Discuss Boiler Heat Exchanger busted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Well Bosch are saying they will come round and charge £315 in total to change anything that is needed to be changed? That includes heat exchanger, pump, etc. Would that be a good option?
You can but to me, a boiler in that condition needs changing. But it’s your call. A new boiler with possibly a 10 year warranty. Or repair the old one?

I get what you're saying Harvest Fields. I'm selling the house so I'm in 2 minds about it and tbh it's only 5 years old... so with a complete refresh from Bosch I can't see too much harm getting it repaired with some fresh components. I equally could buy an Ideal or something for 900 or so and get it fitted... still means the system might need to be flushed out before this is all done.

I get what you're saying Harvest Fields. I'm selling the house so I'm in 2 minds about it and tbh it's only 5 years old... so with a complete refresh from Bosch I can't see too much harm getting it repaired with some fresh components. I equally could buy an Ideal or something for 900 or so and get it fitted... still means the system might need to be flushed out before this is all done.
True. If you go with Worcester. Get it in an email, that there are no hidden costs and that it will definitely be repaired. They will probably also want you to take out a 12 month insurance policy with them. Make sure this isn’t also extra.

They said I had 2 options, one being repair boiler all in all cost of £315, or take out yearly insurance of £375 part+lab+callout included. Will choose option 1 once system as been cleaned. Tbf maybe just using chemicals to flush the system out is enough rather than having to power flush?

They said I had 2 options, one being repair boiler all in all cost of £315, or take out yearly insurance of £375 part+lab+callout included. Will choose option 1 once system as been cleaned. Tbf maybe just using chemicals to flush the system out is enough rather than having to power flush?
Not in my experience. Only one way to tell though.
Nothing beats a powerflush

System would need a flush as part of install

Hmm I guess. Hopefully it's just a bunch of airlocking/some sludge and a good clean with chemicals left to descale the system will be enough. Is flushing the system a hard thing to do (not power flush)? Shall we clean the F&E tank manually (remove any sludge before it's drained?)? Not entirely sure the full process A-Z of cleaning the system with chemicals (something like sentinal x300)?

Hmm I guess. Hopefully it's just a bunch of airlocking/some sludge and a good clean with chemicals left to descale the system will be enough. Is flushing the system a hard thing to do (not power flush)? Shall we clean the F&E tank manually (remove any sludge before it's drained?)? Not entirely sure the full process A-Z of cleaning the system with chemicals (something like sentinal x300)?
X800 will be what is needed.

You’re going to spend more doing a proper flush and repairing the boiler and installing a magnaclean etc

You’re going to spend more doing a proper flush and repairing the boiler and installing a magnaclean etc
Flush is going to be needed either way though right? Boiler repair is £315 and magnaclean is £90 + £50 fitting (from my gas dude), that's £450. New boiler + flush is gonna be at least double that i'd assume...

10 year warranty on the hex how old is the boiler

get worcester to supply you with a nex hex then get a local gas guy or worcester to fit as your in london rates can differ alot

Was about to say that. But looking at the picture that isn’t a bad deal from Worcester. Especially if they said they would change the pump also.

they wont as its not a worcester part eg boiler part

Yeah that wilo yonos pico pump was fine he said

IMG_20190610_200213281.jpg

Thing i didn't understand is when i turned it to vent mode (set in the middle) i had no idea where it was venting air from..... there's no escape valve...

That’s a problem that goes back way further than recent work you’ve had done. Get Worcester to repair the boiler, get someone to powerflush the system and investigate why the problem occurred in the first place. I can’t see in the airing cupboard pic but is there a bypass and is it open? Also it might be that air is getting into the system.

could of just airlocked in the first place so might be no fault

Yeah I called them up and they registered it for me :D

This is what's messed up with this trade at the moment. A boiler in stalled by a bg engineer but not by so a cash install that wont be registered with building control not registered with Worcester phone them up 5 years later and they register it.

No other trade would have that but ours just gets screwed over.

This is what's messed up with this trade at the moment. A boiler in stalled by a bg engineer but not by so a cash install that wont be registered with building control not registered with Worcester phone them up 5 years later and they register it.

No other trade would have that but ours just gets screwed over.

Also guy who installed it wasn’t gas safe as they arnt qualified out of hours / do jobs on there own time but many do

Also guy who installed it wasn’t gas safe as they arnt qualified out of hours / do jobs on there own time but many do

That's what I mean.

Worcester should turn around and say hahaha tough boobies (I'm guessing the other words I'd use would be blocked :)) you should of got it done properly now pay to get it repaired or replaced.

Fit a lot of these boilers at work. Have had terrible trouble with some of them airlocking.

They do exactly what you have described. My money would be on that.

Millsy 82 I guess you haven't got an actual say on the situation (i.e. what one would do) rather than the initial installation that I had no control over o_O

Hmm KingDoey it's kinda funny because I did think it was an airlock but that PP was convinced it's sludge. I find it interesting how if it is an airlock, bleeding rads doesn't solve the issue...

Reply to Boiler Heat Exchanger busted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
  • Question
We just had a service done on our Ideal ICOS boiler and were told that the 2 screws on the back of the heat exchanger have snapped off. It was...
Replies
Views
Hi, Boiler is losing pressure, from 1.5 bar to 0 bar in about 4 hours. Have checked all rads and seem to be fine, no water out external prv...
Replies
Views
I have a thermal store heated by a boiler with its own thermostat. I also have a stove with a back boiler. The stove heats water in a separate...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Have a peculiar problem with my Gloworm Flexicom 30cx combi boiler, the main heat exchanger is getting red hot and fault coding on...
Replies
Views
I have a Baxi Duo Tech 28 HE. According to an online search with the serial number and GC number, I should have a 20-plate heat exchanger. So, I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock