Discuss british gas flushing scam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
as in all walks of life you have the good and the bad, there is no disputing that BG have some very good engineers, But the point I am trying to make is this, If I went round doing the sort of thing that BG are doing, I would end up on rouge traders. So why arent they on there

Had another one today
an old lady who is clearly of the vunreable type, has had 5 visits from british gas in the last year. recomendations by the BG engineer include
buying a british gas carbon monoxide detector for a room sealed boiler.
having a heating system flush that is clearly labelled as having inhibitor.
Air vents for a room sealed boiler that clearly does not need air vents.

i have a carbon monoxide detector in my house and i have a room sealed boiler.. do you know that more people die from room sealed than any other..
this is a fact.

Trouble is BG powerflushes are outsourced and they give the contractor something like 3 hours to do the flush. If there is anyone out there that can do a proper powerflush on a 10 rad system in 3 hours (bearing in mind that BG are generally only called out when the sludge in the system is like tar) then I would like to meet you. I would be very glad to charge £600+ for a 3 hour job. BG are still cashing in on the public perception that they are the ultimate authority from the days when they used to be the statutory body.

you clearly dont no what you are talking about. BG engineers get a full day to do a powerflush

To call this a "SCAM" is completely wrong and very suspect in my very well informed opinion. There is pressure always to give "best advice"; if there is sludge, it must be addressed because, as professionals, you will all know, it will get worse. Prevention will certainly be better than cure. Clearly I work for BG (just for a while longer any way). As regards misdiagnosis, well that's inexcusable in such a basic case, I wouldn't even try to defend that. As for CO detectors we should all have one of those - it's best advice (again), hey folks, why not check out the Gas Safe site!
But I would like to let unguided know that there certainly isn't some organised plot to make sure people have powerflushes. I think what puts BG in poor light is the cost of everything. If it's continually happening in your area then maybe something isn't right, but hand on heart mate nothing like that is occurring to my knowledge.
Really interesting site though folks

well said

if you work for bg tell us do engineers get any bonus when they sell a powerflush to a customer ?

yes bg engineers do get paid to offer best advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I would Like to know is if this a nation wide thing that is going on why arent BG on a program Like rouge traders? because I know If I did this sort of thing I would be!!!!!
Regards
Mike
They were! about 4yrs ago on watchdog they ripped them to bits., I turned down a job with them in 2003, I didnt quite know what they wanted me tobe, as gas engineer or a salesman.

They were! about 4yrs ago on watchdog they ripped them to bits., I turned down a job with them in 2003, I didnt quite know what they wanted me tobe, as gas engineer or a salesman.[/QUOTE]

when you work for yourself you are both a gas engineer and a salesman but yet you want to slag bg of for been the same :D

went to my pals neighbour , BG said they won,t cover her back boiler any more, said goverment said they have to renew boiler , plus power flush needed . they have no money ..

went to my pals neighbour , BG said they won,t cover her back boiler any more, said goverment said they have to renew boiler , plus power flush needed . they have no money ..

i wouldnt have any money if i had a back boiler in my house LOL

They were! about 4yrs ago on watchdog they ripped them to bits., I turned down a job with them in 2003, I didnt quite know what they wanted me tobe, as gas engineer or a salesman.[/QUOTE]

when you work for yourself you are both a gas engineer and a salesman but yet you want to slag bg of for been the same :D
Good answer:p, but then I wont tell a customer that they need a power flush if its not needed or sell them a magnaclean as a "cure all bag of magic beans".

Good answer:p, but then I wont tell a customer that they need a power flush if its not needed or sell them a magnaclean as a "cure all bag of magic beans".

neither will most BG engineers.. if they did and they were found out they would be sacked..

the magnaclean is really good and its better to fit one before sludge has caused problems in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamep
Trouble is BG powerflushes are outsourced and they give the contractor something like 3 hours to do the flush. If there is anyone out there that can do a proper powerflush on a 10 rad system in 3 hours (bearing in mind that BG are generally only called out when the sludge in the system is like tar) then I would like to meet you. I would be very glad to charge £600+ for a 3 hour job. BG are still cashing in on the public perception that they are the ultimate authority from the days when they used to be the statutory body.

you clearly dont no what you are talking about. BG engineers get a full day to do a powerflush

Well if a system actually needs power flushing,maybe they do allow a day because they will use the time also to sell other stuff as well

But seeing how most of the power flushes they are doing are not needed and the systems are quite clean,We and BG Know 3 or 4 hrs is quite long enough to go through the motions and book in the works really required to sort out real problem(If there was on),charging on top for a motorized valve,balancing system, pump ect

Can not see what the problem is really if BG do not take large amounts of money off their aging customers for poor service,it will only be taken by the local council to pay for poor care,get in there first,that what I say,yeh:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to british gas flushing scam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock