Search the forum,

Discuss Oil Boiler and System upgrade in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and given its age he recommended getting quotes for a new boiler and updating from a gravity system. After inviting a few plumbers round we have had a mixed response.
Our house is currently a detached 2 bathroom built in 1993 with the original Boulter Camray 3 oil boiler and gravity (Y?) system with hot water tank, pump and motorised valve in an airing cupboard next to the bathroom and a cold water tank and radiator expansion tank in the attic. Water pressure is 6 bar at the garden tap with 22mm to existing water tank in attic.

While both recommend a new heat oil boiler moving 5 m back into the remaining garage and pressurising both the hotwater and radiator systems rather than anything else, one plumber has proposed trying to fit a new pressurised tank and radiator expansion in the existing airing cupboard, while the second (recommended by the builder) has suggested moving the hotwater tank and expansion vessels to the ground floor in the garage adjacent to the new sectioned utility.

I would appreciate any advice on these proposal or any specific questions or info i should be asking for.
  • If moving the hotwater tank pumps and expansion vessels into the garage are there any special considerations? it would take longer for the water to get hot to the tap and shower but would this design still heat the top floors and provide adequate water flow?
  • Would a 93 house with copper pipes be ok to pressurise?
  • The builders recommended plumber is not currently OFTEC registered but has fitted a number of oil boilers before and gets the work inspected and signed off.
  • what size of tank would i expect for a 4 person 2 bathroom house.
  • Is there anything specific i should be asking for with the change of system (mag filters, pressure cleaning of system, agitators?)
  • The plumbers are both recommending Worcester Bosch oil boilers.
  • For the garage install they are recommending plastic first fix with copper for the visible parts, is this common practice or should i consider all copper as we do get mice in the garage. there would be a new plastic 22mm feed from the airing cupboard to the new tank in the garage

Appreciate any advice that can be offered.

What’s Bering done with the floor ?

What’s Bering done with the floor ?
The concrete floor in the attached garage for the utility section where the oil boiler sits is being raised 25cm on floating or joists (TBA) (building regs?) Plumber believes cant get new flue parts for a 30 year old boiler and is concerned about moving it. A consideration for moving new HW tank to garage is that a wall is being taken down (unsupported) for the utility and the ceiling replaced. This gives access to the current pipes to the bottom of the current airing cupboard to the garage so floors wouldn't have to be lifted to run new pipes.

First thing don't fit any oil boiler that begins with a W
Houndsfield if system small enough Grant if larger system Grant now 10 years warranty.
Thanks for the reply, current boiler is a Camray 3 70/90 which I believe is around 23-26KW. i did reach out to the only Grant fitter in 30 miles but didn't have a response. One plumber has said he would possibly fit Grant but isn't an approved installer.

Hounsfield boiler for me as above. In conjunction with an unvented cylinder.

Any existing pipework in concrete floors? Have plumbers spoken about potential issues of sealing heating system?

Oftec is only one of the competent person schemes out there, in fact a new one came into being only last month. Oilsafe.
As long as it complies and you get your building reg certificate then not a problem. I haven't been oftec for quite some time. Any installations are notified direct to building control.

Hounsfield boiler for me as above. In conjunction with an unvented cylinder.

Any existing pipework in concrete floors? Have plumbers spoken about potential issues of sealing heating system?

Oftec is only one of the competent person schemes out there, in fact a new one came into being only last month. Oilsafe.
As long as it complies and you get your building reg certificate then not a problem. I haven't been oftec for quite some time. Any installations are notified direct to building control.

hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe all new piping would go up into garage loft space.

Not had any info on sealed systems but a quick search on here implies i may need to be wary of pipework and may need to change all my existing taps as for gravity system, would welcome some specific advice around this.

is there any thoughts on a model of unvented tank and pumps as would be moving to garage. Not heard of Hounsfield, is there a specific model or configuration i should be looking at?

Reply to Oil Boiler and System upgrade in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock