Search the forum,

Discuss Drumming up more business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

md68

Hi all

I’ve been trying to think up ways to drum up a little bit of extra business & I was wondering if any of you guys had ever tried out anything like this.

The idea I have come up with is to offer a free plumbing inspection (in preparation for winter).

My reasons for this are three fold

1, Most houses that you visit there is generally something that needs looking at either with a view to repairing or replacing.

2, It gives you a chance to meet the customer and form trusted relationship with them.

3, It gets there name and address on to the database for the direct mail campaign that I run throughout the year.

I would welcome your thoughts & ideas.

Not a bad idea I just think that the untrusting public will see it as a way of getting in the door.
I am just as sceptical with the likes of Kwik Fit and thier 'free winter check'.....You just know they are going to find something.

Graham

along a similar line, kwik fit have offered a free winter safety check on your car, absolutely free they will check and report on your brakes, exhaust windscreen fluid rtc, how many times have you been for the free check? i have known about it for years and never go as i think they will end up quoting me for work that i'm not sure even needs done, i may be wrong but i think it will be seen as a bit of a scam (not very fair to be honest, as long as you give a fair report on what you find), but the customers still dont want you telling them they need to spend money

Hi Get on the knocker, in the type of streets that hold the most potential. You will be surprised at the response. Saturdays and Sunday mornings are the best times. Good Luck

We have never done this but I cannot see it being a waste of time.

Getting your offer 'out there' could be a bit tricky. I would leaflet
the idea and then you can miss out the none starters in terms of
how the house looks rental homes or scruffy avoid.

See if your local paper will run it as an innovative idea showcased by
the paper.

But...beware of cowboy customers....the tv is full of cowboy tradesmen
I worry about cowboy customers...general advertising will bring in all sorts of business..some the sort you certainly will not want. We have been at it almost 30 year now, we do not advertise but go by word of mouth and reccomendation that way we have few customer probs..they all come with a pedigree.

Most of the established lot on this site will operate in this way, good jobs generate more jobs from friends,neighbours, relatives, work colleagues
and when the phone rings we always ask where they got our no from.

if you startin out, Go for it and let us all know how it worked out

centralheatking

dont mention kwik fit i went there because my exhaust snapped on my fiat doblo just before the c.a.t they quoted me £440.00 for new exhaust went to a local garage got a quote £220.00 had it welded instead £40.00 kwik fit are a rip off

hi get on the knocker, in the type of streets that hold the most potential. You will be surprised at the response. Saturdays and sunday mornings are the best times. Good luck
door to door sales!!, tried that one once for 'eon' lasted one day, not for me unless things get that bad and i have to beg for a slice of bread and a hot drink, otherwise i am in the wrong trade:(

is business slow?

No & that's the point. I won't to make sure that I continue to stay busy & not turn into one of thoes moaners who hang around the merchants drinking the free coffee:D

Are you not using the internet?

I do online marketing for local businesses and I find it crazy you guys aren't taking advantage of Google being the new digital Yellow pages,.

Yellow pages is dying, people used to place an ad and that was it, the phone would ring. If you want to avoid drinking free coffee you can take advantage of the fact there were almost half a million people last month looking for a plumber in the Uk on Google.

You got a website? You getting traffic? you capturing peoples details? you building a relationship with them?

If you want to survive long term you need to be known as dave the plumber, not just "a" plumber.

"Don't find a customer to make a sale, make a sale to find a customer".

Get a customer retention strategy and use the internet and you'll have so much work you'll hate the fact that you ever read this post because you'll be swamped.

Most local businesses aren't doing this, not just plumbers.

GL

I don't agree that the internet is such a powerful advertising medium but I do agree it shouldn't be ignored.

I get most of my unrecommended work from my website but in one man band type trades, I'd suggest that recommendation is the most successful important source for new customers and after that Yellow Pages and local magazines and newspapers (not that I use any of these). After these media, I'm sure most people then turn to Tinternet.

Also, have you ever tried searching for and buying a car via the internet when you're not really sure what you want? When I looked for my van it was the most maddening experience I've suffered in many years! I ended up using Yellow Pages!

Are you not using the internet?

I do online marketing for local businesses and I find it crazy you guys aren't taking advantage of Google being the new digital Yellow pages,.

Yellow pages is dying, people used to place an ad and that was it, the phone would ring. If you want to avoid drinking free coffee you can take advantage of the fact there were almost half a million people last month looking for a plumber in the Uk on Google.

You got a website? You getting traffic? you capturing peoples details? you building a relationship with them?

If you want to survive long term you need to be known as dave the plumber, not just "a" plumber.

"Don't find a customer to make a sale, make a sale to find a customer".

Get a customer retention strategy and use the internet and you'll have so much work you'll hate the fact that you ever read this post because you'll be swamped.

Most local businesses aren't doing this, not just plumbers.

GL

I agree that the internet is a valuable tool these days and yes I do use it along with the BNI, Local press, Leaflets, Thomson Local, Check a Trade, Trading standards, Paid refferals, Direct mail & joint marketing. Along of course with word of mouth but I love to tinker and try out new things.

I expect my phone to ring at least 10 times a day with customer enquiries and to honest I find makeing the phone ring more fun than the plumbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drumming up more business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock