Discuss fully qualified plumber in two weeks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rest are on the way along with the part P or is that not an electrical qaulification. I presented my case and quite frankly you cant tar every body with the same brush, I take pride in my work and as such am doing ok amongst my peers.Yes, I have made my fair share of mistakes but never to the detriment of my customers.

defined scope,full scope part p is not a qualification.

That is what I am doing and it comes with a qaulification otherwise I wouldnt be doing it if was of no value.

it is only of value if you use it. after spending upwards of £500 on a tester and then join a recognised scheme at upwards of £400 pa to sign off your own work them you will be able to use it to it's full extent.

Agreed steve, but isnt that the whole point of doing the qaulification to sign off your own work. At present I buddy up with a mate who has his part P defined scope.Say as an example a customer requires an electric shower fitting I do the plumbing he does the electrics to the unit. I would like to be competent and qaulified to do the whole fit and commision.

Bob

Why does everyone seem to keep harping on about 'LEVEL 2', this is only a 'base' qualification! All 'Plumbers should endevour to complete 'LEVEL 3' or 'Advanced Craft' as in my old one. Why don't so called 'trainees' do the LEVEL 3? Too hard? Don't want anymore studying? Want to do something a bit quicker and 'easier'? All prof bodies state Level 3 should what all 'PLUMBERS' achieve and I agree, but, as far as I'm concerned you MUST be on the tools whilst doing them to call yourself a PLUMBER. Sorry to sound like a 'gumpy' but I really can't see how you can without both!!!!!!! Wouldn't call yourself a 'car mechanic' if you'd never worked in a garage with other experienced mechanics for a decent period of time, would you? Oh yes Mr Bloggs, were going to service your nice expensive car with a bloke who's done a few weeks training!!!! Yeah alright!!!

nvq level 2 and level 3 in heating and vent - time served with a plumber and kitchen fitter who was gas safe reg - starting a bsc in building studies (construction management) in sept. do i think they have ruined the trade yes but not there fault - most are decent lads trying to get a decent career.

as said before also a qualification doesnt mean your a good tradesman i know alot of guys been in the game for 15+ years and weren't really any good mainly because either a/ they were not interested anymore and b/ they'r dumb

Why does everyone seem to keep harping on about 'LEVEL 2', this is only a 'base' qualification! All 'Plumbers should endevour to complete 'LEVEL 3' or 'Advanced Craft' as in my old one. Why don't so called 'trainees' do the LEVEL 3? Too hard? Don't want anymore studying? Want to do something a bit quicker and 'easier'? All prof bodies state Level 3 should what all 'PLUMBERS' achieve and I agree, but, as far as I'm concerned you MUST be on the tools whilst doing them to call yourself a PLUMBER. Sorry to sound like a 'gumpy' but I really can't see how you can without both!!!!!!! Wouldn't call yourself a 'car mechanic' if you'd never worked in a garage with other experienced mechanics for a decent period of time, would you? Oh yes Mr Bloggs, were going to service your nice expensive car with a bloke who's done a few weeks training!!!! Yeah alright!!!

I don't look at level 2 as being fully qualified, far from it. However it does show that you've a basic qualification. As to being fully qualified - I doubt many are as there are so many avenues to explore within plumbing and you be hard pushed to be qualified in all of them.

I have made my fair share of mistakes but never to the detriment of my customers.

You will undoubtedly have a ceiling down at some time;)

is the Part P relevant in Scotland ?

No, but it still needs signed off.

Agree with this 100%. Level 3 is the minimum recognised qual in Scotland. Think it is more about the money tho hence so many tech cert only "plumbers" who will never be employable:(

as said before also a qualification doesnt mean your a good tradesman i know alot of guys been in the game for 15+ years and weren't really any good mainly because either a/ they were not interested anymore and b/ they'r dumb

If they had been at it for 15+ years you can be sure they "know" more than they let on.
Some guys just need led tho.

As to being fully qualified - I doubt many are as there are so many avenues to explore within plumbing and you be hard pushed to be qualified in all of them.

This is not really correct. It's an age thing.
The time however is undoubtedly coming when the trade will be split into sections like gas. More money for the so called "training" establishments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fully qualified plumber in two weeks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, before I start I appreciate I may be on a hiding to nothing here but here goes. I spent time working as a tradesman with my Dad...
Replies
Views
The new proposed points system has been a hot topic over the past weeks. Especially relevant is what seems to be a total stop to allowing...
Replies
Views
S
Hello everyone, In 2010 I was doing a course in plumbing, I think it was a BTEC in Plumbing level 2. It was a 2 year course which I completed and...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
Hi PlumbersForums. I've been having some issues with my central heating system in a 4 year old new build property for over a year now. I have...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock