Currently reading:
Do you use a wet pressure tester?

Discuss Do you use a wet pressure tester? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

markadams

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi,

I have always just trusted my soldering and filled the system slowly and checked each joint visually. I have done a few jobs where I am plumbing refurb from scratch and I am now wondering if I should really buy a wet pressure tester and do a proper test.

I have never really had a problem before but never say never.

Do you pressure test?

if your first fixing copper pipework that will be hard to access once the floors, ceiling and walls are finished then it can be a very good idea to pressure test the pipework. If its plastic is always good to pressure test.

I always pressure test. I just pump it up with a track pump I use a push fit scraeder valve

I test all new property at first fix. A load of speedfit caps and away you go.
Its a bit like taking an umbrella out so it doesn't rain. If you test you probably won't have any leaks, but if you don't you probably will!

I think you are right, it is time to buy a pressure tester, which one would you recommend?

Mark.

I have the plastic tanked rothenberger one. Takes ages to fill so if you can use a hose at first its quicker.

I have the plastic tanked rothenberger one. Takes ages to fill so if you can use a hose at first its quicker.

Yeh fit a tee on end of hose off hand pump fit a nrv or valve to branch then bush on a hose lock end. / easy to pre fill and isolate .

<sponsor alert>

Have a look at [DLMURL="http://www.tradeonlyplumbing.co.uk/tools-consumables/tools/testing-equipment/plumbing-testing/tt40-pressure-testing-pump.html"]one of these[/DLMURL].

Last edited by a moderator:
<sponsor alert>

Have a look at [DLMURL="http://www.tradeonlyplumbing.co.uk/tools-consumables/tools/testing-equipment/plumbing-testing/tt40-pressure-testing-pump.html"]one of these[/DLMURL].

to everyone who isn't registered with Williams. GET IT DONE NOW. If you need a pressure pump. That is half the price of any of any out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
New builds we do are pressure tested and sometimes extensions as said if there is many concealed joints, have had a 15mm elbow before that had a crack in it and didn't realise untill filling the system back up.
If it's not winter sometimes leave the system under pressure with a gauge on it, it may pass but that's not to say that another trade will damage a part of it or even worse in the past, sabotage it.

As I have not got the pressure tester YET, I tested this installation which consists of 120 metres of pipe and a lot of joints by connecting the hot and cold together and flow and return together. I connected a pressure gauge to the end on a washing machine valve so I could bleed the air out first.

I connected it to the 5 bar mains water and filled the pipework, after bleeding it I visually checked the joints and then left the pressure gauge connected for 4 hours.

System tests 100% no drop, so it is ready for the walls and ceilings to be boarded (-:

As I have not got the pressure tester YET, I tested this installation which consists of 120 metres of pipe and a lot of joints by connecting the hot and cold together and flow and return together. I connected a pressure gauge to the end on a washing machine valve so I could bleed the air out first.

I connected it to the 5 bar mains water and filled the pipework, after bleeding it I visually checked the joints and then left the pressure gauge connected for 4 hours.

System tests 100% no drop, so it is ready for the walls and ceilings to be boarded (-:
nothing wrong with doing it that way. It's under the same pressure that it will have when commissioned. But when using a pressure pump you test over the working pressure.
Tbh I don't know what pressure is recommended, ( hope someone will tell us) i do my instals at 9 bar for no apparent reason. :skep:

Should be tested at 1.5 times maximum working pressure. Plastics manufacturers may wan't it tested to a higher pressure. I believe JG ask for ten bar to set the fittings.

Should be tested at 1.5 times maximum working pressure. Plastics manufacturers may wan't it tested to a higher pressure. I believe JG ask for ten bar to set the fittings.

I try to avoid that nasty plastic stuff, copper all the way for me.

air testing is dangerous compared to using wata, especially if you dont have control of the property.

the damage a push fit cap end could do at just a few bar is scary.

Last edited:
Yeah I almost knocked a tiler out once when doing an air test. Cap to the back of his head... Ops

and i think its polypipe or hep who require 16 bar...

Ray the one your'e flogging has no product info.
what is the max pressure and tank size etc

cheers

air testing is dangerous compared to using wata, especially if you dont have control of the property.

the damage a push fit cap end could do at just a few bar is scary.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between bussing a cap in front of 5 bar of air or 5 bar of water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do you use a wet pressure tester? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back