Discuss Chemical Drain Unblocker in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

twitchboy

Not a tool as such, but which is the most effective chemical drain unblocker?

I've always used one shot but is there anything better?

The best ones are alkaline not acidic. Mostly fatty blockages , fats are made of hydrocarbons and a lot of organic material which has more bonds that are easily broken with alkaline. So things like hydrogen chloride ( bleach) is acidic as it increases h+ ions isn't any good but KOH potassium hydroxide or Ca(OH)2 calcium hydroxide will burn your fingers off even while your running them under cold water. As they have the magic OH- ions

The best ones are alkaline not acidic. Mostly fatty blockages , fats are made of hydrocarbons and a lot of organic material which has more bonds that are easily broken with alkaline. So things like hydrogen chloride ( bleach) is acidic as it increases h+ ions isn't any good but KOH potassium hydroxide or Ca(OH)2 calcium hydroxide will burn your fingers off even while your running them under cold water. As they have the magic OH- ions

Is there a particular brand because if I go into screwfix and start talking about hydrocarbons and alkalines they'll probably boot me out of the shop.

i used shift it few times, but dont use on wastes with plastic nuts. I hate chemicals overall. Prefer proper unblocking

Just read the ingredients list simples or download coshh sheet

i would only use chemicals as a last resort apart from urinals which should have spirits of salts down them once a month

What ever drain cleaner you use make sure nothing has been put down already as chemical reaction can have deadly resultsi.e fumes or blowback its no laughing matterbeing sprayed with acid.....where possible try to use mechanical means to unblock......regards Turnpin:punk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Chemical Drain Unblocker in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock