Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss boiler kettlin, what chems? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWheating

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
when you have a system that needs flushing and the boiler is kettlin what cleaner do you recommend for a gravity/mains flush? and what success have you had in the past with boiler silencer chems?

i was thinking x800 left in for 2-3 days and then x200 or F2 if needed.

With old cast iron hex's we use to take them outside and try and clean out the rust deposits best possible! Actually before anyone got into system design I remember an old plumber would put washing-up liquid in to 'soften' the noise!!! Seriously :)

The only sure way of remedying kettling, in my experience is to get rid of the iron 'flakes' that have fallen inside the heatexchanger! It's there where the 'kettling' occurs!

U can get descaler which is dilute brick acid basically. 10% lifts lots out but if it's boiling over be carful as loft will fill with chlorine vapour .

Cleaned a pump with fairy liquid once , to use it for some circulating project .
It washed what looked like carbon/Graphite out -- of bearings ...It died pretty soon after !

Don't think fairy is the answer.

U can get descaler which is dilute brick acid basically. 10% lifts lots out but if it's boiling over be carful as loft will fill with chlorine vapour .

ive consider fx2 or simular in the past but not so easy to neutralize the system without a PF machine which would put me off.

FX2 from Kamco or DS40 from Fernox. Both have a neutraliser sachet. Get boiler up to temp, run for 3-4 hours. Drain once, add neutraliser, DS40 has a colour change so you can see when neutral. If not litmus papers are £2 from Pets at Home. Most kettling from experience has been scale build up so stick with acids. Add protector and jobs a good one.

2 votes for fairy lol i still use it on open vented to soften it up never had a problem :hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler kettlin, what chems? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock