Discuss How do I connect a normal sink tap outlet to a WC cistern 1/2 float valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shires Lynx

Hi everyone, nice to meet you all.

I am a cistern collector and from time to time I like to test them.

What I want to know is, is it possible to securely connect a normal sink tap to a cistern's float ball valve without it leaking? So I can turn on the tap and have it act as a water feed to the float ball valve without any leaks from both ends? If there is, what item do I need to do this?

I've tried hose-pipes and PVC bath/shower hoses, but I can never secure them into the float valve inlet properly, they leak and end up bursting when the pressure of the float valve closes in the cistern as it fills up.

My sink tap looks like this:

normalsinktap.jpg

And this is the 1/2" brass float valve I have in the cistern:

floatvalvebrass.jpg

So to sum up, is there a way of securely connecting the above tap and valve together without leakages from either end?

Any help will be most appreciated, thanks for your time.

think you need a 1/2'' female iron and some ptfe tape to seal it if the threads are the same size.

think you need a 1/2'' female iron and some ptfe tape to seal it if the threads are the same size.

Hmm, don't know plumbing items too well. Any chance of links to pictures to the 1/2" female iron item?

Thanks for the replies guys, this is what I'm trying to achieve, the water coming directly from the tap itself:

cisterntotap.jpg

Where does the 1/2" female iron item come into it?

Thanks

You could try using a hozelock bib tap adaptor on the float operated valve. They come with adaptors to fit 1/2". Alternatively use a speedfit tap connector with a short length of copper and connect the hose to the copper with a jubilee clip.

You could try using a hozelock bib tap adaptor on the float operated valve. They come with adaptors to fit 1/2". Alternatively use a speedfit tap connector with a short length of copper and connect the hose to the copper with a jubilee clip.

Thanks for suggesting those two items.

As for the hose, well if its a PVC hose or garden hose it's useless as it'll split/burst due to the water pressure when float valve closes and also the pressure from the tap too.

If your water pressure is too high for a normal hose to take then you won't find a fitting that will hold on your tap. You'll ned to use some sort of bib tap with a threaded outlet or a washing machine tap.

If your water pressure is too high for a normal hose to take then you won't find a fitting that will hold on your tap. You'll ned to use some sort of bib tap with a threaded outlet or a washing machine tap.

Hmm I see. Would you be kind enough to link me to a picture of such an item for my tap?

Hmm actually washing machine hoses is a neat idea, they seem strong enough to stand the pressure. But can they connect securely to a 1/2" float valve for a cistern? And even if it does, how do I connect the other end to my tap?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure I've seen appliance hoses with a 1/2" nut rather than a 3/4".

Hi everyone, nice to meet you all.

I am a cistern collector and from time to time I like to test them.

What I want to know is, is it possible to securely connect a normal sink tap to a cistern's float ball valve without it leaking? So I can turn on the tap and have it act as a water feed to the float ball valve without any leaks from both ends? If there is, what item do I need to do this?

I've tried hose-pipes and PVC bath/shower hoses, but I can never secure them into the float valve inlet properly, they leak and end up bursting when the pressure of the float valve closes in the cistern as it fills up.

My sink tap looks like this:

normalsinktap.jpg

And this is the 1/2" brass float valve I have in the cistern:

floatvalvebrass.jpg

So to sum up, is there a way of securely connecting the above tap and valve together without leakages from either end?

Any help will be most appreciated, thanks for your time.
why do you have to test them ? why not just fill them with a jug ?

You don't think there is more to this than just testing do you? I'm thinking temporary toilet facilities.

Straight 1/2" tap connector with a stub of 15mm copper connected to it, hose warmed up and pushed over the copper held firm with a jubilee clip then run to your tap with a push on rubber tap fitting like you would on a garden hose if you didn't have an outside tap...

It is only for testing purposes though isn't it, temporary toilet facilities would be naughty...

your not irrigating something are yoe?????????

why not cut a valve 't' in cold pipe and connect a braided hose?.

me thinks its not even for a wc cistern, its not the type of valve you would normally use

:iagree: the float valve pictured is a type 1 valve, it is the old type that you can only use as a like for like replacement otherwise you are going against the water regs
but again as already asked - WHY?

Well I shouldn't have to justify why I'm doing it (I did say for testing purposes, not a serious or permanent thing at all). I just came here to politely ask if there was any feasible method of achieving the connection, not to be just criticised and shot down.

Anyway to those who might still want to give advice, I was thinking, will this following method work?

1) On the tap itself, connect a tap to garden hose adaptor:

tapconnector.jpg

2) Use a flexible steel tap connector, on BOTH ends having a 15mm end, one end connects to the cistern's float valve, and maybe the other end just slots onto the tap adaptor? Will it fit onto the end?

Tap-Connector_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the issue is that you are asking for advice on how to connect something to the water supply that is slightly out of the ordinary. there are regulations in place to ensure the water supply does not get contaminated, what you suggest seems worrying.
if you gave more of a description as to why you want it to work perhaps the replies may be closer to what you wanted.
the process of making the connection you want is very simple, the issue is whether you should make it.

the issue is that you are asking for advice on how to connect something to the water supply that is slightly out of the ordinary. there are regulations in place to ensure the water supply does not get contaminated, what you suggest seems worrying.
if you gave more of a description as to why you want it to work perhaps the replies may be closer to what you wanted.
the process of making the connection you want is very simple, the issue is whether you should make it.

Well I did say in my original post I am a cistern collector, and just have a general interest in seeing cisterns work the way they should. That's why I want to connect a water source from a sink tap to the actual float valve instead of just getting a jug and filling the cistern up.

It's just a hobby - nothing serious and will not be used for anyone else nor by anyone else.

there is also a concern with regard water conservation imo, there is serious watershortage in the south east and lincolnshire

hi mate - this is an interesting situation, please forgive my asking, but if youre a cistern collector, would you think it a better idea to tee off from the cold supply to your sink - and run a 15mm copper pipe to a clear area,(clipped to the wall).... isolate it with a stopcock / tap / valve- then atach a flexi compression tap connector to it.....then you can test them whenever you want, keep the facility of 2 taps on your sink etc - the look of your desired tap to cistern scenario makes me think youll get wet, and if youre planning to keep the tap in the open position - your home will get wet / damaged too - if you dont know about plumbing - get a plumber round to have a look - im sure it wont cost that much, i say this to you out of honest politeness mate pls be careful!!!
ps put some pics on, of your cisterns, have you any old / rare? - moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I connect a normal sink tap outlet to a WC cistern 1/2 float valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer...
Replies
Views
Hi all! I'm in the process of fitting a replacement undersink water heater in my shed and, as advised in the instructions (yes, I know, what am I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hey, I've got a leaking toilet and I need to replace the filling valve device which is a Geberit 810.L3 Type 340 with a 1/2" connector. Problem...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock