Discuss Immersion Heater problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sparky88

I have just connected up a large immersion heater. A plumber installed this on a house refurb. ( who the owner can't get hold of right now)

The immersion is controlled by a horstmann eco7 with a boost (top element) and economy 7 timer(bottom element)

At first the home owners couldn't get any hot water whilst using the boost, it got slightly warm but nowhere near enough. Anyway I contacted manufacturer and they told me to turn the thermostat on immersion up to 4. This worked fine and the water was very hot. I've also set it to work on Eco 7 tonight.

Anyhow just had a phone all from homeowner saying the immersion was leaking from a pipe and making a hissing sound. The customer describes the leaking from a plastic black joint which is open at the front and back. Is this some sort of regulator??

any ideas why it's leaking from said place? Immersion is brand new.

Tell the customer to turn off the immersions and then to call a g3 qualified plumber. A safety device has operated.

As above, somethings not right with the cylinder, call the appropriately qualified engineer :)

As above, somethings not right with the cylinder, call the appropriately qualified engineer :)

When I spoke to the chap who fitted it today regarding temperature, he was very vague and basically said its nothing to do with me the element heats it up. As the spark I'm getting 230v to cylinder when boost is on so for me it's basically job done.

I'm just worried that this is somehow going to get flipped on me... Does this sound like a plumbing fault or electrical fault. The only thing I can think off is the stats on too high...

Anyway I've just been and isolated circuit for piece of mind.

I've now identified the leak coming from the "tundish". I'm presuming this is to do with the pressure in the tank.

The more I read about the G3 qualification the more things add up. Today, under conversation with the installer he mentioned that he can't say to much because "they" (whoever "they" are) want him to do a course to do this type of work. I didn't really take it as anything at first but now I've looked into it, this guy isn't qualified to instal this type of immersion.

I would be grateful if someone could confirm if this is an electrical problem or a design problem?

Quite probably an installation problems. Tell your custard immediately.

He needs an accredited enginer. And don't piddle with it yourself.

Quite probably an installation problems. Tell your custard immediately.

He needs an accredited enginer. And don't piddle with it yourself.

I'm not planning on touching anything, I haven't a clue with anything water. I'm a spark. Never had this problem before. It's usually just a simple element connection for me and I'm done.

As long as you connected it according to the manufacturers instructions it's not your fault.

I'd be wanting words with the dangerous fool who plumbed it in though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Immersion Heater problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have read of hot water cylinders being heated with a dual element immersion heater. The main principle being that a shorter element heats the...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Bit general. We have solar boosting our hot water using iboost. My question, the...
Replies
Views
B
Hi everyone, I have a Santon Premier Plus PP120E (unvented direct immersion heater) fitted with two thermostats, which provides hot water to taps...
Replies
Views
Bridog
B
Hi all I’m not a plumber or a DIYer. I need help! My immersion heater has started coming on at about 10.15 pm. I dont know when this started...
Replies
Views
E
Good evening everyone :), I’ve recently moved into a new flat that is completely electric (It’s got a dual immersion heater) and just had a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock