Discuss boiler kettlin, what chems? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWheating

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
when you have a system that needs flushing and the boiler is kettlin what cleaner do you recommend for a gravity/mains flush? and what success have you had in the past with boiler silencer chems?

i was thinking x800 left in for 2-3 days and then x200 or F2 if needed.

With old cast iron hex's we use to take them outside and try and clean out the rust deposits best possible! Actually before anyone got into system design I remember an old plumber would put washing-up liquid in to 'soften' the noise!!! Seriously :)

The only sure way of remedying kettling, in my experience is to get rid of the iron 'flakes' that have fallen inside the heatexchanger! It's there where the 'kettling' occurs!

U can get descaler which is dilute brick acid basically. 10% lifts lots out but if it's boiling over be carful as loft will fill with chlorine vapour .

Cleaned a pump with fairy liquid once , to use it for some circulating project .
It washed what looked like carbon/Graphite out -- of bearings ...It died pretty soon after !

Don't think fairy is the answer.

U can get descaler which is dilute brick acid basically. 10% lifts lots out but if it's boiling over be carful as loft will fill with chlorine vapour .

ive consider fx2 or simular in the past but not so easy to neutralize the system without a PF machine which would put me off.

FX2 from Kamco or DS40 from Fernox. Both have a neutraliser sachet. Get boiler up to temp, run for 3-4 hours. Drain once, add neutraliser, DS40 has a colour change so you can see when neutral. If not litmus papers are £2 from Pets at Home. Most kettling from experience has been scale build up so stick with acids. Add protector and jobs a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler kettlin, what chems? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back