipework. Instead of spending a bit of time working out how you're going to do it, it looks like you've rushed in and made it up as you go along.

With the toilet I would have used an end feed tap connector and two end feed elbows, possibly a street in the ballofix if necessary and just gone straight across. It would have been quicker and looked a lot tidier.

With the basin I would have used two 45 bends to step the waste back to the wall and run the outlet from the chrome bottle trap straight back.

i agree with mike, with a bit of thought you could have done things better so they were more pleasing on the eye.

And I'll agree with jts plumbing over 4 years and you think that's good come on guys

He may have been doin a little bit for 4 years. We prob do more in a week than ste b has done in that time

We've all gotten wet when we started

Give him a break

I know plumbers that have been doin it for 5 years. And they can't do a better job than that

And there's one in particular that is gas safe too!!!

Trouble with untidy plumbing on show is you will be judged by it. If I came to a house done like that, I would think, must be diyer, what else is done wrong, have they soldered right? etc. I tend to point out really ugly plumbing, or work liable to give trouble to the people.
Try to replace, hide pipes where possible.

Well what can you say, if some of you guys think that this standerd of work is acceptable for some-one who is C&G and been at for over 4 + years, then what are your standerds like ?? Yes we all have to learn and we all make mistakes, but in all honesty would you accept this in your own house ? and would you be happy to pay for it ?
Comment for philtheflush ! I would be more than happy to take Ste B out for some prectical experance if he lived in this area, as for your comment on leaveing collage knowing everything, well I did it the old way ! Apprenticeship in the 60s and gess what ? it was in Manchester. Autograph in post.

Jts plumbing and gray obviously have not read other post by me on here,i dont remeber saying i have been doing plumbingfor 4 years,i do agree with some comments,and will take on-board for next time,and mike thanks for the constructive critisism................

In fairness, you are man enough to show pictures of your work & take comments on it. Plus you didnt use plastic pipe plumbing like a lot would.

i nothing to hide best i learning,and i hate plastic,lol...........i not after a job from here,lol,just advice and thats exactly what i got,allready had an offer i cant refuse,so its all good...............

He may have been doin a little bit for 4 years. We prob do more in a week than ste b has done in that time

We've all gotten wet when we started

Give him a break

I know plumbers that have been doin it for 5 years. And they can't do a better job than that

And there's one in particular that is gas safe too!!!

I'm not disagreeing Simon but we kind of know when something don't just look right and I'm sorry that looks far from right it looked better on the before picture IMHO

ste b you seem to have a good attitude and are obviously keen to progress your skills and knowhow which imo is half the battle.

good luck mate,

i nothing to hide best i learning,and i hate plastic,lol...........i not after a job from here,lol,just advice and thats exactly what i got,allready had an offer i cant refuse,so its all good...............

I wish you the best of luck mate
My best advice is always look at the job and think would I be happy with that in my own house

jts you said it an apprentiship were are their apprentiships now. we all got to learn and if learning is by making mistakes well so be it but its a bit cruel asasinating some ones ability because its not as good as yours the biggest thing you lack when you leave college is confidence and by getting good advice helps with that because you have an idea of what youre going to face. anyway (1) is the plumbing different in manchester and (2) i hope you put a stamp on the envelope no hard feelings

ive got to say that pipe on the cistern dont half give me a laugh it looks like a water confuser which way is the water going good luck steve b

Hi Phil, sorry mate us old country boys dont earn enougth to buy stamps, not like you high flying city plumbers lol, Still think that ste b needs to spend some time with another plumber,to get some advise, may-be you could help if he is in your neck of the woods, Still Ive found some-one who bites very easey, may-be I can wind you up on next post, at least we can have a laugth about things, just my northern sense of humour.
:chillpill:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Indirect system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock