Currently reading:
Freebie alert - Aladdin Easifit Emergency Isolator & toolkit - Sponsored thread.

Discuss Freebie alert - Aladdin Easifit Emergency Isolator & toolkit - Sponsored thread. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray Stafford

Please see this youtube video for a demonstration of the Aladdin Easifit isolator, or visit their website here.

Its a 15mm lever valve that you can fit to a live pipe, without draining, freezing, bunging or soaking yourself in water. Ideal for namby-pamby plumbers who don't fancy doing a cold mains live, or cutting into a murky heating pipe over a white carpet. :)

It fits 15mm copper, Hep, Polyplumb, speedfit etc, and leaves you with a permanent full-bore lever valve in place.

At just under £30 + vat they aren't cheap - but on the other hand, neither is hours of labour draining and refilling, and freezing isn't always feasible particularly if there is any flow. We are including the toolkit in the freebie.

I have 5 to give away for review. The first 1 goes to Rodolphe for drawing my attention to it at Phex, and the 2nd goes to Bod - I can't remember why, but I have a note that Bod deserves one for some reason. The other three will go to the first three plumbers arms members who PM me their postal address.* Other members - sorry, but if you are a professional plumber, build a good post-count, and apply to get into the arms!

A big thanks to John at NLB Engineering for providing the freebies.

As always, its a condition of the freebie that you promise to come back on the site and post a review. There is a sticky thread for the purpose. The review does not have to be positive, but if you have criticisms please keep them polite and constructive! Sensible feedback (even if its negative) encourages manufacturers to provide the freebies to keep these giveaways going.

Cheers

Ray

*Members ineligible for freebies until they review the Calshot or IntaKlean freebies are: APPlumbing, Croppie, kay-jay, Mike Jackson, JCPLumb, Anz, Stani, Redsaw, Orry Clayton, Destroyer2813, Stevetheplumber.

Will it work on an imperial pipe? Don't remember seeing it stated whether you can or not.

I think so. half inch is so close a match to 15mm I think it must. I would imagine the 22mm one (when it comes out) will have a big notice saying it doesn't work for imperial pipe work. (Just like a pushfit doesn't).

Think it's just Ray's firm at the moment.

I expect they'll catch on, it's a piece of genius in my humble opinion!

It crushes it, and pushes it to the back of the valve. (That's the clever bit in my opinion).

Weird blade on the cutter. Not toothed as they don't want it to produce any swarf. Must say I'm impressed.

i still dont get it?.

i want to see a schematic!

4564138211_350x354.jpg

Looks like it pushes the cut-out piece of pipe down into a recess within the valve housing. I presume it's 'crushed' in such a way that it can't come free and start bouncing around disrupting the flow of water.

Edit: Actually, after looking at the pic it seems the scrap piece of pipe is forever sealed in its own tomb.

Aladdin EasyFit Isolator - Official website

2nd Edit:

What happens to the pipe when installing the Aladdin EasyFit Isolator?

The Aladdin EasyFit Isolator cutter plug has a blade attached to the base which slices through the pipe. The blade has no teeth, instead it is scalloped in order to avoid swarf. The copper or plastic pipe slug is simply compressed into a sealed void at the bottom of the housing.
easy.jpg

Last edited:
This is what it looks like when you buy it. (I've taken all my photos off the phone for my van thread!!)

IMG_3476.jpg

What the hell have you done to your thumb?

You know I was giving someone advice earlier that in domestic plumbing you should never have to graunch something with all your might?

Well I should take my own advice.

Repaired a boiler. Which had a faulty divertor motor due to the leaking heat exchanger above it.

So I change the divertor, and set about fixing the leak. I tighten the nut on the heat ex'. Still dripping. So I tighten it hard, the spanner slips, and crushes my thumb against the heat ex'.....I swear. A lot.

All this was being done in the pitch dark, as the customer has a key card electricity meter, which had run out in between me diagnosing the fault and returning with the part. So I had to pop back the next day to check the repair had worked!! LOL.

So I'm blaming the dark.

As a helpful hint for everyone else. The rubber washer that I was tightening the nut on to had gone bullet hard, so no amount of graunching with the spanner was going to stop the leak. In the end, I isolated and drained the boiler and replaced the washer. Took about 10 mins. Had I done that in the first place, I would still have a thumb nail!

You live and you learn!! :)

You know I was giving someone advice earlier that in domestic plumbing you should never have to graunch something with all your might?

Well I should take my own advice.

Repaired a boiler. Which had a faulty divertor motor due to the leaking heat exchanger above it.

So I change the divertor, and set about fixing the leak. I tighten the nut on the heat ex'. Still dripping. So I tighten it hard, the spanner slips, and crushes my thumb against the heat ex'.....I swear. A lot.

All this was being done in the pitch dark, as the customer has a key card electricity meter, which had run out in between me diagnosing the fault and returning with the part. So I had to pop back the next day to check the repair had worked!! LOL.

So I'm blaming the dark.

As a helpful hint for everyone else. The rubber washer that I was tightening the nut on to had gone bullet hard, so no amount of graunching with the spanner was going to stop the leak. In the end, I isolated and drained the boiler and replaced the washer. Took about 10 mins. Had I done that in the first place, I would still have a thumb nail!

You live and you learn!! :)
I'm not even gonna read that, he asked what happened to your thumb, not recite 'Only as Life' by Nikhil Parekh! ;)

Last edited:
What can i say, I'm a man of many words. And I type very fast.

You should see me send a text message. I had no idea until the lads at work last week said "how the hell do you do that!!?!"

Used the valve today. I didn't take any photos of it installed as I just wanted to get done and get off!

Its really easy to use. I actually cut it in, then isolated the dripping outlet, which meant I could freeze the pipe work. Which I did, I then removed the valve and stuck a pushfit lever arm valve it.

I did it so I can keep the alladin valve for any emergencies I may need it for. (so it's gone back in the van).

My Freeze Master freezes 15mm in about 10mins so it was worth doing.

If they can just get the cost down, I wouldn't be such a tightwad. I can understand why they are expensive though. They're genius!

Thanks Danny. I don't think they are designed to be re-used. What sort of shape was the cutter head and seals in after you removed it?

No, they're not designed to be removed, I know but I just couldn't leave it there when it had done the task and I cold quickly freeze it!!

The cutter is really weird. It's almost a flat disc, with one or two razor sharp teeth. They were still very sharp. The seals were all good too.

I wouldn't have any hesitation it using it again. Next time I'd leave it in as I'd got two uses out of it.

I will keep one on board now always. I'll also purchase a 22mm one when they come out. It's one of those items that might sit there for a year, but when it gets used it will pay for itself easily and make my life easier. For me that makes it a new essential item.

Finally got an excuse to use this piece of kit so I'll try and get a review up later today. Having another watch of the video before I go out though...

Quick update from Aladdin - their valve is now WRAS approved as a stopcock replacement.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Freebie alert - Aladdin Easifit Emergency Isolator & toolkit - Sponsored thread. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back