Search the forum,

Discuss fully qualified plumber in two weeks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying the centres are dishonest (but some are certainly bending the rules) or that we shouldn't have to do retraining but the ACS stuff is not set up to make sure you can actually do the job but to provide you with the knowledge of the regulations that have to be applied. There are many who come out ACS centres having passed, that you would as Eco said, not allow to fill a gas lighter. Now you are not going to tell me the trainers don't know this too but as they have passed the test, their hands are tied.
If they make it an annual thing then it will surely only cover any changes to the regs. Do you think it would be better to only learn what has changed or run through the lot again?
I think it is better the way it is where at least they may hopefully learn something but it is still not ideal.

My point exactly though tamz, the ACS isnt designed to train you as a gas fitter, so dont blame it for not training people. It is there to ensure your work safe. Its not deemed safe to let somebody pass their gas C&G and then 50 years later still be working without ever having to prove their regulations/safety knowledge or update their knowledge. I pilot or similar would be expected to have safety checks/knowledge updates periodically.

People think that acs is a qual, its not much more than a safety license needed every 5 but maybe soon, year. Centres misuse it as a qual. the thing with the categories is top people doing it without relevant evperience or quals, not to stop people getting into the industry but because it isnt a qual for newbies. its like taking your advanced driving test without passing your test or driving in the first place. Stop using it for newbies, the qual is fine, leave it be, it is what it is, dont misuse it then blame the qual, blame the centres and people who abuse it

agree with lots of you, but fuzzy is right, acs is fine, but a minority of centres (just like everything else in life) are passing people who maybe they shouldn't! Lets not forget though, everyone registering on gs gets a personal visit/inspection from local inspector and is tested again.
One other point, most of you' like me are....plumbers, not 'gas engineers'. Gas engineers have done a 4 year apprenticeship with bg or similar and they are 'gas engineers', most on here are 'plumbers' with some knowledge of gas. Lets not forget, it's the gas engineers/companies/organisations that 'set-up' the acs, update the acs and set the criteria for us to pass.
Also, gs have been emailing all reg'd gas persons regarding 'input', feedback' and running workshops around the country for your views! Like the vote, if you don't use it don't winge later!!!!!!!

another good point, gas engineer or plumber who does gas, alot differnt in my experience, horses for courses. if it wernt for boilers most plumbers wouldnt do acs

I mainly do bathrooms and wetrooms and rarely do boilers, but I did my acs. Would think twice about doing it again if I had to do it every year.

Yes

I do think they are damaging to the industry for the wrong people. If your a person who has very little practical experiance in anything, these courses are lethal.

If for example your in the building trade already and you want to add to your repetoir of skills for doing the odd bits and pieces then this can be of help.

I also believe that anyone who decides that they are going to train as an architect should have a couple of years experiance of being a plumber/heating engineer, my reason for saying for this is having spent many years doing installations is architects are great at giving the customer what they want but little practical experiance in how we have to implement the design

I mainly do bathrooms and wetrooms and rarely do boilers, but I did my acs. Would think twice about doing it again if I had to do it every year.

as i keep saying, if its every year it just ONE DAY NOT not the same as now

Yes

I do think they are damaging to the industry for the wrong people. If your a person who has very little practical experiance in anything, these courses are lethal.

If for example your in the building trade already and you want to add to your repetoir of skills for doing the odd bits and pieces then this can be of help.

I also believe that anyone who decides that they are going to train as an architect should have a couple of years experiance of being a plumber/heating engineer, my reason for saying for this is having spent many years doing installations is architects are great at giving the customer what they want but little practical experiance in how we have to implement the design

often not there problem though, do thye also need to be structural engineer, steel worker, glazer, brickie etc etc

do you mean that we are going to have to train for ACS every year now instead of 5 years ?

The government are doing that at the moment with truck drivers, they now have to sit a CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) it's 35 hours of extra training every five years or you can do it at 1 day per year to total 35 hours, sounds like a similar thing with the ACS.

ACS isnt there to train you as a gas fitter, just a competence safetty check , not for newbies

ACS isnt there to train you as a gas fitter, just a competence safetty check , not for newbies
That's so true, but I suspect that some centres take on newbies at face value of their "experience".

times change the apprentice route has almost disappeared but a lot has to be said of the individual some folk will pay 5 - 8 grand and will be useless one will get a job at a young age and be very good, get paid very little, but be very good.
qualification numbers mean nothing if the person is even good.
You do not even need a qualification to fit a bathroom or a kitchen sink or an outside tap
What you do need is customers
Now where is the fast track or apprenticeship in that

not in scotland, the apprenticeship is essential as level 3 is the minimum required up here

times change the apprentice route has almost disappeared but a lot has to be said of the individual some folk will pay 5 - 8 grand and will be useless one will get a job at a young age and be very good, get paid very little, but be very good.
You do not even need a qualification to fit a bathroom or a kitchen sink or an outside tap

i beg to differ, qualification are needed for the above.....!

apprenticeship route has definitely not disapeared, its alive, kicking and very healthy, it is here to stay. saying this is misleading

Yes
I started in 1978 a full apprenticeship and got C&G advanced craft in Plumbing.

Working yesterday with my new apprentice, and just before we turned the water back on I said "have you double checked all your fittings are soldered or tightened" ......... Yes he replied, so I got him to turn on the water, we got a leak............... a compression nut I forgot to tighten!

He got the blame though........ I said he should have checked mine too. :)

Ha Ha like it.

Oh by the way did mine in 1978 full apprenticeship and got C&G advanced, we also did leadwork and glazing was part of the job to, i worked for my firm for 5 years then bit the bullet and went self employed, still learning till this day things have changed in a huge way new products etc.

So my answer is it takes a dam sight longer than 2 weeks or even 2 years to be let loose on peoples houses, i blame the goverment, also standards are low workmanship etc, my theory is simple, when i complete a job i would be happy to show anybody it, and put my name to it, maybe i have been lucky but in 28 years of been self employed i have always got paid, its not just the work you carry out but its also the way you treat customers, like turn up when you say you are, dust sheets, politness to customers and treating there propery with respect, leave job as if you hadnt been there by hoovering up etc, its all common sense really, or am i old fashioned but that how my boss taught me.

Oh by the way did mine in 1978 full apprenticeship and got C&G advanced, we also did leadwork and glazing was part of the job to, i worked for my firm for 5 years then bit the bullet and went self employed, still learning till this day things have changed in a huge way new products etc.

So my answer is it takes a dam sight longer than 2 weeks or even 2 years to be let loose on peoples houses, i blame the goverment, also standards are low workmanship etc, my theory is simple, when i complete a job i would be happy to show anybody it, and put my name to it, maybe i have been lucky but in 28 years of been self employed i have always got paid, its not just the work you carry out but its also the way you treat customers, like turn up when you say you are, dust sheets, politness to customers and treating there propery with respect, leave job as if you hadnt been there by hoovering up etc, its all common sense really, or am i old fashioned but that how my boss taught me.

agree completely with you mate, its down to common sense really a persons home is there HOME and you are a stranger, so should treat it with respect and they will respect you. I honestly hate it when I've had work done in my house and come home to find a mess i.e the sky man ! i would never leave a job in a mess

bang on the button yorkie, always said to apprentices, imagine you put your car in for a service (young peoples pride and joy + very expensive!) and the mechanic left grease on the upholstery, scratch marks on dash, dirty fingerprints on bonnet, and dirt all over floor but still asked for top dollar and said 'what's the problem mate?' Now magnify that 20/30 times and you get why people are so 'fussy' about their homes!
BTW I've just had a plasterer in and picked him cos i've seen how tidy he is at others houses!!

Yes, tidying up after yourself is common courtesy and not an extra. When working in peoples homes, I always try to leave the house in the same condition as when I came in and do this every day on longer jobs too.
I've even started using a wet vac in loos and cracked open fittings so as not to accidentally spill water when stripping them out, overkill I know but I've not had one single mark on a ceiling since!

Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

This clean and tidy behaviour and treating the customers as I'd like to be treated is the most important part of my job. Sometimes if I clean up the area I've been working in and it's cleaner than the rest of the floor, I'll tidy up the whole room. If I repair a loo, I usually clean the whole item and chuck some loo cleaner down as well. Dust sheet down over their door mat if it's raining. I find things like this make all the difference.

I let down a customer recently. It was a job that I'd started before Christmas and never went back to finish. I got a phone call about 3 weeks ago and said I'd turn up the following week ... and didn't. Anyway, last week I did turn up with HUGE apologies and told them I was embarrassed by my inaction (which I was). Unfortunately I'd been let down by a supplier and this made things worse.

When I turned up though, I walked in with a small pot plant in each hand. They told me there was no need and I said I knew there was no need but I'd let them down badly.

A couple of hours later I'd finished the job.

They asked me to return this week with another job lasting a day. (They'd asked another plumber and he hadn't returned).

And in the summer there may well be a £3,000 heating upgrade to do.

My diagnosis of problems might not be good (fast tracker) but I don't think I've installed anything incorrectly and I know another (more experienced) plumber who helps out from time to time (he helps me, I help him). Both of us are clean and tidy and have spent the last 3 years picking up all sorts of jobs from the regular plumbers in the area.

all training funding is going into apprenticeships so why would you say the apprenticeship route is dead unless you are scaremongering or ignorant

they'll be banning fast track courses soon, just a matter of time really

Now that we're saving a "whopping" great one pence off the price of fuel, we'll all be able to afford fast track courses. Next week I'm going to be a neuro surgeon, then the week after.....

With the new apprenticeship places announced today neuro surgery just might be on the list but MacDonald s and Tesco's might snap them all up quickly!

Filled the van up today and it took £109.20! 137.9 a litre. Actually looked under it to check it wasn't running out.

£137.9 a litre is shocking and the motorway services are even dearer. When you think that we're the biggest oil producing nation in Europe too! Going to try and see if I can get the motor to run on Boss White....

£1.379 a litre? You lucky thing! It's £142.9 to £146.9 round here.

it was 88p in 2009, why the sudden hike ? its all tax to try and get us out of this resession its about 70% tax

Price of oil is the main reason for the rise. Same as most commodities (e.g. copper, cotton, cocoa)

i know, and thats why most of it is tax ! the government is in debt, so they raise VAT and taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fully qualified plumber in two weeks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock