Discuss Bubbling in F & E tank???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Ljbaughn

There is a loud bang coming from the attic when the heating is turned on. It does not make a noise every time it is turned on. Perhaps once a week or so. It did it again yesterday, so this time I went up in the loft. It’s definitely the heating overflow tank but I don’t think it’s the valve. By the time I got the ladder it has virtually stopped, but when I looked in the tank air was bubbling up (quite violently) from the bottom of the tank. Turning the heating off makes it stop. When it does do it, it seems like a lot of air. Seems like more than could be in the system ? This morning the heating came on OK, with no noise, but the last radiator in the system (top floor shower room) had a loads of air in it.

Couple of things to note.
I don’t get any noise from the radiators just the loft tank.
It been over a week between occurrences even though the heating has been on every day.
My heating system is pumped (not gravity fed) due to the way the replacement boiler was connected up (before I bought the house).

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
for one reason or another your getting air iinto your sstem and its not vent through the vent pipe over the cwsc but via the exp pipe into the cwsc, so you may well have a blockage in your pipework. best to get a heating engineer in who understands older layouts to check it out for you.

You mentioned there the cwsc. I'm referring to the f and e tank. Also you say exp pipe but isn't that the same as the vent pipe? I would have thought air was coming up through cold feed pipe to the boiler....

sxorry meant f&e tank, being dozy feed and expn pipe is not the same as the vent pipe as one is a vent and the other the feed pipe and allows for water expansion. some do combine the two whch then leads to blockages over time at the junction of the 2.

How is air getting into the system in the first place? It's an open vented system. What's causing the air the be forced up that pipe? Also why does turning the heating system on cause this to occur?

water and air expand when heated, one reason you see it coming up feed/expn pipe, problems with neutral point and pump position another, really need to get someone to look at it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bubbling in F & E tank???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed...
Replies
Views
Hi there, My boiler (Worcester Greenstar Ri) has started making a soft knocking noise when it turns on, and again a few times when it turns off...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock