Discuss Duel gas boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 31499 On with one right now.
Looks very good, first class. Did you design and specify the installation ?, is it fully automatic pre programmed to switch between boilers say every other week ?, or to be done manual. I think this is the way we move on.
My first condensing boiler broke down between Christmas and the new year, my heating engineer was already fully booked, he could not even give me a date when he was able to replace it, as I remember it was the year when even condensation pipes were freezing up. Electric heaters are ok for say 1 to 2 days but not for weeks if the residents are elderly, they may not be able to afford the additional expense. I have found gas is the cheapest of all central heating fuel types that I have tried.
I must admit I expected more heating engineers to be installing duel gas boilers, especially in larger dwellings.
Can I just thank everyone who took the time to respond.

They will be all working at the same time and combining the outputs

And space and cost limits you be looking around 6k to swap a set a boiler, and who says it's not a design fault that breaks them like you have said external condense pipe

Many of the above already have multiple boilers, where there is a single boiler, temp space heating or convention heating is very simple to set up. I carry 6KW of electric heating which i hand out if the boiler is going to be off. Offices often have a/c for summer, these can often be used in heat mode. From my experience not really an issue that cannot be resolved quickly.
Hi I remember my younger days when we had ducted heating/ air conditioning ventilation system installed in an office complex my developer/employer had built. The summer months the system was great, no complaints, but when the winter arrived, the women were not very happy, a regular comment was its all right for the men they where trousers. The temperature difference from floor to ceiling was just to much. The heating engineers had strung cords from floor to ceiling in most offices with thermometers strung at intervals, they tried for months to balance the system, to be honest I do not think ever sorted it. As we all know offices have to reach a minimum temperature to comply with regulations.
I like the way you look after your customers by providing them with electric heaters, that's very thought full of you.

The combined load for the property is the total output of the boilers combined. Hot water, space heating and swimming pool.
In fact tthis set up is 20kw shy of the building load. Because, when the pool is up to temperature, it only takes 20% of the output to heat it from cold. Same with the underfloor heating (1000m2 of the stuff!) .
This system has a cascade controller to bring on one, two or three boilers depending on load. It also cycles the lead boiler, so they all share the load.

Reasons for using multiple boilers.
1. Built in redundancy. If one breaks down, the other two will at a push, run th whole system.
2. Cost it's cheaper to get three smaller boilers, than one, or two larger ones.
3. Servicing. All parts are stocked at merchants and any local gas safe service guy can do them.
4. Fluing. Large commercial boilers have large flues. Smaller boilers are less obtrusive.

Back to the original post.
Generally it's not financial sense to have a spare. You can't see the whole plant room in the pic . But there is over £20,0000 worth of equipment in there. Never mind fitting it and having a room to get it all in.

The combined load for the property is the total output of the boilers combined. Hot water, space heating and swimming pool.
In fact tthis set up is 20kw shy of the building load. Because, when the pool is up to temperature, it only takes 20% of the output to heat it from cold. Same with the underfloor heating (1000m2 of the stuff!) .
This system has a cascade controller to bring on one, two or three boilers depending on load. It also cycles the lead boiler, so they all share the load.

Reasons for using multiple boilers.
1. Built in redundancy. If one breaks down, the other two will at a push, run th whole system.
2. Cost it's cheaper to get three smaller boilers, than one, or two larger ones.
3. Servicing. All parts are stocked at merchants and any local gas safe service guy can do them.
4. Fluing. Large commercial boilers have large flues. Smaller boilers are less obtrusive.

Back to the original post.
Generally it's not financial sense to have a spare. You can't see the whole plant room in the pic . But there is over £20,0000 worth of equipment in there. Never mind fitting it and having a room to get it all in.
Very impressed

I was asked recently if it would be better to fit two boilers instead of one. Was a large house circa 60KW, certainly i could have done it but the space requirements would have meant he would have lost a good part of his utility room. Having a spare boiler with 100% spare capacity cannot cost in economically. If on the off chance it does break down, where i am, heating engs prioritise breakdowns for the vulnerable and running electric heating for a few weeks is peanuts compared to a dual boiler set up.

Thermal store with immersion backup could be used to provide selective or background heating in no-boiler situation. Often thought of doing this for my own place.

I was asked recently if it would be better to fit two boilers instead of one.

My view is that failure of the electricity supply is the risk that needs mitigating first. If the leccy goes off not only does the CH stop working but you can't use electricity to keep warm. :(

Those who experienced the power cuts in the winter of discontent (78/79) rapidly discovered that going to bed early was pretty much the only good thing to do. A lot of babies were born 9 months later as a result... :)

Last time I looked at battery backup supplies suitable for CH they were based on lead-acid accummulators and I decided to buy some warm clothes instead. Since then, boilers have become a lot more energy efficient and batteries are now lithium tech, perhaps it's time to look again.

A small petrol generator would be cheaper, but I hate the noise the things make.

I was asked recently if it would be better to fit two boilers instead of one. Was a large house circa 60KW, certainly i could have done it but the space requirements would have meant he would have lost a good part of his utility room. Having a spare boiler with 100% spare capacity cannot cost in economically. If on the off chance it does break down, where i am, heating engs prioritise breakdowns for the vulnerable and running electric heating for a few weeks is peanuts compared to a dual boiler set up.

Hi I must admit I like my home comforts, modern day living is far better than it used to be ( hot baths when ever you want one). If you follow Chalked approach to the problem by fitting two boilers say 13kw instead of a 26kw running in tandem may be more cost effective instead of two 26kw ( you would then not have 100% over capacity). You would always have heat and hot water if one broke down. I have never costed the use of emersion heaters, if you have one fitted that is, to provide water for hot baths, again it should not be too expensive probably only a few pence or peanuts as you said per bath.
I would be prepared if I have the room to pay that little bit extra for a duel boiler installation knowing that if the worst happens I have it sorted, I will never forget when our gas boiler broke down over Christmas.
I think at times its better living in a Council house, its then up to somebody else to sort out.
What we always have to remember is everybody's circumstances are not always the same, what is easy for one to deal with can be difficult for another. The elderly are the most vulnerable, its been known that some people take advantage of that, we should all help them when possible.
Boy scouts motto be prepared !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Duel gas boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock