Currently reading:
Boiler Heat Exchanger busted

Discuss Boiler Heat Exchanger busted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys,

Quick question. Had 2 new rads fitted (system was drained) but I didn't test the hot water or heating after he fitted the rads. 4-5 days later I noticed there was no hot water (wasn't in the house) and I kept hearing clanging sounds after the boiler has tried to ignite then shutdown. Only rad that got hot when heating was turned on is one above boiler, rad in the room next to it got a bit hot when i turned the first one off but not fully hot. Plumber came round and said f&e tank was contaminated and when the system got drained, sludge may have gone into the system and caused the heat exchanger in the boiler to overheat. He cut the boiler off from the gas and just labeled it not usable.

So I have a couple of options. I was gonna go with buying a combi boiler that will require the system be drained and flushed anyway, and he said the current boiler is beyond repair because the heat exchanger is expensive.

I saw on ebay a refurb for £55, and I'm thinking, can we not just power flush the system, then install the new heat exchanger, make sure the f&e tank has no gunk, and all good? Or is this a bad idea? This is a vented system btw. Picture of boiler is attached (worcester bosch greenstar 24 ri)

IMG-20190610-WA0004.jpeg

Hmm I guess. Hopefully it's just a bunch of airlocking/some sludge and a good clean with chemicals left to descale the system will be enough. Is flushing the system a hard thing to do (not power flush)? Shall we clean the F&E tank manually (remove any sludge before it's drained?)? Not entirely sure the full process A-Z of cleaning the system with chemicals (something like sentinal x300)?
X800 will be what is needed.

You’re going to spend more doing a proper flush and repairing the boiler and installing a magnaclean etc
Flush is going to be needed either way though right? Boiler repair is £315 and magnaclean is £90 + £50 fitting (from my gas dude), that's £450. New boiler + flush is gonna be at least double that i'd assume...

get worcester to supply you with a nex hex then get a local gas guy or worcester to fit as your in london rates can differ alot

Was about to say that. But looking at the picture that isn’t a bad deal from Worcester. Especially if they said they would change the pump also.

they wont as its not a worcester part eg boiler part

That’s a problem that goes back way further than recent work you’ve had done. Get Worcester to repair the boiler, get someone to powerflush the system and investigate why the problem occurred in the first place. I can’t see in the airing cupboard pic but is there a bypass and is it open? Also it might be that air is getting into the system.

Reply to Boiler Heat Exchanger busted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back