Search the forum,

Discuss Effing Builders in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
So I diagnose to replace a toilet lever type siphon last week, saw 4 screws on the tiled boxing around the concealed cistern - thumbs up, access is easy!

Go to do the job today, take the screws out and instead of the tiles and ply coming away, I found the builders just put 4 screws in the tikes to make it look like an access panel!!

30 min job turned into and hour and a half.. Had to cut off the handle and saw some of the too access panel as they'd made it so thin I couldn't get the dudley turbo through it lol

Why do builders not create decent access for maintenance [emoji35] a-holes!

Is a toilet siphon ever a 30 min job?

I've certainly had the cistern back non and flushing in 30 mins only to receive the cistern bolt dripping kick in the balls I so badly need at 7pm.

I've certainly had the cistern back non and flushing in 30 mins only to receive the cistern bolt dripping kick in the balls I so badly need at 7pm.

Yep done one in under 20 easy when you fit quality parts

Last year I had to remove a screwed on panel in a tiled bath panel to get at the bath taps pipes.
Customer said it just needed the 4 screws removed.
Turned out he had been conned, - entire panel all one piece solid plywood with 4 bluff screws.
Funny, it was also done by a builder

A dudley turbo/3 part metro is a 5 minute job.

If you

a) make sure to clean with an abrasvie strip the well on the pan where the doughnut will sit and then clean again with blue/bog roll

b) clean with abrasvie strip inside cistern and blue/bog roll where the inlet/syphon/blank/through bolt washer will sit.

c) put a blob of LS-X round the inlet/syphone/blank/through bolt washer

d) use only foam doughnuts

e) do not over-tighten the c/c bolts

There will never be a dripping bolt just as you're leaving.

A dudley turbo/3 part metro is a 5 minute job.

If you

a) make sure to clean with an abrasvie strip the well on the pan where the doughnut will sit and then clean again with blue/bog roll

b) clean with abrasvie strip inside cistern and blue/bog roll where the inlet/syphon/blank/through bolt washer will sit.

c) put a blob of LS-X round the inlet/syphone/blank/through bolt washer

d) use only foam doughnuts

e) do not over-tighten the c/c bolts

There will never be a dripping bolt just as you're leaving.

All right but part c :nono:

Now and then you get niggles/uneven bits of surface inside cistern or the WC has been installed too far back, forcing the cistern off level/the shape in the well of the pan encourages doughnut to slip. In those cases a blob of LS-X gets you done first time rather than fifth.

Because I value my time I therefore use it every time to be safe. Only a tiny bit, not enough to spread the rubber washers for instance. It's pretty easy to remove in future, more so than silicone which is a ****

Plus when you go see a WC that is leaking via the inlet/syphon/blank/through bolt washer you can bet it was put in on a niggley/uneven bit and lasted for a while and then leaked. Bit like olives leaking on a compression joint that was fine for years but suddenly decided to weep.

As you undo it do you ask yourself will there be any PTFE or paste? No because you know there won't be. I think this is the bog equivalent.

Most annoying part of the job was dropping my phone into the cistern and standing on my glasses!! I now look like Jack Duckworth from coronation street and I had to fork out for a new phone last night - note to self: get yourself a torch and don't use the one on your phone

I have lovely head torch which I stupidly leave in the van for just about every quote/quick look so end up having to use my phone.

Once the job starts though I do go and get it rather than risk it.

I have lovely head torch which I stupidly leave in the van for just about every quote/quick look so end up having to use my phone.

Once the job starts though I do go and get it rather than risk it.
I've got one too, bought it, put it in my toolbag where it generally stays lol

Most annoying part of the job was dropping my phone into the cistern and standing on my glasses!! I now look like Jack Duckworth from coronation street and I had to fork out for a new phone last night - note to self: get yourself a torch and don't use the one on your phone

Or get a waterproof case :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Effing Builders in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a concealed cistern in a 20 year-old house. It is the old syphon type, and over the last couple of months it has started to have an intermittent problem. It seems like the siphon washer/diaphragm is failing, and sometimes it's hard to get the siphon to start, and it takes repeated...
Replies
Views
Need to replace this shower. House is being sold in a few months so Cust wants minimum disruption to tiles. There is a towel cupboard behind the shower with a shelf that I'm going to have to cut out to access the shower. There is a panel covering the pipework for the head that I can remove...
Replies
Views
T
I have concealed toilet cistern which has flush handle that goes through the inspection panel (my poor design). Because the spindle has to be fixed inside because of the lever arm I have to break the tiled inspection panel each time I need to inspect. My question is: is it possible to obtain a...
Replies
Views
The Shadowman
T
M
Hi Would love some advice please. I cannot for the life of me see how I can get the tap handle off in order to fit a new cartridge. The handle is pulled down a 1/4 turn by pulling on a thin lever in order to get the water flowing. On this make the levers are embedded in the handle (its from...
Replies
Views
S
I'm fitting a new bathroom, and the toilet will have a concealed cistern. I've built up a timber frame for the cistern to sit in and I'm trying to figure out the order to do things. The Plan: 1) Fit the toilet and make sure it works without leaks. 2) Remove toilet 3) Cut holes in tile...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock