Discuss Chemical Drain Unblocker in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

twitchboy

Not a tool as such, but which is the most effective chemical drain unblocker?

I've always used one shot but is there anything better?

The best ones are alkaline not acidic. Mostly fatty blockages , fats are made of hydrocarbons and a lot of organic material which has more bonds that are easily broken with alkaline. So things like hydrogen chloride ( bleach) is acidic as it increases h+ ions isn't any good but KOH potassium hydroxide or Ca(OH)2 calcium hydroxide will burn your fingers off even while your running them under cold water. As they have the magic OH- ions

The best ones are alkaline not acidic. Mostly fatty blockages , fats are made of hydrocarbons and a lot of organic material which has more bonds that are easily broken with alkaline. So things like hydrogen chloride ( bleach) is acidic as it increases h+ ions isn't any good but KOH potassium hydroxide or Ca(OH)2 calcium hydroxide will burn your fingers off even while your running them under cold water. As they have the magic OH- ions

Is there a particular brand because if I go into screwfix and start talking about hydrocarbons and alkalines they'll probably boot me out of the shop.

What ever drain cleaner you use make sure nothing has been put down already as chemical reaction can have deadly resultsi.e fumes or blowback its no laughing matterbeing sprayed with acid.....where possible try to use mechanical means to unblock......regards Turnpin:punk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Chemical Drain Unblocker in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock