Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion diversion advise in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Plumb Tidy

Gas Engineer
Hi all, I'm just after some knowledge to something i came across today. I was asked how a direct unvented cylinder worked in an apartment a few doors down to where i was working. The couple just moved in and wanted some advice, They had only been in the apartment for two days and used to have a combi system. The cylinder wasn't heating up over night and they had to constantly use the boost and the controls were not working at all.

I made safe the electric and opened up the control box and saw what is in the picture attached to this thread. One wire from one RCD feeding both immersions, the controls completely by passed. I was just wondering why they had done this as i am interested. Also wanted to know if one 20amp breaker is suitable for two immersions around 3kw's each.

I have asked them to get an electrician in. Then i can sort out the cylinder as the expansion vessel is flat and the check valve is before the tee off to the cold feed to bathroom and kitchen and D1 for the expansion relief runs uphill 600mm, been there since 2001 with no paperwork.

Cheers.

Attachments

• tempImagewBLLt2.png
    tempImagewBLLt2.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
Sounds like the last people bypassed the controls as it’s bad / faulty and couldn’t be bothered to sort it

With regard to your comment about the capacity of the breaker and cable - good call - 2 x 3kW (@240V) = 25Amps, over the safe rating for 2.5 T&E, and the 20A breaker (though it might not trip)

But that Horstmann timer is designed to ensure only one immersion can be on at a time. ie if you pressed 'boost' while the lower timed immersion was on, it would disconnect the lower timed one for the duration of the boost.

If the Horstmann controller still works, and is reconnected and used as intended, the circuit won't be overloaded.

As per Shaun, looks like a bodge cos something's gone wrong. Maybe the bottom immersion has failed?

Reply to Immersion diversion advise in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock