Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating pump on the way out? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rcflyers

I have a standard boiler that heats the hot water tank and radiators.
I have a timer which turns the radiator zone valve on at 6.00am then also turns on the hot water tank zone valve at 6.30am.

Recently I have noticed that when the hot water tank zone valve opens to heat the hot water tank, the radiators cool down to a point where they are almost cold.
When the hot water zone valve closes the radiators start to heat up again.

Our pump is a Grundfos UPS15-50.

Do they get tired?

If I put my ear close to the pump I can hear a soft crackling/popping noise which sounds like air in it.

I am struggling to see how there could be air in there.

There does not seem to be an air bleed screw on the pump head (although I could fit one)

Thanks for any replies.

Sounds more like the zone valve than the pump.

But on a technical note -

How would you and what method would you use to install an air bleed screw on the pump head?

i agree sounds like a fault with the zone valves possibly wiring needs looking at. have there been any works carried out on the system lately?

i agree sounds like a fault with the zone valves possibly wiring needs looking at. have there been any works carried out on the system lately?

I replaced the hot water cylinder zone valve a few months ago.

did you replace the wires like for like? it could be that a wire is not where it should be cutting out the heating when the water is being heated.

did you replace the wires like for like? it could be that a wire is not where it should be cutting out the heating when the water is being heated.

Yes, I took pictures and drew diagrams of the wiring before I touched it so I am confident it is as it was.

The heating has been off for a few hours.
I turned the hot water heating on, waited a few minutes for the pipes to the cylinder to heat up then turned the heating on and sure enough the heating zone valve opened and then warmed up within a few seconds so it would appear that both zone valves are open.
It seems that the water flow is favouring the cylinder over the radiators.

the cylinder is an easy route.
is there not a valve to restrict flow to the water side?
with just the heating do the radiators work well?
just set the water to be on at a different time to heating

yes pumps do slow down, get tired.
what speed is is set to? see if putting it up a speed helps.

Last edited:

That's what I thought, the water will go the route of least resistance, i.e through the cylinder.
When the cylinder zone valve closes the radiators all work perfectly.
Maybe I need a gate valve on the cylinder return pipe to restrict the flow somewhat?

yes pumps do slow down, get tired.
what speed is is set to? see if putting it up a speed helps.

The pump is on it's maximum speed now.

Could be the flow through the cylinder needing to be balanced down. But it's unusual for all radiators to completely stop working. Its possible you have a knackered pump or maybe debris if your system

Could be the flow through the cylinder needing to be balanced down. But it's unusual for all radiators to completely stop working. Its possible you have a knackered pump or maybe debris if your system

I guess a gate valve on the cylinder flow or return will sort that out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating pump on the way out? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock