Search the forum,

Discuss british gas flushing scam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

unguided1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
has anyone come across the scam where a customer calls out British gas on their service contract.
scenario.
First bg engineer turns up and says yes I know what the problem is, its a new pump or a new zone valve or a problem with the boiler. but I dont have the parts to fix it or I do electrics not plumbing I will send sombody out tomorrow. they turn off the system.

The second bg engineer turns and inspects the problem and announces there is nothing wrong with any of the parts on the system, what your system needs is a system flush, your not covered on your service contract so it is going to cost £600 + Vat. customer says get stuffed second Bg engineer leaves having done nothing to the system and left it not working.

This scenario has happend to three of my customers in southern oxfordshire in the last 3 Months.
resulting work
1 new pump fitted.
2 new zone valves fitted
1 new pump and 1 new 3 way valve.
If the second engineer reads this I owe you a drink for the extra work. Cheers (not that I need it).
If anyone else has had expirience of this let me know

Had another one today
an old lady who is clearly of the vunreable type, has had 5 visits from british gas in the last year. recomendations by the BG engineer include
buying a british gas carbon monoxide detector for a room sealed boiler.
having a heating system flush that is clearly labelled as having inhibitor.
Air vents for a room sealed boiler that clearly does not need air vents.

It happened to a young couple in Manchester.. they were on the British Gas monthly agreement.. when the central heating would not work.. the rads were not getting hot.. so they called BG out and they announced that they need to powerflush the system for 600 pound.. they thought it was abit high and called a local plumber (me!) for a second opinion, i checked the usual fault possiblities and noticed the pump (which was old) was not working.. changed the pump and fired up the boiler.. and hey presto.. the CH system is still working 4 weels later....

Trouble is BG powerflushes are outsourced and they give the contractor something like 3 hours to do the flush. If there is anyone out there that can do a proper powerflush on a 10 rad system in 3 hours (bearing in mind that BG are generally only called out when the sludge in the system is like tar) then I would like to meet you. I would be very glad to charge £600+ for a 3 hour job. BG are still cashing in on the public perception that they are the ultimate authority from the days when they used to be the statutory body.

I didn't have this but I did have a seriously high quote from them for a new combi boiler supplied and fitted.

Just thought it would be fun to see how much it would cost as I got letter saying that because I was a BG customer I was entitled to £800 discount on a new boiler and installation.

Including my discount quote came to £3,400. I think the boiler I was quoted for doubled up as space rocket, (bl***y wants to for for that price).

What I would Like to know is if this a nation wide thing that is going on why arent BG on a program Like rouge traders? because I know If I did this sort of thing I would be!!!!!
Regards
Mike

i had the same scenario about a year ago worcester combi 5 engineers had been al rercomending a system fush not covered by the plan. quote was £700.00. all that was wrong was the fan had gone not difficult to diagnose on a worcester as there a big red light that flashes
Even better story
i look after the plumbing at a large posh nursery in the city of london
been doing it a few years and could never explain to them that there gas board plan was a waste of money as they felt it was something special guaranteeing them expert service
a couple of years ago they called me out to water coming through the ceiling from the loft
on inspection it was like a rainforest up there with steam issueing from the F&E tank
I turned of the offending boiler and told them to contact BG
i then got a phone call from the nursery saying the BG engineer had been and there was nothing wrong with the boiler stat (my diagnosis)
and he had set the poiler up
next morning i got called out again as the topfloor ceiling was on the floor and the building was full of steam
i think the claim came to 22 grand and the best bit is I now look after the boilers

i think the claim came to 22 grand and the best bit is I now look after the boilers

Actually Steve the best bit would have been if you had confirmed that BG had to meet the claim! Not that we begrudge you the custom.

I have come across a few bad stories from another service contract insurance type company that "serve" the "Home".
A leak was "fixed" 3 times by an engineer only to still be causing problems, my mate found that after taking apart the connection they had squirted sealant into it.
Another one was when a toilet was not flushing the engineer took it apart and selotaped up the split membrane! The next engineer replaced it with another material which looked like a thick plastic carrier bag.
I'm now booked in to replace the whole inards of the cistern as it's failed again. He's cancelled the "insurance".

To call this a "SCAM" is completely wrong and very suspect in my very well informed opinion. There is pressure always to give "best advice"; if there is sludge, it must be addressed because, as professionals, you will all know, it will get worse. Prevention will certainly be better than cure. Clearly I work for BG (just for a while longer any way). As regards misdiagnosis, well that's inexcusable in such a basic case, I wouldn't even try to defend that. As for CO detectors we should all have one of those - it's best advice (again), hey folks, why not check out the Gas Safe site!
But I would like to let unguided know that there certainly isn't some organised plot to make sure people have powerflushes. I think what puts BG in poor light is the cost of everything. If it's continually happening in your area then maybe something isn't right, but hand on heart mate nothing like that is occurring to my knowledge.
Really interesting site though folks

To call this a "SCAM" is completely wrong and very suspect in my very well informed opinion. There is pressure always to give "best advice"; if there is sludge, it must be addressed because, as professionals, you will all know, it will get worse. Prevention will certainly be better than cure. Clearly I work for BG (just for a while longer any way). As regards misdiagnosis, well that's inexcusable in such a basic case, I wouldn't even try to defend that. As for CO detectors we should all have one of those - it's best advice (again), hey folks, why not check out the Gas Safe site!
But I would like to let unguided know that there certainly isn't some organised plot to make sure people have powerflushes. I think what puts BG in poor light is the cost of everything. If it's continually happening in your area then maybe something isn't right, but hand on heart mate nothing like that is occurring to my knowledge.
if you work for bg tell us do engineers get any bonus when they sell a powerflush to a customer ?

hi all
The reason why I called it a scam is because at the time of writing the thread, a number of BG customers in South Oxfordshire, had asked me for a second opinion on BGs diagnosis and in several cases, BG had failed to diagnose physical problems with the systems, including a broken pump and a leaking and broken diverter valve, and one Vunerable old lady who had a boiler less than 5 years old and stickers on it clearly stating dates and times when inhibitor had been put into the system.

The way that I saw it at the time of writing this thread is that BG did not cover power flushing on their maintenance scheme and saw it as an opertunity to make money. If the customer agreed to the power flush any faults on the system would then be rectified. If the customer then said no to the power flushing then BG refused to touch the system because it was not up to standard.
As I have said before I would like to thank BG for giving me more customers.
I would also like to say that as far as I am aware nothing like this has happend in the last 6 months to my knowledge, so maybe BG have changed their policy
Regards
Mike

had a bloke up my way (stockport/manchester) who had a BG engineer come over. changed his pump for him and advised him that he needed a power flush for a mear £590. so he called me lol.

funny enough went to one today under bg cover as land lord rents this flat through housing association who insist on cover,,new tenant moved in the other day,not heating,bg replaced pump still no heating,said needed flushing out £500 and then also say may still not work
anyway went there decorators had removed rads for painting,replaced and messed up balancing,1/2 hr all ok

Last edited by a moderator:
i heard bg asking for £250 to fit a magna clean.

pensioner i went to a few months ago was told by bg, if i remember right, £320 for a magna?. and you know what pentioners are like,= believe what they are told and easy targets. hmmm!.

I could write quite a list for bg, I dont blame the engineers. I will say though long live british gas, it helps make my customers love me.
For RoryD, it seems to common and widespread not to to be orchestrated.

A pensioner customer of mine had heating fitted on the warmfront scheme and her daughter wanted to get BG cover for her mums 'peace of mind'. BG told the OAP that they wont cover it until a shock arrester was fitted which they could do at a cost of £275 (if i remember correctly).
I went to replace the kitchen taps and jambed washing machine valve and whilst i was there with water off fitted a shock arrester. Took me all of 3 minutes to fit the shock arrester which cost about £40 with a tee piece.

I could write quite a list for bg, I dont blame the engineers. I will say though long live british gas, it helps make my customers love me.
For RoryD, it seems to common and widespread not to to be orchestrated.

You can't hide something like that if it were orchestrated. The Hierarchy is more interested in BG's shareprice mate, could u imagine the effect of that if it were true!!? Unfortunately the engineers don't fix the prices, we fix boilers and in the vast majority of cases we get it right. We can all find exceptions, anyway, I'm not here to defend BG, I do have an opinion but clearly can't expound them fully at this time. At least you blokes are making dough so something good has come out of it.

Hi all
as in all walks of life you have the good and the bad, there is no disputing that BG have some very good engineers, But the point I am trying to make is this, If I went round doing the sort of thing that BG are doing, I would end up on rouge traders. So why arent they on there

Had another one today
an old lady who is clearly of the vunreable type, has had 5 visits from british gas in the last year. recomendations by the BG engineer include
buying a british gas carbon monoxide detector for a room sealed boiler.
having a heating system flush that is clearly labelled as having inhibitor.
Air vents for a room sealed boiler that clearly does not need air vents.

i have a carbon monoxide detector in my house and i have a room sealed boiler.. do you know that more people die from room sealed than any other..
this is a fact.

Trouble is BG powerflushes are outsourced and they give the contractor something like 3 hours to do the flush. If there is anyone out there that can do a proper powerflush on a 10 rad system in 3 hours (bearing in mind that BG are generally only called out when the sludge in the system is like tar) then I would like to meet you. I would be very glad to charge £600+ for a 3 hour job. BG are still cashing in on the public perception that they are the ultimate authority from the days when they used to be the statutory body.

you clearly dont no what you are talking about. BG engineers get a full day to do a powerflush

well said

if you work for bg tell us do engineers get any bonus when they sell a powerflush to a customer ?

yes bg engineers do get paid to offer best advice.

What I would Like to know is if this a nation wide thing that is going on why arent BG on a program Like rouge traders? because I know If I did this sort of thing I would be!!!!!
Regards
Mike
They were! about 4yrs ago on watchdog they ripped them to bits., I turned down a job with them in 2003, I didnt quite know what they wanted me tobe, as gas engineer or a salesman.

They were! about 4yrs ago on watchdog they ripped them to bits., I turned down a job with them in 2003, I didnt quite know what they wanted me tobe, as gas engineer or a salesman.[/QUOTE]

when you work for yourself you are both a gas engineer and a salesman but yet you want to slag bg of for been the same :D

went to my pals neighbour , BG said they won,t cover her back boiler any more, said goverment said they have to renew boiler , plus power flush needed . they have no money ..

went to my pals neighbour , BG said they won,t cover her back boiler any more, said goverment said they have to renew boiler , plus power flush needed . they have no money ..

i wouldnt have any money if i had a back boiler in my house LOL

They were! about 4yrs ago on watchdog they ripped them to bits., I turned down a job with them in 2003, I didnt quite know what they wanted me tobe, as gas engineer or a salesman.[/QUOTE]

when you work for yourself you are both a gas engineer and a salesman but yet you want to slag bg of for been the same :D
Good answer:p, but then I wont tell a customer that they need a power flush if its not needed or sell them a magnaclean as a "cure all bag of magic beans".

Good answer:p, but then I wont tell a customer that they need a power flush if its not needed or sell them a magnaclean as a "cure all bag of magic beans".

neither will most BG engineers.. if they did and they were found out they would be sacked..

the magnaclean is really good and its better to fit one before sludge has caused problems in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamep

you clearly dont no what you are talking about. BG engineers get a full day to do a powerflush

Well if a system actually needs power flushing,maybe they do allow a day because they will use the time also to sell other stuff as well

But seeing how most of the power flushes they are doing are not needed and the systems are quite clean,We and BG Know 3 or 4 hrs is quite long enough to go through the motions and book in the works really required to sort out real problem(If there was on),charging on top for a motorized valve,balancing system, pump ect

Can not see what the problem is really if BG do not take large amounts of money off their aging customers for poor service,it will only be taken by the local council to pay for poor care,get in there first,that what I say,yeh:rolleyes:

neither will most BG engineers.. if they did and they were found out they would be sacked..

the magnaclean is really good and its better to fit one before sludge has caused problems in my opinion.
The impression that I got from my interview and from current bg engineers is that you are pressured into making sales, and have to hit certain targets If thats not the case heating-eng then fair play to you, but thats the impression that I got.
And btw I love Magna cleans, but wtf is a magan clean going to do when fitted to an already sludged up system?, sorry good point Bg have just power flushed it for £600.

my only experience of bg is that i had a service contract with them 20 yrs back and they couldnt spot a failed pump then, my mate fixed it within 10 mins, they had sent out 4 different engineers.
More recently, they quoted £4500 to an old couple for a boiler replacement! I got the job for a lot less.
Best of all, i was repairing a leaky tap for an old boy who's combi had broken down, and he had bg out to repair it under a boiler service contract. I was in the loo working away, bg arrives and within 5 minutes was selling a magna clean, didnt even have the front off the boiler, i walk into kitchen, offer my humble opinion that prehaps he needs to actually look at the fault or b***er off. Off comes the front in goes a new hw diaphram, all ok. Old boy fed me tea and bics whilst all this going on, and guess whos servicing his boiler next yr, now the contracts cancelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamep

Well if a system actually needs power flushing,maybe they do allow a day because they will use the time also to sell other stuff as well

But seeing how most of the power flushes they are doing are not needed and the systems are quite clean,We and BG Know 3 or 4 hrs is quite long enough to go through the motions and book in the works really required to sort out real problem(If there was on),charging on top for a motorized valve,balancing system, pump ect

Can not see what the problem is really if BG do not take large amounts of money off their aging customers for poor service,it will only be taken by the local council to pay for poor care,get in there first,that what I say,yeh:rolleyes:

upgrade engineers as they are called are normally the lowest preformers when it comes to selling and would not try and sell something while doing a powerflush from my experance..
i would love to look at all your perfect jobs as most plumbers and heating engineers are perfect:eek: i think not

The impression that I got from my interview and from current bg engineers is that you are pressured into making sales, and have to hit certain targets If thats not the case heating-eng then fair play to you, but thats the impression that I got.
And btw I love Magna cleans, but wtf is a magan clean going to do when fitted to an already sludged up system?, sorry good point Bg have just power flushed it for £600.

you do not get any targets but are expected to give best advise ...

if it needs a powerflush then tell the customer if it doesnt then tell the customer that as well.

upgrade engineers as they are called are normally the lowest preformers when it comes to selling and would not try and sell something while doing a powerflush from my experance..
i would love to look at all your perfect jobs as most plumbers and heating engineers are perfect:eek: i think not
I dont claim tobe perfect heat-eng, jesus Ive had my fair share of f**k ups, but Ive always tried to be honest like you and probably the majority of bg engineers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to british gas flushing scam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock