Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating pump on the way out? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rcflyers

I have a standard boiler that heats the hot water tank and radiators.
I have a timer which turns the radiator zone valve on at 6.00am then also turns on the hot water tank zone valve at 6.30am.

Recently I have noticed that when the hot water tank zone valve opens to heat the hot water tank, the radiators cool down to a point where they are almost cold.
When the hot water zone valve closes the radiators start to heat up again.

Our pump is a Grundfos UPS15-50.

Do they get tired?

If I put my ear close to the pump I can hear a soft crackling/popping noise which sounds like air in it.

I am struggling to see how there could be air in there.

There does not seem to be an air bleed screw on the pump head (although I could fit one)

Thanks for any replies.

Sounds more like the zone valve than the pump.

But on a technical note -

How would you and what method would you use to install an air bleed screw on the pump head?

i agree sounds like a fault with the zone valves possibly wiring needs looking at. have there been any works carried out on the system lately?

i agree sounds like a fault with the zone valves possibly wiring needs looking at. have there been any works carried out on the system lately?

I replaced the hot water cylinder zone valve a few months ago.

did you replace the wires like for like? it could be that a wire is not where it should be cutting out the heating when the water is being heated.

did you replace the wires like for like? it could be that a wire is not where it should be cutting out the heating when the water is being heated.

Yes, I took pictures and drew diagrams of the wiring before I touched it so I am confident it is as it was.

The heating has been off for a few hours.
I turned the hot water heating on, waited a few minutes for the pipes to the cylinder to heat up then turned the heating on and sure enough the heating zone valve opened and then warmed up within a few seconds so it would appear that both zone valves are open.
It seems that the water flow is favouring the cylinder over the radiators.

the cylinder is an easy route.
is there not a valve to restrict flow to the water side?
with just the heating do the radiators work well?
just set the water to be on at a different time to heating

yes pumps do slow down, get tired.
what speed is is set to? see if putting it up a speed helps.

Last edited:

That's what I thought, the water will go the route of least resistance, i.e through the cylinder.
When the cylinder zone valve closes the radiators all work perfectly.
Maybe I need a gate valve on the cylinder return pipe to restrict the flow somewhat?

yes pumps do slow down, get tired.
what speed is is set to? see if putting it up a speed helps.

The pump is on it's maximum speed now.

Could be the flow through the cylinder needing to be balanced down. But it's unusual for all radiators to completely stop working. Its possible you have a knackered pump or maybe debris if your system

Could be the flow through the cylinder needing to be balanced down. But it's unusual for all radiators to completely stop working. Its possible you have a knackered pump or maybe debris if your system

I guess a gate valve on the cylinder flow or return will sort that out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating pump on the way out? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock