Search the forum,

Discuss breakdown and repairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jack.frost

What's the best way to learn to do breakdown and repairs? Any recommendations?

I was thinking that, a few companies offer courses.. What would I do if I took a job and couldn't fix it though? Would make me look like a right amateur and lose future custom

I was thinking that, a few companies offer courses.. What would I do if I took a job and couldn't fix it though? Would make me look like a right amateur and lose future custom

Be logical, methodical, start with the basics and just be honest with your customer 'Never worked on this particular model before, but i'll give it a go'

As others have said just get on as many courses as you can and hit the books, learn how to use a multimeter properly

AW cheers forya help , I'm used to installs want to get into breakdowns, ..any recommendations on make /model of multi metres? And yes gas work ,

a risk you run ! have an engineer to fall back on who can attend with you after :)
will cost you at first but in the long run you'll learn more !!

Good ideha may av2 get sum1 on speed dial...
Do you think British gas would let me go with one of their engineers if I work for free? Sounds like a long shot but maybe one of u lot know something /someone I don't .

Boiler technical services are always your friend (mostly)
a good deal of info on here for common problems and we all share experience. Is all hidden in the gas forum tho which you will have to apply to get into. It's worth it tho,there is a wealth of experience in there.
Good luck mate.

Call some one u know when your stuck. U want my 090 number ÂŁ1.50per min! Learn how boiler works from diagram and fault tree it's easy after that. Also use the mfrs installation and servicing manual as they almost all have fault trees. Or do and I do and get in tune with the boiler soul!

Ask the customer over the phone what make and model the boiler is and a brief description of the fault. if youre unsure, research it a little o you know what you're up against a bit more when you arrive at the job

All really helpful replies, was thinking repairs and maintenance as I want to study electrical engineering two days a week

ask them over the phone for a make and model and the answer i bet will be "ummmmm ...... its white , does that help" also when you ask for M.I they can never find them! i belive that an ipad with an app for all the M.I is the way forward, connect to the property's wifi and you could even post it up on here whilst still at the job, or search the web for the technical helpline number ect ect!!!! then once your finished you can do the invoice in the van and list all the parts you have used to the job! defo the way forward for breakdown engineers imho!!

[DLMURL="http://www.gasinstallersworkmate.com/index.php/2011/10/gas-installers-workmate-mobile-boiler-manuals/http://www.gasinstallersworkmate.com/index.php/2012/04/gas-installers-workmate-mobile-fires-cookers-and-stoves-edition/you"]Boiler manuals and fire manuals software - Kane Flue Gas Analyser Products - Gas Installers Workmate[/DLMURL] can also get them for the gas rates and for the ventilation req!! another app for the invoice making, list everything you have used and the labour time so the invoice is done on site, email them to your home computer and make the wife print them out at night and post them out! could also get an app to do your timesheets ect!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is how i leaned (before internets and mobile phones).
Sit and follow the fault finding bits at the back of the books, scratch your head because they will probably never lead you to the simple fault.
Give up in frustration and say you'll call back tomorrow.
Nip in to see one of the guys i knew who did breakdown all the time and see what he is doing the next night.
Take him to the job and he fixes it straight away and tells me why and what to look for.
I pick up the ÂŁ100 for the work and pay him ÂŁ80.
You pay for your lessons one way or the other.
Do you think British gas would let me go with one of their engineers if I work for free? Sounds like a long shot but maybe one of u lot know something /someone I don't .

:rofl::rofl: very good.
Better applying for a job with them. Chances are you might get in as you will be as good as some of the idiots who now work there.
They however have the advantage of a lead engineer on the end of the phone to talk them through things.

Also a van of "free" parts think they have David Bowie "changes" playing in vans on loop to brain wash them!!

if your stuck for old boiler manuals and you've got an iPhone i bought this really good app the other day, think its called gas workmate or something like that, its got every boiler manual you'll ever need, really good investment i thought.

if your stuck for old boiler manuals and you've got an iPhone i bought this really good app the other day, think its called gas workmate or something like that, its got every boiler manual you'll ever need, really good investment i thought.

I couldn't find this on gas installers work mate tho. Don't think it's condensing
udazazyb.jpg

Something I'm also interested in, when serving my time I never really got alot of breakdown work it was mainly servicing. Ive no idea how to find continuity, check for polarity etc and what a good reading is on a multimeter in regards to amps, ohms etc when testing over a component.

Is there courses for this kind of stuff?

Hiya jack.frost - breakdown & repair is the most lucrative aspect of plumbing and heating
however you will need loads of experience to be good at it.

I suggest you go work for an outfit with 5 -20 fellas on and mesh in with them for a while - doing emergencies on your own is not for the faint hearted - I know. My mate at BG does them but is
a real kitten on his own cause at work he can call up help.

Gettin paid for emergencies is also a potential nightmare - CHK
What's the best way to learn to do breakdown and repairs? Any recommendations?

Yum ! Yum ! Amac whats the site please ? I normally use a BG computer thing myself
but this sounds similar CHK

there is only one way to learn and thats to get in amongst it, can be painful hence the need for a mentor on the end of a phone

I asked the very same question to another plumber once and he told me the best way to learn is to :nono: it up!

Not far from the truth if you ask me. We all learn from our mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, what the hell is that? looks like something you could make beer in.

It's called Gas Installers Workmate, its not cheep but if I'm doing breakdowns I use it every time.

Unfortunately this topic is all down to experience, no freshly qualified plumber can breeze this, boilers nowadays are more of a electricians job. Make friends is my advice!! Typical apprentice jobs of 'learning from mistakes' is the best! I normally crack boiler breakdowns but some ive asked others inc more experienced plumbers on this forum - bod, diamondgas, centralheatking has helped me in the past

Unfortunately this topic is all down to experience, no freshly qualified plumber can breeze this, boilers nowadays are more of a electricians job. Make friends is my advice!! Typical apprentice jobs of 'learning from mistakes' is the best! I normally crack boiler breakdowns but some ive asked others inc more experienced plumbers on this forum - bod, diamondgas, centralheatking has helped me in the past

that means a lot fella it really does am glad I've helped , same as I've rang gasman , Croppie etc and asked for some guidance and am sure gasman will acknowledge he has rang me too a few times ,Were all learning non of us know everything unless your Kirk or tamz

Live asked many a questions , some may seem dumb but if I don't know I don't know , but I ya know,something someone else doesn't

that means a lot fella it really does am glad I've helped , same as I've rang gasman , Croppie etc and asked for some guidance and am sure gasman will acknowledge he has rang me too a few times ,Were all learning non of us know everything unless your Kirk or tamz

Live asked many a questions , some may seem dumb but if I don't know I don't know , but I ya know,something someone else doesn't

Fully agree lee, plumbing scope is far too wide to know EVERYTHING! I installed a Vokera for first time 2 days ago, rang up regarding external controls, waited 10mins to get connecting to a absolute pr*** who told me to 'wind my neck in' and told me ive sent 240v through the room stat terminal (when i crossed the wires from the room stat there) he took the mick out of me and laughed down the phone and told his mate (this guy on the phone is a idiot) lol no but u sorted my problem with a baxi 105 last time i had bother i think, regarding a flow switch. At least i thought it was u haha this forum has helped me massively even though ive been banned quite a bit haha

The hardest question in the world will always be the one you don't know the answer to.

I've rung gas man and he's rung me too. Knowledge is something to be shared, not hoarded. No one knows everything but everyone knows someone who knows something.

Which makes the UKPF the best plumbing forum on t'interweb.

Dead right Jon it is the best forum on the internet and it also has the best people on it US

Centralheatking TE=croppie;587142]The hardest question in the world will always be the one you don't know the answer to.

I've rung gas man and he's rung me too. Knowledge is something to be shared, not hoarded. No one knows everything but everyone knows someone who knows something.

Which makes the UKPF the best plumbing forum on t'interweb.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to breakdown and repairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days it's increased whilst cold...is this a regular problem.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock