Discuss Bathroom radiator won’t heat up/manual valve in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Did you have to refill the heating system / did you notice the pressure drop when you did the test ?
Hi, in order to check the valves properly we disconnected the valves and drained the water from the radiator. After which we had to refill the system to replace the several litres of water which we drained out of the radiator. When we did the test we have bled water out of the radiator so that causes the pressure in the system to drop and we have refilled the pressure to the correct level using the filling loop on the boiler. The boiler was turned off when we did this test to prevent this from kicking in automatically, as it is cold outside. In the later part of the test we have put the boiler back on to test if the radiator gets hot which it isn't.

When you say did we notice the pressure drop when we did the test. Do you mean looking at the flow of water from the valve or the overall pressure in the system?

That’s fine it’s not unheard of the bathroom rad being off the hot water side

Just to be certain you say your boiler is a worcester heat slave it is a combi?
If that is the case heating flow going cooler when running hot would be normal.

That’s fine it’s not unheard of the bathroom rad being off the hot water side
Disconnect both sides of the rad and then open each valve in turn into a bucket/rubble sack to prove there is flow at both the flow and return.

Once done, reconnect the rad and bleed half the rad through the flow and half the rad through the return.

Then close all the other rads in the property leaving the problem rad open.

Report findings.
Just to be certain you say your boiler is a worcester heat slave it is a combi?
If that is the case heating flow going cooler when running hot would be normal.
Hi, yes it’s a combi boiler. We think it could be a problem with the boiler pump which after checking the receipts further looks like the original pump that was put in back in 2003, unless anyone has any other ideas we could try. Thanks

I see you indicated the return valve needed 2 1/4 turns before water came out that would be my main suspect.
I've seen some of the cheaper types of the rad valves like yours have non rising head works that can jam fully open or virtually closed.

I see you indicated the return valve needed 2 1/4 turns before water came out that would be my main suspect.
I've seen some of the cheaper types of the rad valves like yours have non rising head works that can jam fully open or virtually closed.
Hi, the reason we took the radiator fully off was so that we could see sideways into the valve. We could see that when turned the valves were opening and closing. The valves were atleast £30 so I wouldn’t say that they were cheap…

Turn all the other trvs off and retest does that one heat up ?

Piping to the rad faulty if your getting flow from each side so never worked

Reply to Bathroom radiator won’t heat up/manual valve in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
I am after an advice, please. We have a vertical radiator from Reina, Evie, that heats up only 2nd column fully, 1,3 and 4 are lukewarm. I...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Evening all. I have an open vented C/H system with a heat only boiler and 10 rads over 3 floors. I checked the system mid summer and all was ok...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock