Discuss What make of Direct Unvented Cylinder, and what size? in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Fitted a few Telford Tempest, they're OK. Get decent control set with them and a Honeywell Zone valve on the indirect.

Had two leak from new though, and one fail after 3 years. Warranty was honoured, and replacement cylinder within a week but they wouldn't cover the cost of labour to replace, Maria on the customer services is interesting to deal with. Had two others fail but tbh they'd been fitted by other installers and weren't fitted correctly so can't really blame Telford for them...

They do some nice sizes, like the 200l is short and fat compared to others.

Would I have one in my own house? Well my Dad does but I'd have a MegaFlo personally.

Fitted a Kingspan recently that was supplied by customer and that seemed pretty decent.

are they the esi ones?

ESI valves on the Telford Tempest? No you get Honeywell. One of my reasons for sticking with them as a budget cylinder.

Honeywell on Kingspan too.

sorry was thinking of a tribune dont ever install esi valves there rubbish

Fitted a few Telford Tempest, they're OK. Get decent control set with them and a Honeywell Zone valve on the indirect.

Had two leak from new though, and one fail after 3 years. Warranty was honoured, and replacement cylinder within a week but they wouldn't cover the cost of labour to replace, Maria on the customer services is interesting to deal with. Had two others fail but tbh they'd been fitted by other installers and weren't fitted correctly so can't really blame Telford for them...

They do some nice sizes, like the 200l is short and fat compared to others.

Would I have one in my own house? Well my Dad does but I'd have a MegaFlo personally.

Fitted a Kingspan recently that was supplied by customer and that seemed pretty decent.
Yes a bit concerned by Telfords leaks that Ive heard about, coupled with a few poor online customer service reviews.
It's a shame because the 200L short would be a perfect physical fit.

"Maria on the customer services is interesting to deal with." Ha. you in politics too PorkChop?

Im hoping to go with the Joule 200L short, if it will fit (600 by 1150cm). I have also been impressed with their phone support when I've called with technical questions their staff answered immediately and were very helpful.
(MAIN on the other hand, left me on hold for 20min before I gave up.)

Joule also offer the option of Titanium immersion, is this something worth considering? Since I don't have space for a softener and live in East London, which is considered pretty hard water.

Thanks for all your continued invaluable help and expertise.
[automerge]1601033097[/automerge]
Long question short: Will the Joule short fit in my boiler cupboard?

Joule SHORT 200L with external expansion vessel:
Joule Direct Cyclone Hot Water Cylinder 200L Short Boiler - https://electricaldealsdirect.co.uk/direct-cyclone-200l-short.html
The Short is only 1150 tall and 60cm wide.

This would make great use of the limited space we have. However it is a tight fit.

I think it will just about fit, and my plumber thinks maybe, but before I order it I was hoping to get your expert opinions. Thank you again for your help.

Please let me know if the Joule Short is a viable option. Thanks

fyi here is Joules brochure with dimensions in full (relevant details can be found on page 35):
https://electricaldealsdirect.co.uk/media/pdfs/Cyclone_Air_Brochure.pdf

CUPBOARD details and photos:
Our cupboard is 70cm wide with an extra alcove space on the right(where the plunger is in photo) that is 15cm wide and 20cm deep.
Cupboard depth is 61cm, with an extra 3cm of empty space (at the front) in the unused doorjam.

*Obvioulsy this does not take into account pipework. Some of which I see running down the back of the current cylinder and from there into the bathroom (to the left). I presume they are mains cold and immersion hot. I have included photos of these.

Boiler cupboard
cylinder.jpeg

WIDTH: 70cm +15cm alcove
Boiler cupboard left to right 70cm + 5cm alcove at front.jpeg

DEPTH 61cm
Boiler cupboard front to back 61cm.jpeg

Doorjam 3cm
Door Jam clearance 3cm.jpeg

Right side of cupboard (mains come in from this side)
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-21 at 16.00.34.jpeg

Rear of right side
cylinder right hand side.jpeg

Top left of cylinder
cylinder top left.jpeg

Rear top left of cylinder, looking down
cylinder REAR top left looking down.jpeg

Pipework at rear of cylinder (looking from right to left)
cylinder rear pipes low from right to left.jpeg

Size of pipes at rear of cylinder
boiler rear pipes clearance.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes a bit concerned by Telfords leaks that Ive heard about, coupled with a few poor online customer service reviews.
It's a shame because the 200L short would be a perfect physical fit.

"Maria on the customer services is interesting to deal with." Ha. you in politics too PorkChop?

Im hoping to go with the Joule 200L short, if it will fit (600 by 1150cm). I have also been impressed with their phone support when I've called with technical questions their staff answered immediately and were very helpful.
(MAIN on the other hand, left me on hold for 20min before I gave up.)

Joule also offer the option of Titanium immersion, is this something worth considering? Since I don't have space for a softener and live in East London, which is considered pretty hard water.

Thanks for all your continued invaluable help and expertise.
[automerge]1601033097[/automerge]
Long question short: Will the Joule short fit in my boiler cupboard?

Joule SHORT 200L with external expansion vessel:
Joule Direct Cyclone Hot Water Cylinder 200L Short Boiler - https://electricaldealsdirect.co.uk/direct-cyclone-200l-short.html
The Short is only 1150 tall and 60cm wide.

This would make great use of the limited space we have. However it is a tight fit.

I think it will just about fit, and my plumber thinks maybe, but before I order it I was hoping to get your expert opinions. Thank you again for your help.

Please let me know if the Joule Short is a viable option. Thanks

fyi here is Joules brochure with dimensions in full (relevant details can be found on page 35):
https://electricaldealsdirect.co.uk/media/pdfs/Cyclone_Air_Brochure.pdf

CUPBOARD details and photos:
Our cupboard is 70cm wide with an extra alcove space on the right(where the plunger is in photo) that is 15cm wide and 20cm deep.
Cupboard depth is 61cm, with an extra 3cm of empty space (at the front) in the unused doorjam.

*Obvioulsy this does not take into account pipework. Some of which I see running down the back of the current cylinder and from there into the bathroom (to the left). I presume they are mains cold and immersion hot. I have included photos of these.

Boiler cupboard
View attachment 45506

WIDTH: 70cm +15cm alcove
View attachment 45499

DEPTH 61cm
View attachment 45500

Doorjam 3cm
View attachment 45501

Right side of cupboard (mains come in from this side)
View attachment 45508

Rear of right side
View attachment 45502

Top left of cylinder
View attachment 45504

Rear top left of cylinder, looking down
View attachment 45503

Pipework at rear of cylinder (looking from right to left)
View attachment 45505

Size of pipes at rear of cylinder
View attachment 45507
Have you considered the room you'll need for the expansion vessel? As at 200L it'll be a fairly big expansion.

Reply to What make of Direct Unvented Cylinder, and what size? in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock