Discuss Draining rad circuit in reverse maisonette in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like you said best, I've never had a problem emptying a system so I was a bit confused .
I still think I'm missing the problem !
Is it a basement or cellar ?
If it's ground floor, why can't the hose go out the door

Hi Best thanks for that, I need to have another look at it, I've got a feeling that being on a hill the light well which is on the other side of the window has a higher ground level than the level of the rad valve but I could be wrong. There is a drain in the light well which I should be able to push the hose down.

Last Plumber, I am wondering same, but maybe the door is on a higher floor and only windows on ground/basement floor. As long as the hose is at a much lower level then where it is draining, it will keep sucking out all the water, once started

Last edited:
Hi Best thanks for that, I need to have another look at it, I've got a feeling that being on a hill the light well which is on the other side of the window has a higher ground level than the level of the rad valve but I could be wrong. There is a drain in the light well which I should be able to push the hose down.

You definitely need the hose to go to a lower drain point, but you could try using a long or extended hose if it is possible to take the hose even if necessary over a hill until you can drop it to a lower level than the rad valve. Tip for starting a syphon without any effort is fill the hose with water from a main tap and keeping end closed to hold water in the hose, join to drain off and open other end of hose

Because there is no door, entrance is on first floor two bedrooms and a bathroom on ground floor into a light well (which I havnt got access into) there are windows in these ground floor rooms but I'm not sure the external ground level is lower than the rad valve I'd be draining from.

Actually you've just solved it for me best, extra long hose up the stairs through property door down stairs to front door and out into street then down the hill would do it wouldn't it, gonna need a few hoses joined together methinks

Last edited:
Pity if you can't get a lower ground level within a long hose length distance.
I wish I had bought one of the single water pumps that Lidl had in a clearance sale for £15 for such an occasion.

Actually you've just solved it for me best, extra long hose up the stairs through property door down stairs to front door and out into street then down the hill would do it wouldn't it, gonna need a few hoses joined together methinks

As long as the hose can't draw air in, you will get it all drained.
Just starting it flowing is the bit to overcome, - that's why I suggested you drain entire system from ground floor so you have plenty head of water above it.
Be careful your hoses and rad valve connections are good and stay with it. Don't want dirty heating water all over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Draining rad circuit in reverse maisonette in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock